Russ will not sign to be a backup

IndyHawk

Reaction score

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
If he signs with the most likely candidates ie Stealers, Raiders, Falcons…not like he’d have much competition anyway.

From a legacy perspective the question is do any of these teams give him a realistic shot at a career renaissance.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
If he signs with the most likely candidates ie Stealers, Raiders, Falcons…not like he’d have much competition anyway.

From a legacy perspective the question is do any of these teams give him a realistic shot at a career renaissance.
Yeah, I think there are a handful of teams where Russ is still a realistic starter choice, regardless of how things went in Denver.

Him ending up on the Raiders would be weird, since they've become my 'AFC team' since moving to Vegas. (I still don't really care about them, but I love Vegas, so...)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Depending on what the Vikings do about Kirk Cousins, Minnesota could be an option, too. Same with the Patriots, who seem to be ready to move on from Mac Jones.

There are actually quite a few teams that could be in play, as many as 7 or 8, close to a quarter of the league. But Russ turns 36 this November, so those teams are likely to view him as a stop gap while they find their QBOTF. If Russ thinks he's going to be able to resurrect his career and ride off into the sunset heading to the HOF, he's likely in for a rude awaking.

But we'll see. It will be an interesting drama. Love him or loathe him, Russell is highly entertaining.

Rosco

Reaction score
Depending on what the Vikings do about Kirk Cousins, Minnesota could be an option, too. Same with the Patriots, who seem to be ready to move on from Mac Jones.

There are actually quite a few teams that could be in play, as many as 7 or 8, close to a quarter of the league. But Russ turns 36 this November, so those teams are likely to view him as a stop gap while they find their QBOTF. If Russ thinks he's going to be able to resurrect his career and ride off into the sunset heading to the HOF, he's likely in for a rude awaking.

But we'll see. It will be an interesting drama. Love him or loathe him, Russell is highly entertaining.
Russell Wilson can’t run a WCO, Vikings are out of the question. Got to throw over the middle in a WCO

NoGain

Reaction score
Yeah, I see RW as either a cheap stopgap until a team gets their QBOTF, or a very short term stopgap for a team that will soon draft a QB and don't want to throw him to the lions yet. It's pretty damn hard to see any team giving him an extension at this point.

Like other posters previously said, there are a bunch of teams that could/would fall into one of these categories. I would actually be a little surprised if he didn't end up as a short term starter for some team next year. If he doesn't, then all the baggage that comes with RW is as bad as some of those around here have proclaimed, and teams just didn't want any part of it, in spite of his bargain basement price.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Yeah, I think there are a handful of teams where Russ is still a realistic starter choice, regardless of how things went in Denver.

Him ending up on the Raiders would be weird, since they've become my 'AFC team' since moving to Vegas. (I still don't really care about them, but I love Vegas, so...)
Me too, I always respected Al Davis and the Raider legacy so it was an easy choice for me when they moved to Vegas.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Broncos have until March 16th to make a decision. If he's on the roster after that, then they're on the hook for $37M. Everyone in the league expects them to cut him by that date, so I don't know why they just don't pull the trigger and be done with it. There's no way anyone is going to trade anything for him when all signs point to his release.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
If I were Russ I wouldn't either. He still has skills enough to start for a team willing to tailor an offense around him, and still is capable of winning. He's also at an age where he could just walk away.

I hope someone takes a chance on him and he has success. I'm just not a Russ hater. I still like the guy, he's not perfect, but he's a good guy.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If I were Russ I wouldn't either. He still has skills enough to start for a team willing to tailor an offense around him, and still is capable of winning. He's also at an age where he could just walk away.

I hope someone takes a chance on him and he has success. I'm just not a Russ hater. I still like the guy, he's not perfect, but he's a good guy.
This "tailor" an offense just for him means what?
He takes 50 sacks a year no matter where he goes for starters.
I don't have to mention what else makes it really hard to have
him as a QB.
He's on his last ride.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Me too, I always respected Al Davis and the Raider legacy so it was an easy choice for me when they moved to Vegas.

I spend a decent amount of time in Vegas for work and I was very impressed with how quickly and happily the city absorbed the Raiders. Locals seemed to love them. Pretty awesome.

Separately, I was personally happy they did not end up at that landfill in LA w the Chargers, so good feelings about the Vegas Raiders all around.

RiverDog

Reaction score

There's no way a team is going to build around a quarterback who turns 37 this season. He's not Tom Brady. His best bet is to go with a team looking for a stop gap quarterback like we are with Geno, then perhaps he can catch lightning in a bottle, have a good season and convince his new employer to keep him on.

I don't have nearly the rosy assessment of Russell's skill set as you apparently do. He either won't or can't throw over the middle, he's indecisive and holds onto the ball far too long while taking way too many sacks, and he has a tendency to go off script, which is the primary reason why Payton is ditching him.