REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

Aircrew

Reaction score
If the Hawks can land Mayfield on the cheap, then absolutely go and get him. Anything more than that and it doesn't make sense.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If you don't see that he is significantly better than any QB on our current roster I can't help you. Is he the answer? I don't know and I thought I made myself clear on a minimum deal. What's the harm in kicking the tires?
You're right...you didn't help me. I've been watching Mayfield since he began playing college ball. He was recruited by Kansas, but of course went to Oklahoma. He has always enjoyed better surrounding talent than Lock, yet Lock maintained a solidly competitive level of play in a very tough conference, and he did it with no fooforaw off the field.
I agree there is likely no harm in kicking the tires, so long as we don't pay too much for that privilege. I haven't seen anything from Mayfield that appears to be superior to Lock in terms of physical talent.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
He is MUCH better than any QB we have on the roster and after this draft I don't feel like we are in tank mode, min deal and no expectations i say do it today!!
Is he much better than any QB we have on the roster? At best, he is statistically to this point in his career slightly better than QBs currently on the roster. From a raw tools perspective, I do not think he is better than at least 1 QB currently on the roster. And, I am a MUCH better football talent evaluator than you.

Of course we are not in "tank mode". Tanking is more of an NBA thing. In the NFL tanking kills team culture; well-run organizations do not tank. All that aside, what is it we did in the draft that signaled to you that we were not in "tank mode"? What might we have done to make you feel that we were in "tank mode"?

Serious question: How do we get a guy under contract with another team and not likely to be cut on a "min deal"?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
You're right...you didn't help me. I've been watching Mayfield since he began playing college ball. He was recruited by Kansas, but of course went to Oklahoma. He has always enjoyed better surrounding talent than Lock, yet Lock maintained a solidly competitive level of play in a very tough conference, and he did it with no fooforaw off the field.
I agree there is likely no harm in kicking the tires, so long as we don't pay too much for that privilege. I haven't seen anything from Mayfield that appears to be superior to Lock in terms of physical talent.
Being recruited by Kansas with our string of horrible seasons and coaches and turning that down was, if true, unfortunately a smart move. Les Miles, David Beaty and Charlie Weis. Ugh. (But a couple of decent CBs in Aqib Talib and Chris Harris didn’t turn out too bad. Always take a flyer on a KU CB and an Oklahoma State RB late in a draft)

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I don't get a few of these.. but the others I agree with.
Probably hurt our position yes.. but we arent getting top qbs unless we win 2 games at most.
I dont mind a 15 to 19 pick. Lets see how he does, we all know systems change people sometimes. Honestly can't hurt at this point
Next year‘s QB class should be at least 4 deep for potential franchise types.

If neither ours or Denver’s pick falls in the range to snag one (don’t discount an elite D player going high and pushing a QB down) then packaging multiple #1s together to move up seems likely. In that scenario every tick on the draft pick value chart helps.

There‘s literally zero upside to Baker and the couple Ws he might impact. He’s not a good role model, won’t contribute to a winning culture, and won‘t stay in Seattle unless we out bid every other franchise.

You don’t break up with Amber Heard to start dating Lindsay Lohan.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Even if he did become a Hawk, he'd still be part of the competition. I can't see him being handed the reigns based on his starting experience/draft position.

The Hawks do have two fifth-round picks. As such, I'd be okay giving up a sixth or seventh IF the Browns ate most of the salary cap hit.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Mayfield is barely over 6' I don't know about anyone else but, I'm tired of short QB's. I'll keep Eason at 6'6" and enjoy the games he gets to play. Let's change up from the Hale-mary's and start hitting things over the middle and maybe a bomb once in a while.
Nah keep the money and use it elsewhere.

Chawker

Reaction score
You are all water walkers ! Do you think the Browns are going to trade off Mayfield with Deshawn Wattson up on 19 assault charges ?

Even I'm not buying this crap. Its a waste of time, and just your wishful thinking.

QWERTY

Reaction score
You are all water walkers ! Do you think the Browns are going to trade off Mayfield with Deshawn Wattson up on 19 assault charges ?

Even I'm not buying this crap. Its a waste of time, and just your wishful thinking.

Do you really think Mayfield is gonna sacrifice 2022 season when he knows Deshawn will be the starting QB? Might as well go on strike and cause panic in the locker room.

Natethegreat

Reaction score

Mayfield wouldn't start for the Browns even if they wanted him too. That ship sailed when they went all in on Watson. They knew that and signed Jacoby Brisset. So yes, the Browns are absolutely going to trade off Mayfield, and no, its not wishful thinking. The only wishful thinking going on is in the Browns front office trying to get someone to take on his full salary.

CPHawk

Reaction score

They fully guaranteed his contract, so they have to think he gets found not guilty.

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score

imagine... that as the starting qb for your team, you played through a rash of injuries including a torn labrum last season and are being replaced by a guy that didn't even play last season and has 19 pending sexual assault charges. ouch! 😭 and, and, and... they pay this replacement that's never played a down for your team 5 years, $230,000,000 fully-guaranteed... while you're still on the roster :eek:

i'm not a baker fan, but they did him dirty. hope nobody bails the browns out and trades for him.

JPatera76

Reaction score
imagine... that as the starting qb for your team, you played through a rash of injuries including a torn labrum last season and are being replaced by a guy that didn't even play last season and has 19 pending sexual assault charges. ouch! 😭 and, and, and... they pay this replacement that's never played a down for your team 5 years, $230,000,000 fully-guaranteed... while you're still on the roster :eek:

i'm not a baker fan, but they did him dirty. hope nobody bails the browns out and trades for him.
Oh 100% did him dirty. FOR SURRRRE

Lagartixa

Reaction score
No team in the NFL knows Mayfield better than the Browns do, and despite having Mayfield on the roster and salary cap with $18.858M fully guaranteed, the Browns threw the "Hail Mary" of fully guaranteeing a $230M five-year deal for Watson. And even though they knew they had a backup QB with $18.858M fully guaranteed for 2022, they went and signed Brissett.
The people in the Browns' front office knew and know how hard it would be to move Mayfield, but they went ahead and did these things anyway. For what it's worth, the Browns are currently the team with the most cap space available in the league for 2022, at around $25M, so they don't need the cap relief trading Mayfield would give them, so they actually have some leverage. Why would they pay a lot of Mayfield's salary so he could play for another team? A year away from playing obviously didn't hurt Watson's career financially, but Mayfield was never anywhere close to being as good as Watson was before 2021. A year off could be devastating to Mayfield's career.

I see the Browns' attitude toward Mayfield this offseason as a clear warning for the rest of the league. I hope the Seahawks heed it.

BASF

Reaction score
No team in the NFL knows Mayfield better than the Browns do, and despite having Mayfield on the roster and salary cap with $18.858M fully guaranteed, the Browns threw the "Hail Mary" of fully guaranteeing a $230M five-year deal for Watson. And even though they knew they had a backup QB with $18.858M fully guaranteed for 2022, they went and signed Brissett.
The people in the Browns' front office knew and know how hard it would be to move Mayfield, but they went ahead and did these things anyway. For what it's worth, the Browns are currently the team with the most cap space available in the league for 2022, at around $25M, so they don't need the cap relief trading Mayfield would give them, so they actually have some leverage. Why would they pay a lot of Mayfield's salary so he could play for another team? A year away from playing obviously didn't hurt Watson's career financially, but Mayfield was never anywhere close to being as good as Watson was before 2021. A year off could be devastating to Mayfield's career.

I see the Browns' attitude toward Mayfield this offseason as a clear warning for the rest of the league. I hope the Seahawks heed it.
It is entirely possible that he is a lot more injured than the Browns have let on.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
It's also possible that the Browns are a poorly run team that won the Watson sweepstakes but didn't want to part with Mayfield before they actually had Watson.
Thereby putting themselves in a very poor position regarding trading Mayfield. It can be as simple as a that.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I can’t believe people are taking the browns word for anything. Besides the Mariners, they are the worst run organization in sports.