RW's Foundation raises millions. Less than half goes to charity

CPHawk

Reaction score
I bet his daughters volleyball team needed a gym. So they used some money for the charity of “youth sports.”

In seriousness charity is usually a scam. Places that ask for you if you want to round up and donate to whatever they say they are giving money to, usually have a goal amount. Then once they hit it, the rest goes to their pocket.

Last edited:

QWERTY

Reaction score
Staff edit : political commentary.

First and only friendly reminder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'd like to see a comparison between all the other "charities" of Walter Payton Man of the Year winners alluded to in the article before I say anything.

It's been pretty well known a lot , if not most, charities work in this way.

NoGain

Reaction score
Bottom line...you have to do your homework before giving your money to such entities. I've given to various charitable causes, organizations, and non profits most all my adult life. A few times stupidly so in retrospect. Just know the best you can what you're getting into.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
As a rule of thumb, any foundation linked to a celebrity or public figure exists primarily to support that figure.

Best case that means the individual‘s pet cause, worst case it’s family and entourage employment.

Best bang for the buck is usually your local religious organization. If that’s not your jam:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Can't wait to hear Russ defend this. So far, the silence is deafening...
I'll bet between football and all the "brand" stuff he's got going on he's got no clue about the details of the foundations like the revenues / expenses etc. He probably just gets docs to sign off on every so often and does so. I'm not excusing him for not knowing what's going on, just saying he probably doesn't. Probably not alone when it comes to these foundations. Hopefully all don't play as loose with the rules as this one does

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Boy, that's a pretty damning article with evidence at least partly presented. Wonder how long until the IRS is all up in their business?
IRS won’t touch them. They just need to donate to politicians and they won’t go after them. They like to go after people who make around 80k the most.

keasley45

Reaction score
Well, I was going to post that it's entirely unrealistic to think that every cent of a dollar donated to a charitable org go to the beneficiary, and that one would have to understand what is 'standard', to be too critical. I mean, it does cost money to pay people to do the job of helping others when you're doing it at scale.

So I googled ' how much should a non profit spend on overhead '.

The answer - good organizations should pass 75% onto the beneficiary. In other words, Russ's foundation has that equation flipped. 25 % should be what it costs to run the thing. Not 75%.

Where there's smoke with this dude...