Rob Rang's overrated and underrated

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sam Williams, EDGE, Ole Miss

Like the aforementioned McCreary, Williams somehow checks in on the underrated list despite posting eye-popping statistics a year ago. He finished second in the SEC in sacks (behind Alabama superstar Will Anderson) with 13 in as many games.

Williams led the league with four forced fumbles and had 15 tackles for loss among his 57 overall stops.

Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State

Had Lucas started 42 consecutive games in the ACC, Big Ten or SEC and then followed with his stellar performances at the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine, he might be widely viewed as a first-round lock. Instead, as a proud resident of the state of Washington, I get labeled a "homer" for touting the 6-foot-6, 316-pounder as a plug-and-play right tackle well worth a top-50 selection.

Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn

McCreary’s lack of size and straight-line speed apparently have many draftniks concerned, resulting in this battle-tested cornerback frequently being listed outside the top 50 selections. I did not include McCreary in my final first-round mock draft, but I ranked him 28th overall on my Big Board and would not be surprised to see him land among the top 32.

OVERRATED

Amaré Barno, EDGE, Virginia Tech

In precisely 4.36 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine, the 6-foot-5, 246-pound Barno captured the attention of professional and amateur scouts across the country, demonstrating the elite speed and explosiveness that every talent evaluator is looking for in today’s speed rusher.

The problem is that Barno’s defensive-back-like speed and leaping ability (37-inch vertical and 10-foot-11 broad jump) come with a defensive back’s frame. While broad-shouldered, Barno has relatively slim hips, making it unlikely that he’ll be able to add much "good" weight and strength.

Own The West

Reaction score
Can Barno flip his hips? He sounds like a bigger, faster Kam Chancellor...