REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Agree on NOT taking the Browns word on anything. That team has been so poorly managed for so long it is a miracle they even still have a team.

That franchise continues to perpetuate their 'Factory of Sadness' schtick with the insensitive and foolish way they have handled Mayfield, and the guaranteed $230 million they have given Watson while he faces numerous civil law suits for sexual offences the could result in his suspension for an indeterminate time period.

That they are seemingly finally coming to the realization Mayfield won't play for them again, that they are on the hook for a guaranteed $18.8 mil for this upcoming season for Mayfield, and they will get nothing for him expect possibly a comp. pick if he signs elsewhere after becoming a FA next year is reflective of the crappy team management. This awakening seems to be signalled by their willingness to now discuss eating a portion of his guaranteed salary. How far they go will be related to a draft pick trade or what level of pick they get back in trade for either a cheap player or one that is expensive and on a one year contract that Cleveland will pay to allow Mayfield to play elsewhere.

In the end the Hawks could acquire Mayfield for a season at a very reduced rate with the salary they are willing to pay offsetting against the guaranteed $ Cleveland is already on the hook for this season. The real questions are: does he potentially improve the Hawks depth at QB and what is it worth for the one year shot??

To me paying a 4th to 5th rd pick for an extended and cheap assessment look could be worth the price, but only if he is cheap. In the end the Hawks either have an average or slightly better than average game manager type QB that they elect to try to sign after the year is up, or they acquire a comp pick for if they are unable. If the price is right the acquisition of Mayfield could be a good thing with little downside.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Give me Kap.
All day, every day, twice on game day.
You want to establish a harmonious locker room?
You bring that man in and really re-establish the culture.
Explain to me what Kap brings that Geno and Lock don't? He hasn't thrown the ball since 2016 and even when he was in the league in his last year he wasn't looking so good. Teams keyed in on his weaknesses and made him ineffective. He's a one read QB that relied on his legs and athleticism to get the job done when things broke down. He never learned how to go through progressions. At the age of 34 years old do you really think he could pull off the things that he did in 11-13? Especially with how defenses have evolved to combat the likes of Mahomes, Jackson and Wilson.

I don't understand why people are so enamored with Kaepernick. It's going to be close to 7 years since he's played a game. When he left the game he just a backup tier of player.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Mayfield is interesting because we really don't know his ceiling. Chubb and some other Browns players have recently spoken in support of him. I'm interested in what Lock or maybe Geno can bring but I'm expecting T-Jack like results with them under center. I watch a few Browns games last season and Mayfield seemed tough and could put some great plays together. but I also saw a few really poorly thrown passes to wide open receivers and some Wilsonesque moments of trying to force plays and holding the ball too long. He was a banged up unit last season so that may have something to do with it.

As for Kap. He's still a Niner in my eyes and was dismissive of our Hawks after we beat them in the NFC Championship game. I don't want him for only petty reasons like that.

Rosco

Reaction score
Mayfield is interesting because we really don't know his ceiling. Chubb and some other Browns players have recently spoken in support of him. I'm interested in what Lock or maybe Geno can bring but I'm expecting T-Jack like results with them under center. I watch a few Browns games last season and Mayfield seemed tough and could put some great plays together. but I also saw a few really poorly thrown passes to wide open receivers and some Wilsonesque moments of trying to force plays and holding the ball too long. He was a banged up unit last season so that may have something to do with it.

As for Kap. He's still a Niner in my eyes and was dismissive of our Hawks after we beat them in the NFC Championship game. I don't want him for only petty reasons like that.
Everyone knows Bakers ceiling, it isn’t all that high. He has a high floor but Baker is a known commodity.
If Baker was really a legitimate NFL starter, teams would not think twice about paying Bakers $19M guaranteed contract. $19M ain’t shit when compared to what the market is paying for a NFL starter.
Chubb, and only Chubb, said something nice about Bakers attitude and intensity. Not his ability to play QB. That’s largely due to their friendship.
Seattle is not going to go after Baker unless Lock and Smith shit the bed and do poorly in TC.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The most recent thing I read is that the Browns concession would only be to pay a portion of the salary, leaving the acquiring team to pick up the reminder of the tab. IMO the remainder of the tab is too high a price to pay for another Lock project, but one with an entirely different attitude than the positive outlook Lock has presented.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Give me Kap.
All day, every day, twice on game day.
You want to establish a harmonious locker room?
You bring that man in and really re-establish the culture.
Obviously,tongue in cheek. Hopefully.

toffee

Reaction score
Baker and his girlfriend supposingly is or was in Seattle on an unplanned road trip.

Rosco

Reaction score
Am I glad that it's ain't true, so not want Baker on 2022 Hawks' team.
Probably someone in Bakers’ camp trying to drum up pressure/hype on Seattle to make a move. Baker already knows the players in Carolina aren’t interested

The Breh

Reaction score
Explain to me what Kap brings that Geno and Lock don't? He hasn't thrown the ball since 2016 and even when he was in the league in his last year he wasn't looking so good. Teams keyed in on his weaknesses and made him ineffective. He's a one read QB that relied on his legs and athleticism to get the job done when things broke down. He never learned how to go through progressions. At the age of 34 years old do you really think he could pull off the things that he did in 11-13? Especially with how defenses have evolved to combat the likes of Mahomes, Jackson and Wilson.

I don't understand why people are so enamored with Kaepernick. It's going to be close to 7 years since he's played a game. When he left the game he just a backup tier of player.
It's part of my point, he's not going to be any worse than the expectations we have of the two we have ready to take the helm.
Niners as a whole fell apart, not just him.
If we're expecting dogshit, let's make some noise doing so. From a ownership standpoint, the man will sell a ton of jerseys.
The Raiders' workout with him was "positive" and he's still got wheels and an arm per the report.
It's a wash as far as tread on tires because neither Geno/Lock have played much themselves.
I've been, as far as this board is concerned, well amongst the minority in my stance.
People can make all the "football" excuses they want. Nobody wants to admit he knelt for a good cause.
If he knelt for the same reason the Giants manager is now not coming out for the anthem? We'll see how that goes for him but I reckon it'd be a different story.

This is the year to do it. When expectations are low and an opportunity of team building to mold a togetherness that comes with the move.

"Fans" and those who cheer for "Brandon" be damned.

Rosco

Reaction score
It's part of my point, he's not going to be any worse than the expectations we have of the two we have ready to take the helm.
Niners as a whole fell apart, not just him.
If we're expecting dogshit, let's make some noise doing so. From a ownership standpoint, the man will sell a ton of jerseys.
The Raiders' workout with him was "positive" and he's still got wheels and an arm per the report.
It's a wash as far as tread on tires because neither Geno/Lock have played much themselves.
I've been, as far as this board is concerned, well amongst the minority in my stance.
People can make all the "football" excuses they want. Nobody wants to admit he knelt for a good cause.
If he knelt for the same reason the Giants manager is now not coming out for the anthem? We'll see how that goes for him but I reckon it'd be a different story.

This is the year to do it. When expectations are low and an opportunity of team building to mold a togetherness that comes with the move.

"Fans" and those who cheer for "Brandon" be damned.
The Raiders workout was a publicity stunt. Mark Davis was trying to look good ahead of a spike lee interview for a documentary Spike is doing on Kapernick. Kap would be a raider if it was legitimately true he had a good work out

Rosco

Reaction score
The Raiders workout was a publicity stunt. Mark Davis was trying to look good ahead of a spike lee interview for a documentary Spike is doing on Kapernick. Kap would be a raider if it was legitimately true he had a good work out
I should say he had a good work out but the Raiders never had any real intention of signing Kap.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He's the definition of mediocrity he's not good at anything. He's also a poor leader and has a big mouth i do not want him on my team. Fortunately neither does Pete if they wanted him he would be here now. Cleveland wanted him out so bad they gave a fully guaranteed contract to a guy with serious legal baggage. He's there problem not ours.

flv2

Reaction score
Q) What's worse than a 'Suck for Luck' season?
A) A 'suck for Luck' season with no Luck at the end of it.