REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

Rosco

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is a lot better than Lock, that point is a non-starter. You cannot argue that Lock is almost as good as Mayfield. Even Mayfield's disappointing 2021 is better than anything Lock has put together in the NFL. Athletically, is Lock better? Sure, if you just isolate 40 times and arm strength. Despite Mayfield having a slower 40, he's actually a better scrambler than Lock. He's also better in just about every category where it matters.
Baker is slow and unable to outrun nfl linemen, it’s how he got injured to begin with. So NO he’s not a better scrambler. Baker is a QB that needs everything perfect around him in order to look good. If Baker doesn’t have a top 5 oline,running game and top end receivers he plays like shit.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is a lot better than Lock, that point is a non-starter. You cannot argue that Lock is almost as good as Mayfield. Even Mayfield's disappointing 2021 is better than anything Lock has put together in the NFL. Athletically, is Lock better? Sure, if you just isolate 40 times and arm strength. Despite Mayfield having a slower 40, he's actually a better scrambler than Lock. He's also better in just about every category where it matters.
Baker makes better multimedia commercials. I cannot argue that fact.
Baker has had much more playing time, behind a much better O line.
RBs were a Baker advantage, and Javonte Williams looked tired at the end of 2021.
Lock is more of an unknown, because of the 2020 protocols, and because of the decision(questioned by most Bronco fans) to start Bridgewater in 2021.
Baker's 2021 Green Bay performance was worse than any Lock performance I've seen. Maybe that Lambeu game was the result of injury, but then maybe Baker will be injured more frequently, and will end up in the blue tent, often, like Cam Newton.
Edit: Baker's 4th INT may have been unfair(Rasul Douglas was holding) but at least 1 second half INT was accidentally avoided, and the 3 first half INTs were not good. And he looks like a guy who's too small and taking a beating.
The youtube video probably doesn't show him staggerilng at the end of the 2020 Colts game, but he certainly looked knocked out.

Last edited:

fullquartpress

Reaction score
He was quick enough. Hence why he was credited with the fumble
OK, Melvin Gordon dropped the ball, after being hit by a truck;(;Melvin Ingram).
Gordon should have aimed straight at Ingram, refused the handoff, and should have left Lock to improvise on a broken play, which could have been more watchable for Bronco fans(but less watchable for Chief fans).
Lock was entertaining chasing the play, but Nick Bolton had too much of a convoy.

chrispy

Reaction score
2018 Osweiler from Houston to Cleveland. Browns have to dump Baker's Cap and no team is going to make the playoffs because of Baker. Browns are desperate sellers and there are no desperate buyers. This is going to cost Cleveland a draft pick in addition to Baker and I think they'll hope to get a backup for DeShaun in return.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m all in on Baker being a good QB here. Trade them Geno so they have a backup and get a pick coming back.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Baker makes better multimedia commercials. I cannot argue that fact.
Baker has had much more playing time, behind a much better O line.
RBs were a Baker advantage, and Javonte Williams looked tired at the end of 2021.
Lock is more of an unknown, because of the 2020 protocols, and because of the decision(questioned by most Bronco fans) to start Bridgewater in 2021.
Baker's 2021 Green Bay performance was worse than any Lock performance I've seen. Maybe that Lambeu game was the result of injury, but then maybe Baker will be injured more frequently, and will end up in the blue tent, often, like Cam Newton.
Edit: Baker's 4th INT may have been unfair(Rasul Douglas was holding) but at least 1 second half INT was accidentally avoided, and the 3 first half INTs were not good. And he looks like a guy who's too small and taking a beating.
The youtube video probably doesn't show him staggerilng at the end of the 2020 Colts game, but he certainly looked knocked out.
Lock is not an "unknown". He's started over a seasons worth of games and he's been in the league for three years at this point. He's a veteran that hasn't had much success in the NFL. You can blame it on a variety of things, but overall he still looks like the same guy his scouting report described when he was drafted. He hasn't had much in the way of improvement. Lock is a below average passer at this point and that's all he is. At this moment in time he's losing to Geno Smith in training camp.

If these reports are right, it's not exactly reassuring regarding Lock. If he and Geno did look good, why are we still flirting with Baker Mayfield?

On Mayfield, the Browns haven't exactly been managed well. Since he's been there he's had a new OC every single one of his years. This is an excuse I often see for Lock, but Mayfield hasn't had much in the way of stability (and he's looked better than Lock in game). He's had a new HC every other year on the Browns and a rotating FO.

Lock and Mayfield are BOTH knowns. Lock is a backup tier QB and Mayfield is a hot and cold QB but still more consistent than Lock, or Geno for that matter. It's not even a question whether or not he's better than Geno or Lock, nobody outside of the Seahawks fandom would support that assertion and for good reason.

That being said, I don't care whether we trade for him or not. He's very much so a miniature Wilson in the way he plays. He has some of the same strengths and weaknesses, only he's not as good. Baker Mayfield is essentially Russell Wilson in the second half of 2020, a frustratingly inconsistent QB with a few hot streaks and plays. In fact, Wilson's numbers from the second half of 2020 looked oddly similar to Mayfields.

Ultimately I think Mayfield is a QB that is worth kicking the tires on, provided that Browns eat some of his cap for this one season. That being said --- I'm also afraid that he'll do enough to stick around and end up being Kirk Cousins, a QB that isn't bad enough to let go of but also not good enough to win you games. In a sense I would prefer Lock and Geno for potential future QB's but I'm also not opposed to trading for Mayfield for the right price. He's definitely an upgrade, but ultimately he's a guy that i think would lead us to the same place as Wilson, one and done in the playoffs.

Rosco

Reaction score
Lock is not an "unknown". He's started over a seasons worth of games and he's been in the league for three years at this point. He's a veteran that hasn't had much success in the NFL. You can blame it on a variety of things, but overall he still looks like the same guy his scouting report described when he was drafted. He hasn't had much in the way of improvement. Lock is a below average passer at this point and that's all he is. At this moment in time he's losing to Geno Smith in training camp.

If these reports are right, it's not exactly reassuring regarding Lock. If he and Geno did look good, why are we still flirting with Baker Mayfield?

On Mayfield, the Browns haven't exactly been managed well. Since he's been there he's had a new OC every single one of his years. This is an excuse I often see for Lock, but Mayfield hasn't had much in the way of stability (and he's looked better than Lock in game). He's had a new HC every other year on the Browns and a rotating FO.

Lock and Mayfield are BOTH knowns. Lock is a backup tier QB and Mayfield is a hot and cold QB but still more consistent than Lock, or Geno for that matter. It's not even a question whether or not he's better than Geno or Lock, nobody outside of the Seahawks fandom would support that assertion and for good reason.

That being said, I don't care whether we trade for him or not. He's very much so a miniature Wilson in the way he plays. He has some of the same strengths and weaknesses, only he's not as good. Baker Mayfield is essentially Russell Wilson in the second half of 2020, a frustratingly inconsistent QB with a few hot streaks and plays. In fact, Wilson's numbers from the second half of 2020 looked oddly similar to Mayfields.

Ultimately I think Mayfield is a QB that is worth kicking the tires on, provided that Browns eat some of his cap for this one season. That being said --- I'm also afraid that he'll do enough to stick around and end up being Kirk Cousins, a QB that isn't bad enough to let go of but also not good enough to win you games. In a sense I would prefer Lock and Geno for potential future QB's but I'm also not opposed to trading for Mayfield for the right price. He's definitely an upgrade, but ultimately he's a guy that i think would lead us to the same place as Wilson, one and done in the playoffs.
He is an unknown. Pete Carroll would have asked for more picks instead of Lock if he was a known commodity.
By all NFL standards rookie QBs get a full 3 seasons of starting to be properly evaluated.
Lock rookie season he was 4-1 and looked every bit of a starter in the NFL.
Season 2 the OC gets fired and Covid hits preventing Lock having any training camp or preseason to learn a new offense.
Season 3 Fangio went with Bridgewater in a effort to save his job.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He is an unknown. Pete Carroll would have asked for more picks instead of Lock if he was a known commodity.
By all NFL standards rookie QBs get a full 3 seasons of starting to be properly evaluated.
Lock rookie season he was 4-1 and looked every bit of a starter in the NFL.
Season 2 the OC gets fired and Covid hits preventing Lock having any training camp or preseason to learn a new offense.
He is a known. He has had over a seasons worth of starting experience and he's been in the league for three years. Have you ever thought about the fact that they felt compelled to go for someone like Bridgewater because Lock just wasn't that good and he wasn't developing like they expected in training camp? We've seen QB's abandoned after less time than three years before. There is a lot that goes on in practices and behind the scenes that you and I aren't privy to.

Mark my words, Lock is not going to be anything special. You can feel free to call me out if that proves to be the case for all to see. Lock is just another in a long line of QB's with physical talent but couldn't put it together at the NFL level with consistency. He is a known quantity, he left the Broncos wanting just like he's going to leave us wishing Wilson was under center again. I just hope that he provides us with some good memes.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
1.. At this moment in time he's losing to Geno Smith in training camp.

2 why are we still flirting with Baker Mayfield?

3. Lock and Mayfield are BOTH knowns. Lock is a backup tier QB and Mayfield is a hot and cold QB but still more consistent than Lock, or Geno for that matter. It's not even a question whether or not he's better than Geno or Lock, nobody outside of the Seahawks fandom would support that assertion and for good reason.
1. I thought training camp began in 6 weeks, but I could be wrong...

2. I didn't know we were flirting with Baker, but Josina Anderson may need to create a rumor/story, searching for an offseason audience...

3. Lock's games played, I read, are 5, 13, and 6 in seasons 2019, 2020, and 2021, respectively, but some of those 24 could be partial games(as when Teddy was knocked out), and the 2020 season was the new system, taught by Zoom meetings(wearing masks...with 'internet quality' audio and video...)

Lock had some support from the Denver fanbase. Some, I read, thought that he'd 'won' the starting job 2021.
I can state that he had a perfect QB rating in the 1st half he played in Minnesota.(Teddy played 2nd Half)

4. Maybe both will become quality starters. It's too early to tell, at least for me...

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Have you ever thought about the fact that they felt compelled to go for someone like Bridgewater because Lock just wasn't that good and he wasn't developing like they expected in training camp?

Rosco's explanation makes sense to me.

(Sorry about the janky format. If there's a multi-quote option, I'm unaware of it.)

Rosco

Reaction score
He is a known. He has had over a seasons worth of starting experience and he's been in the league for three years. Have you ever thought about the fact that they felt compelled to go for someone like Bridgewater because Lock just wasn't that good and he wasn't developing like they expected in training camp? We've seen QB's abandoned after less time than three years before. There is a lot that goes on in practices and behind the scenes that you and I aren't privy to.

Mark my words, Lock is not going to be anything special. You can feel free to call me out if that proves to be the case for all to see. Lock is just another in a long line of QB's with physical talent but couldn't put it together at the NFL level with consistency. He is a known quantity, he left the Broncos wanting just like he's going to leave us wishing Wilson was under center again. I just hope that he provides us with some good memes.
Being in the league 3 years doesn’t count. Starting for 3 years does count.
Again, if Lock were a ‘known’ Carroll would not have wanted him.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
2018 Osweiler from Houston to Cleveland. Browns have to dump Baker's Cap and no team is going to make the playoffs because of Baker. Browns are desperate sellers and there are no desperate buyers. This is going to cost Cleveland a draft pick in addition to Baker and I think they'll hope to get a backup for DeShaun in return.

The Browns have Jacoby Brissett as a backup to Watson. But maybe they'll want another QB to be Brissett's backup during Watson's suspension.

Boohman14

Reaction score
My first thought when hearing that Seattle was offering an extension to Baker Mayfield in a trade scenario was that Cleveland was leaking this to the media to create some sort of leverage with Carolina. The Browns have almost zero leverage in a trade and I believe that Carolina is the only interested team. I doubt Seattle will trade for Mayfield. Maybe try to get him if he's released but not likely trade.

strohmin

Reaction score
Man I was really excited for this seasom because I actually have hope for Drew Locke and Geno Smith. I really hope the Seahawks arent considering baker because that would ruin all the excitment I had for this upcoming season.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Does anyone seriously and objectively think Mayfield is good enough to lead us to a SB? No. Of course not. So why bother? That just seems incredibly dumb to me. Let's fly with the birds we have, and get our qbotf next year in the draft.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If the Hawks wanted Mayfield and were willing to eat all of that salary, a deal would have been done already.

This is the Browns or Mayfield's agent trying to put pressure on teams that might be interested.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Under other circumstances, I wouldn't mind if Mayfield was part of the QB competition. But it's getting late in the game for another QB to join the team and have a realistic shot at making the team, let alone become the starter. And I don't want to pay anything for him more than a minimal salary, and I don't want any drama. Not saying he could necessarily cause drama, I'm just saying I don't want any.