RG Damien Lewis among PFF's Top 10 Rookies through Week 2

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rookie-ran ... ugh-week-2

There isn't an offensive lineman in the entire NFL with a bigger discrepancy between performance in pass protection compared to performance in the run game than Seattle's Damien Lewis. ... [more]

I should mention in advance that I have no interest in responding to posters who argue that his accomplishment is irrelevant or meaningless to modern NFL football.

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ei2ldkk said:
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rookie-rankings-10-highest-graded-rookies-through-week-2

There isn't an offensive lineman in the entire NFL with a bigger discrepancy between performance in pass protection compared to performance in the run game than Seattle's Damien Lewis. ... [more]

I should mention in advance that I have no interest in responding to posters who argue that his accomplishment is irrelevant or negligible.

To be honest that does not surprise me. Really, good run blocking, bad pass blocking. Sounds like he is as good a Seahawks olineman as there is. Maybe the pass side will improve.

toffee

Reaction score
John63":2jm9jvy3 said:
MontanaHawk05":2jm9jvy3 said:
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rookie-rankings-10-highest-graded-rookies-through-week-2

I should mention in advance that I have no interest in responding to posters who argue that his accomplishment is irrelevant or negligible.

To be honest that does not surprise me. Really, good run blocking, bad pass blocking. Sounds like he is as good a Seahawks olineman as there is. Maybe the pass side will improve.

I have no doubt that it will, once the game slows down to him, his pass blocking will improve.

With run blocking, he was given an active role , timing etc isn't as critical. With pass blocking, it's sort of having to react to the Defense, his inexperience hurts more.

As is, he is a ten points higher on PFF over Ifedi.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/germain-ifedi/10665

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

KinesProf

Reaction score
That is really positive, and reinforces the eye test.

That discrepancy shouldn't be too surprising for a rookie given that run blocking is a proactive action and pass blocking is reactive; and the pass pro improvements should come with experience and seasoning. He has good pass pro reps on tape, the consistency will come.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":1m8ovam4 said:
John63":1m8ovam4 said:
MontanaHawk05":1m8ovam4 said:

I have no doubt that it will, once the game slows down to him, his pass blocking will improve.

With run blocking, he was given an active role , timing etc isn't as critical. With pass blocking, it's sort of having to react to the Defense, his inexperience hurts more.

As is, he is a ten points higher on PFF over Ifedi.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/germain-ifedi/10665

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

You could be right. I hope so. If wr can cut wilsons hits, hurries, pressure and sacks by 25% that bodes real well for a SB run.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":kyivejgj said:

I should mention in advance that I have no interest in responding to posters who argue that his accomplishment is irrelevant or meaningless to modern NFL football.

Only thing I'm worried about is penalties with him, but he's looking studly at RG. To already be performing at an elite level in any facet of his game is way, way more than can be expected from a rookie with no preseason... while also between a middling RT and a C who hasn't played C in years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The penalties don't worry me at all. He's a rook learning the ropes and the game at the NFL level.
He's a solid player, and could prove to finally be a VERY good O line draft pick that is needed.

Teahawks

Reaction score
The pass pro I've seen, he's prone to lunging and whiffs. That can be coached up though. Big guys like him have that physical limitation, but can be countered with anticipation.

toffee

Reaction score
KinesProf":12t7mvdk said:
That is really positive, and reinforces the eye test.

That discrepancy shouldn't be too surprising for a rookie given that run blocking is a proactive action and pass blocking is reactive; and the pass pro improvements should come with experience and seasoning. He has good pass pro reps on tape, the consistency will come.

Couldn't say it better. We might have found our starting right guard for coming seasons. Hey Lewis and Poccic could be our OL building blocks moving forward. I don't, however, see Shell as our long term starting RT. Brown Iupati are both aging .... we seems to have a few young prospective guards but no young tackles ....

nanomoz

Reaction score
Those numbers kind of support a lot of the scouting reports on the guy coming out of LSU. The dude is crazy powerful and can anchor like crazy, so the pass blocking will improve steadily.

There's an outside chance the interior of the line has its starters for the next several years on the roster, between Haynes, Pocic, and Lewis.

I've ben really impressed by Pocic thus far. He looks so much stronger this season. I don't know if it's the momentum advantage of being a center, or just that he worked on his lower-body strength. But he looks serviceable with some upside.

Latest posts