REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If Mayfield was in Seattle and spoke to the Hawks then they had to have had the Browns consent to speak to him to avoid tampering allegations.

All in all where there is some smoke there may in fact be something cooking there.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Mayfield will need to be very reasonable in contract negotiations with Seattle if they did trade for him. However, I simply don't see the team trading much for a player who will be a UFA next year. At this point Cleveland would eating $9.4 mil of Mayfield's $18.8 mil salary for this season and that likely isn't enough to allow a trade for much more than a 5th rd. pick. Trading that pick might allow the Hawks to acquire a 3rd rd. pick if Mayfield became a UFA next year and was signed to a fairly significant contract by another team.

I still think Mayfield will find himself going to Carolina in due course. If that happens the Hawks might acquire Darnold who'd also need to be cheap.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
THIS is a big reason I hope he comes here. Not only is he a better QB, but it would freak people out. Popcorn time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
THIS is a big reason I hope he comes here. Not only is he a better QB, but it would freak people out. Popcorn time.

I have no idea why any fan would be so against Mayfield coming here with who we have at QB, arguably the worst QB room in the entire league right now.

No one, and I mean NO ONE should be off the table for competing at QB.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Why??? So you can sign him to a multi year deal and watch the team struggle to get 7 wins? I'd rather roll with whats here and draft the next guy. Mayfield is a journeyman qb..nothing more..and I'd say he isn't better than what's here. If so its marginal at best.

Rosco

Reaction score
I have no idea why any fan would be so against Mayfield coming here with who we have at QB, arguably the worst QB room in the entire league right now.

Baker was hated in the locker room in Cleveland. Why PC would think Seattle be different is beyond me

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Baker was hated in the locker room in Cleveland. Why PC would think Seattle be different is beyond me

Lots of players didn't like Russell, that didn't seem to stop the team from winning and going to SB's.

If there are cap or contract issues with bringing Baker in to compete? Then I see that. But from a pure talent and need standpoint? You'd be crazy not to kick those tires to see if he's better then Geno and Lock.

Because if you're just going off of past performance and stats? Mayfield is better, by a LOT.

Rosco

Reaction score
Lots of players didn't like Russell, that didn't seem to stop the team from winning and going to SB's.

If there are cap or contract issues with bringing Baker in to compete? Then I see that. But from a pure talent and need standpoint? You'd be crazy not to kick those tires to see if he's better then Geno and Lock.

Because if you're just going off of past performance and stats? Mayfield is better, by a LOT.
There’s a difference between not being liked and not being respected. I guess I should have been more specific.

Rosco

Reaction score

Not by a lot, if at all. based on past performance.

Boycie

Reaction score
If they are going to make the move for Baker, shouldn't they be getting after it? He needs to learn the whole playbook and rhythm of the offense, and I'm no expert, but doesn't that take some time?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I guess you can say that when Mayfield is just sitting there, but giving up something to acquire him messes up the whole balance of what's happening.

Geno's obviously respected. Lock is the competition. Why give up money and capital for a noted malcontent who lost his team with essentially no shot of ever being good enough to get you over the hump?

I just don't see it working from a team building perspective. Culture is what matters right now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I mean, you say that now, but you'd surely get tired of it after a week and be the first one posting "Well, guys, I guess we should just move on since he's the starter 😕" in response to the threads.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hard to know where this info is coming from Cleveland Browns, Mayfield's agent, or ???.

Seems more like BS than reality.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Give me Kap.
All day, every day, twice on game day.
You want to establish a harmonious locker room?
You bring that man in and really re-establish the culture.
If you're joking, that's really funny.

If you're serious, that's really really funny!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I don't understand why people are so enamored with Kaepernick. It's going to be close to 7 years since he's played a game. When he left the game he just a backup tier of player.
And it's probably worth reminding people that Kaepernick left the game because of Kaepernick. HE is the one who voided his contract, not his team.