REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"According to reports" has become standard operating procedure to manufacture validity for whatever clickbait theory they want to push. When I see Seattle make a move to acquire Baker then I'll believe it. Not until. In the meantime I would pass on him, but if and when he becomes a Seahawk I'll hope he plays better than he ever has...just as I hold that same hope for Smith or Lock.

The Breh

Reaction score
If you're joking, that's really funny.

If you're serious, that's really really funny!
We lowkey want to bomb the season for a high draft pick, right?
If he sucks so bad then he's perfect for the role.
It would be major for the locker room in building unity amongst a rebuild. Don't play naive and forget who our players are and where the majority aligns.

And he'd suck so we get that high pick.
From all y'all responses on his current capacity to hold the position that is a reasonable outcome should it happen. We get our QB of the future potentially.
That's a win-win.
Personally, a demographic of fans would hate it.
And I and many others are here for it.

Don't let your personal feelings get in the way of the bigger picture.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
"According to reports" has become standard operating procedure to manufacture validity for whatever clickbait theory they want to push. When I see Seattle make a move to acquire Baker then I'll believe it. Not until. In the meantime I would pass on him, but if and when he becomes a Seahawk I'll hope he plays better than he ever has...just as I hold that same hope for Smith or Lock.
You got to understand that if they ratted their sources out, they'd lose their in. We heard "according to sources" foreshadow the Russell Wilson, Seattle breakup and many other things. Some of those things never came to fruition, but a lot of it did. In the case of Mayfield I have no doubt that the Seahawks have interest to some degree.

I think at the very least the Seahawks have a line of communication going regarding Mayfield at the moment. In fact, I could probably guarantee that they're at least kicking the tires as Pete Carroll usually does.

To what degree are the Seahawks interested is the question. I think the answer to that is only at bargain bin prices. The FO doesn't seem willing to part with much in the way of draft capital. In addition to that, we heard reports of a team asking the Browns to take on some of Mayfields contract -- I have no doubt that is Seattle.

I'm sure there is some interest in Mayfield, but only at Dollar General prices and I think we're playing a game of low stakes chicken with the Browns. If they blink we'll potentially get Mayfield for a low price, if not, well we're perfectly fine rolling with Drew Lock and Geno Smith and drafting Wilson's replacement next year.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
We lowkey want to bomb the season for a high draft pick, right?
If he sucks so bad then he's perfect for the role.
It would be major for the locker room in building unity amongst a rebuild. Don't play naive and forget who our players are and where the majority aligns.

And he'd suck so we get that high pick.
From all y'all responses on his current capacity to hold the position that is a reasonable outcome should it happen. We get our QB of the future potentially.
That's a win-win.
Personally, a demographic of fans would hate it.
And I and many others are here for it.

Don't forget about the big picture whilst translating your opinion.
That might be the single stupidest thing I've read on here this year.

First of all, you don't achieve "unity" by bringing in a pot-stirrer. Unless you're assuming that everyone on the Seahawks team and staff are all aligned the same way politically, but they're just too stupid to realize it without adding Kaepernick to the mix. And if they're NOT all aligned the same way politically, then bringing in Kaep is exactly the opposite of trying to achieve unity.

Second, it doesn't seem as if you actually give a shit about unity anyway. You don't care if anyone you dislike or don't agree with get pissed off or upset. People on the team or in the fan base can just suck it if they don't like Kaepernick, because you want Kaepernick, and if we have Kaepernick, that means unity. That's brain-dead level of stupid.

Third, I don't want to bring in any QB who isn't going to help the team with his knowledge and skills. I certainly don't want to bring anyone who will help us lose so we get a higher pick next year. We're going to lose enough this year as it is. I don't like losing.

toffee

Reaction score
An interesting case of Mayfield vs JimmyG vs Geno vs Lock.

The only one that has a track record is Jimmy, but his QB guru HC also drafted Jimmy's replacement, meaning Jimmy's ceiling isn't high enough.

The next up is Mayfield, the one that flashed a little bit of what people want on field, but he also flashed a lot of what people don't want off the field. Again Brown traded for a franchise QB to replace him, meaning they don't want to deal with his off field stuffs.

Geno, on his last opportunity but he has never been good in the pro. He was OK subbing for Russ, ok but far from good. Not sure what we saw was the floor? or the ceiling?

Lock, all the tools, but never make it work, this could also be his last chance to be taken serious.

Sounded like Jimmy would be the best of this lot? If we must trade for a QB, I will take the high floor, low ceiling Jimmy.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
First Baker is not a good QB . He's not a good leader either and he makes stupid comments that are problematic. I still haven't heard any real credible reports on this just alot of people in Cleveland that want to make Baker our problem and some in the media as well. When i hear a serious credible report i'll take this seriously as of right now this is just more of the same noise weve been hearing for 2-3 months now. If they really wanted Baker i think he would be here already. Personally i think he's a clown with a below average arm and athletic ability.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

The only one that has a track record is Jimmy, but his QB guru HC also drafted Jimmy's replacement, meaning Jimmy's ceiling isn't high enough.

The next up is Mayfield, the one that flashed a little bit of what people want on field, but he also flashed a lot of what people don't want off the field. Again Brown traded for a franchise QB to replace him, meaning they don't want to deal with his off field stuffs.

Geno, on his last opportunity but he has never been good in the pro. He was OK subbing for Russ, ok but far from good. Not sure what we saw was the floor? or the ceiling?

Lock, all the tools, but never make it work, this could also be his last chance to be taken serious.

Sounded like Jimmy would be the best of this lot? If we must trade for a QB, I will take the high floor, low ceiling Jimmy.
I don't think Jimmy G is an option unless he is outright cut. The 49ers wouldn't dare trade him to a division rival. Another thing to consider is that Jimmy G has had one of the best offensive minds in the NFL for many years. I don't see how Seattle could get anything more from him, if anything he's likely to backslide in Seattle. He's also struggled with injuries, being injured more often than not on the 49ers.

With Baker, he's flashed some potential. He's also had a new coordinator each year and a new head coach each year he's been in the league aside from 2020. Unfortunately, at the moment he is discount Wilson. He comes with a lot of the same drawbacks. His line also was not as good as people here were lead to believe. Lots of injury problems on the Browns. He's as good of a reclamation project as any and he's certainly already a much better passer than both Geno and Lock.

The unfortunate thing about Mayfield is, as he sits right now -- He's likely to put us in the 7-11 win range, which isn't enough to get a blue chip passer. It's also the range at which a QB gets paid lots of money, that is how you end up with a Kirk Cousins sort of character. A QB that is not bad, but also isn't good enough to get you anywhere, yet he's just good enough to warrant keeping around for years. i.e the rat pack.

flv2

Reaction score
Mayfield will need to be very reasonable in contract negotiations with Seattle if they did trade for him. However, I simply don't see the team trading much for a player who will be a UFA next year. At this point Cleveland would eating $9.4 mil of Mayfield's $18.8 mil salary for this season and that likely isn't enough to allow a trade for much more than a 5th rd. pick. Trading that pick might allow the Hawks to acquire a 3rd rd. pick if Mayfield became a UFA next year and was signed to a fairly significant contract by another team.

I still think Mayfield will find himself going to Carolina in due course. If that happens the Hawks might acquire Darnold who'd also need to be cheap.
I've said the same thing on another forum. Mayfield wouldn't add significant wins to the Seahawlks total but he'd make the Seahawks watchable, competitive, and capable of developing players. Darnold is a turnover machine who'd be more expensive without necessarily being an upgrade - the worst of all Worlds. However, he's a physical specimen and Carroll could be swayed by that.

GemCity

Reaction score
I’d rather exercise some patience. There’s some relief attached with low expectations. Pete stans may think always comPete but, this is a rebuild. It’s not a “retool”, it’s not we’re going to go out here and make the playoffs. It’s a rebuild. What the hell else is Pete or John supposed to say? “We know we’re going to lose but we have a plan?”.

There’s no QB available at this time that’s going to do anything more than set us back in next years draft.

I’m good watching the rooks grow, seeing JA healthy, witnessing Brooks turn into a star, Penny establishing himself as a #1 back, Tre Brown recovering and playing like he flashed before injury, resigning DK and not being salty because we, well…what’s a better word than suck?

Patience…grab Levis next year and draft like we did this year…then we’re on to something.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Is Mayfield better than Lock or Geno? I don't think so

View attachment 53511
Yes, yes he is. Baker Mayfield is better than Geno Smith and Drew Lock. The real question is: Is he worth trading for? No, the opportunity cost is too great. Even 2021 Mayfield with a bum shoulder is a better passer than anything those two have done in their careers.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Yes, yes he is. Baker Mayfield is better than Geno Smith and Drew Lock. The real question is: Is he worth trading for? No, the opportunity cost is too great. Even 2021 Mayfield with a bum shoulder is a better passer than anything those two have done in their careers.
No he isn’t. He has zero downfield capabilities are you insane? Dude led the league in balls thrown in the dirt 3 yards short of the receiver. It’s why OBJ bolted town

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Well perhaps the Hawks will develop a short passing game and see if they can fix Mayfield’s long ball by strengthening his arm. Actually just kidding, cause I think he’ll go to Carolina.

Perseus68

Reaction score
If Mayfield can beat Drew Lock or Gino then it’s worth it. 2023 sign Lock or Mayfield to be back up QB and let the other walk hopefully generating Compensation draft pick for 2024.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
I've said the same thing on another forum. Mayfield wouldn't add significant wins to the Seahawlks total but he'd make the Seahawks watchable, competitive, and capable of developing players. Darnold is a turnover machine who'd be more expensive without necessarily being an upgrade - the worst of all Worlds. However, he's a physical specimen and Carroll could be swayed by that.
Often...almost always...the more you pay, the less you get.
Lock's most recent game(vs KC) was watchable, including his 2 TD runs, his foot speed chasing the well-guarded (former Missouri teammate) Nick Bolton to the endzone after the Gordon 'fumble', and even (the look on Lock's face) on the 1st quarter deep pass off of Jeudy's fingertips.
(Quote marks around 'fumble' are because unblocked Melvin Ingraham was almost quick enough to take the handoff on that play.)

Rosco

Reaction score
Often...almost always...the more you pay, the less you get.
Lock's most recent game(vs KC) was watchable, including his 2 TD runs, his foot speed chasing the well-guarded (former Missouri teammate) Nick Bolton to the endzone after the Gordon 'fumble', and even (the look on Lock's face) on the 1st quarter deep pass off of Jeudy's fingertips.
(Quote marks around 'fumble' are because unblocked Melvin Ingraham was almost quick enough to take the handoff on that play.)
He was quick enough. Hence why he was credited with the fumble

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Garoppolo has two other advantages over Mayfield.
First, when he's played, he's been better than Mayfield. That "when he's played" qualifier is a rough one, though, because he's missed a lot of time. But now both are coming back from shoulder surgery.

Additionally, if the Seahawks were actually going to trade for one of those two, rather than wait and see if one or both get cut (or just ignore them both, which is what I'd prefer), Garoppolo's contract is much more team-friendly than Mayfield's. Mayfield's contract is almost $19M, fully guaranteed. Garoppolo, on the other hand, has a $600,000 workout bonus that at this point, I don't think the acquiring team would have to pay - it'd probably be on the Gold Diggers (who also have $1.4M of Garoppolo's signing bonus on this year's cap no matter what happens) if anyone. So for the acquiring team, it would be $24.2M in salary, plus $0.8M in roster bonuses for a total of $25M, but with none of that guaranteed. So basically, if a team ends up with Garoppolo on that same contract (i.e., if he's not cut), that team will pay him a little over $1.47M per game, and will be able to cut him at any time if he's no good.

But given where the Seahawks are now, it just doesn't make much sense to spend even $9.5M of cap space on Mayfield (if the Browns were to pay half his salary), much less some amount up to $25M on Garoppolo. At this point, the Seahawks don't have enough cap space for either of those guys, and neither looks like enough of a difference maker to be worth cutting other players from the 53-man roster in order to fit him under the cap. Additionally, it's not clear that either of these guys would want to play for a team without a contract extension. It seems clear to me that what the Seahawks ought to do is keep some surplus cap and roll it into next season rather than wasting it on one of two guys who clearly won't be the Seahawks' QB of the future.

Teams obviously believe there's an advantage to having a top QB at top-QB money, because they keep pushing the meaning of "top-QB money" upward. Teams also obviously believe that Mayfield and Garoppolo are not top QBs, or even close enough to it to pay 40-50% of top-QB money for a season of one of those two, because both are still on the rosters of teams that are going with other QBs, and no other team has moved to get either of them.

But paying a top QB top-QB money isn't the only way to build a contender. There is an alternative approach that can also succeed, which is having a cheaper QB who's not near the top tier, but whose low cap hit gives the franchise the flexibility to build a much-stronger team around him, and who is just good enough to contend for titles with the stronger team around him. It worked for the Seahawks a decade ago, before Wilson developed into a better (and more-expensive) QB. It also worked for the Patriots through Brady's 20s. People forget that Brady's first Peyton Manning-level season was Brady's age-30 season. Before that, he was a "game manager" who was adequate but nowhere near great, and the debate was about Manning's all-time-great QB performance vs. the titles Brady won as a "game manager."

Last edited: