Ringer article on Seahawks Offense

keasley45

Reaction score
It is telling that the most compelling player for the Seahawks left.

The article is about Wilson because Wilson is still worth writing about.

They didn't write about the increasingly less capable, increasingly less competent HC because nobody cares. Nor the team that is essentially 1/2 JAGs.

They made it about Wilson.

There isn't much left to matter.

You have Tyler (if we keep him), DK, Diggs and then what? A bunch of guys that aren't exceptional and nobody expects to do anything.

Maybe, MAYBE Brown.

An NFL roster has 53 players on it, we have maybe 5 players that anyone cares about or expects anything from. 6 if you count our punter.

So the article is about Wilson, though ostensibly about the Seahawk offense.
After laughing a bit about Lock or Smith being any good, or the Seahawks being any kind if playoff team - it is intended to get people to read it because Wilson is featured prominently in it.

We will watch the games because we love football, and we root for the Seahawks even when they have a bang average roster. But come on, nobody expects it to do anything. But Wilson is still an interesting topic so people will read about that.
This is silly and just reads of dislike for anyone or anything about this franchise other than Russel Wilson.

The QB of a successful NFL franchise is usually the focus of media attention. The fact that Russels exploits are known and in recent years, the stories of other notable talent isn't, speaks more to the bias towards qb's in the NFL and specifically in our case, the general ignorance in the media around anything seahawks related BUT whatever piece or part of the team is making the most noise.

They don't care to look any deeper than the highlights and stats and don't have the patience or desire to actually understand the true makeup of the team, it's strengths, weaknesses, challenges, potential, etc.

Another example would be the latest grades posted by ESPN plus for all 32 NFL franchises. Where did we rank? 32. Why? Mostly because we, according to the writer, 'got fleeced' in the trade and didn't draft a qb. So I guess by that measure, and by yours, we should just pack up shop and put our app in for the CFL.

It's just lazy and jaded in my opinion to gloss over the best safety tandem in the league, a solid, solid rotation of LBs, one of the best wr duos in the league, the hottest rb to end 2021, and the best rb in the draft in the same backfield, a really promising CB who's season was cut short last year and new talent at the position coming in, and one of the best young TE's in the league.

But yeah, all JAGs. Wtf?

And all of that was assembled by a past his prime, outdated HC and out of touch front office.

This franchise has been on of best at building and sustaining success, in the early 2010s with a lights out defense and running game and an inexperienced qb. Then, in the late 2010s with the challenges of dealing with a salary cap and a more seasoned qb that could pull off the impossible, but struggled to do the simple things in a way either nobody cares to acknowledge or discuss, or flat out deny.

The team will be better than fine, whether the blind media talking heads want to see it, or 'fans' want to believe.

Russ was a piece of our success and of our failure. The Seahawks don't live and die on his arm.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Nope, It was POORLY EXECUTED PLAY by RUSSELL WILSON.
People can Speculate 'til hell freezes over, BUT bottom line, RW doesn't get a Mulligan on that pass & is owed his fair share of the BLAME.
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, It amazes the hell out of me how everyone has 20-20 Vision >AFTER< the play turns to sh*t, and then DEFLECTS.
If the dog hadn't stopped to take a crap, he'd have caught that there rabbit.
Bevell & Carroll were BOTH complicit, in that they had faith that RW could make that pass go off without a hitch....EGG ON THE FACES.
If Drew Lock makes the same mistake in week two, there will be calls for his head. Russ does it in the superbowl, and its Lockettes fault, Pete's fault, Bevells fault... anyone but Russ.

It was a crap ball. Poorly placed. Lockett was right to run the slowly behind the pick. Had he gotten the ball, shielded by the block, he could have just leaned and stumbled into the endzone. The play wasn't thr problem. The same concept is run successfully a thousand time a year. So much so they modified the rules to slow its effectiveness.

And we botched it.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I predict next season will look much like Holmgren's last year as coach. Ugly.

John63

Reaction score
No BASF.
No I basically said Wilson was the reason we were winning with the offense by executing often outside of the gameplans.

The goal of an offense is to score. Not to move the chains. That was part of the problem. There is a lot of focus here on missed plays. I have seen them too.

But every player has strengths and weaknesses. Remember those were weaknesses, but you also lose the strengths. Wilson was great at scoring TDs in the RZ. He was also actually exceptional at TDs per drive.

I have no doubt our next QB will move the chains, use the middle of the field, whatever. I also have little doubt that our RZ % will tank and our scoring will as well.
That probably won't even be as much the QBs fault, even if Geno (Blech) is QB. It will be Pete thinking it is still the 80s/90s and trying to run the ball/play field position but not actually scoring TDs. Running the ball well without an exceptional passing game, makes you the Titans or Browns. And Titans is a best case.

In a league where the average winning team needs to score at least 27.... (That was the # when I last checked...it might have dropped a little last year because all the QBs being injured)
I agree the goal is to score for well any real team. But PC has said he wants to play great defense, run the ball, throw long and win in the end. Remember you cant win in the 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. Therein lies the issue PC does not believe scoring other than at the end matters. He believes the idea is to keep it low scoring, win TOP and win in the end. So scoring to him is not the issue. Remember Lynch had to ask in the SB if we can score more. In the end, pc sees the offense as a way to keep his defense off the field. He said he would love it if every game was low-scoring and won on the last drive. Problem is that is, not the NFL anymore.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Nope, It was POORLY EXECUTED PLAY by RUSSELL WILSON.
People can Speculate 'til hell freezes over, BUT bottom line, RW doesn't get a Mulligan on that pass & is owed his fair share of the BLAME.
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, It amazes the hell out of me how everyone has 20-20 Vision >AFTER< the play turns to sh*t, and then DEFLECTS.
If the dog hadn't stopped to take a crap, he'd have caught that there rabbit.
Bevell & Carroll were BOTH complicit, in that they had faith that RW could make that pass go off without a hitch....EGG ON THE FACES.
Sure. Then why did Bevell put the blame on Lockette and not Wilson?

Here's the what the article mentions - "That’s right, offensive coordinator Bevell is saying Lockette could’ve been stronger to the ball to prevent the interception, or even catch the pass for a touchdown."

Here's another article stating the similar thing - https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2...per-bowl-russell-wilson-interception-playcall

No mention that was a poorly thrown ball by Wilson anywhere. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
The mantra, you can't win until the 4th qtr is meant to instill the belief that the game isn't over until its over. That you can be down by 20 and still come back. The only thingbthat matters is what the score is when the clock hits zero.

That THAT statement, along with with his delaying and disagreeing with Russ and Schotty on going for a 4th and 1 vs kicking a FG in a game a few years back and taking a delay of game has become the skewed basis for sooo much of your campaign against PC amd his supposed antiquated football mind and meddling habit.

The concept of running the ball, making the defense honor the run, and then demoralizing them with deep shots isn't a problem. It's a fundamental principle of football and one of the most consistent means of achieving success.

AND, An inexperienced QB can thrive on such a system because it takes burden off of his shoulders.

That doesn't mean an experienced qb gifted at reading the field and manipulating a defense can't do more than that in it.

Hass did more in it. TJac was t as gifted and didn't. Russ also didn't have Hass's savvy in diagnosing defenses and so, also didn't.

The thing you miss, is that if the next guy also isn't able to do it at least as good as Hass did (Hass had other problems - I'm talking about his ability to read a defense and distribute the ball) then it's not the end of the world, we can still win and still function. We did it in 2012 with a rookie qb who wasn't much to write home about until we incorporated the read option.

The system is grounded enough that it's easy to get into and function. That doesn't mean it's overly simple or somehow the Achilles heel of the offense. It can still go as far as you need it to, particularly with Waldron calling the shots. Best of both worlds.

keasley45

Reaction score

Here's the what the article mentions - "That’s right, offensive coordinator Bevell is saying Lockette could’ve been stronger to the ball to prevent the interception, or even catch the pass for a touchdown."

Here's another article stating the similar thing - https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2...per-bowl-russell-wilson-interception-playcall

No mention that was a poorly thrown ball by Wilson anywhere. Just some food for thought.
Yup. If Ricardo had run faster to where the ball was thrown, he might have caught it.

That's a reaction to what happened. It could have been caught.

It shouldn't have been that hard. Didn't have to be that hard.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

So, hmmm, you're saying that Wilson DOES get that "Mulligan" & that he is exonerated of ANY GUILT? and that everyone else on the team has to eat THEIR MISTAKES for how that game went down???...Sorry, I ain't buyin' it.
It was quite simply an ill-advised pass BY RUSSELL WILSON, it doesn't matter what Bevell or ANYONE ELSE said AFTER THE FACT.
Better Placement, it's RUSS who turns out the HERO & win's the day & the MVP of that game, ON THE OTHER HAND, Bad Placement, CAN'T BLAME RUSS. LOLOLOL yeah, okay.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
So, hmmm, you're saying that Wilson DOES get that "Mulligan" & that he is exonerated of ANY GUILT? and that everyone else on the team has to eat THEIR MISTAKES for how that game went down???...Sorry, I ain't buyin' it.
It was quite simply an ill-advised pass BY RUSSELL WILSON, it doesn't matter what Bevell or ANYONE ELSE said AFTER THE FACT.
Better Placement, it's RUSS who turns out the HERO & win's the day & the MVP of that game, ON THE OTHER HAND, Bad Placement, CAN'T BLAME RUSS. LOLOLOL yeah, okay.
I never once said RW gets a free card for that play. If you care to go back and reread you would see that. I agreed with Keasley45 that it was a poorly executed play. RW played a role in execution of the play. I just don’t agree that RW should get 100% of the blame. Obviously your stance is he should.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I never once said RW gets a free card for that play. If you care to go back and reread you would see that. I agreed with Keasley45 that it was a poorly executed play. RW played a role in execution of the play. I just don’t agree that RW should get 100% of the blame. Obviously your stance is he should.
I Absolutely did not suggest that at all, but your putting forth evidence that Bevell was laying the blame ENTIRELY on Lockette as an argument for an absolving Wilson for HIS ROLE in that screwed-up play, how else is one supposed to Interpret that?
I guarantee you that there are guys like Twisted & John63 that have & will argue AGAINST Wilson's guilt in that particular play, BUT, are HOLDING onto BLAMING PETE, DARRYLL, Recardo Lockette or just about ANYONE ELSE, and that would NOT BE BEING TOTALLY HONEST.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I Absolutely did not suggest that at all, but your putting forth evidence that Bevell was laying the blame ENTIRELY on Lockette as an argument for an absolving Wilson for HIS ROLE in that screwed-up play, how else is one supposed to Interpret that?
I guarantee you that there are guys like Twisted & John63 that have & will argue AGAINST Wilson's guilt in that particular play, BUT, are HOLDING onto BLAMING PETE, DARRYLL, Recardo Lockette or just about ANYONE ELSE, and that would NOT BE BEING TOTALLY HONEST.
Fair enough. My intention was to suggest that even Wilson's coaches didn't blame him fully for that play as some here are. It's cool. You have your view and opinion. I have mine. In the end, we both seem to want the same thing.... the Seahawks to succeed.

Last edited: