REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

W

Welshers

Folks I think it could happen. Baker may be coming in here to save the franchise. Reports say the Seahawks are still in trade talks about him and additionally the Browns have softened their stance, now willing to eat some of his dead money. It could happen at any time folks. Get Baker in here on a minimum and let him compete for the job. I expect the news will come sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:

rigelian

Reaction score
Are we talking about Baker Mayfield as a savior of the team. Making us the NFC favorite? I have no problem with signing Baker as part of the QB competition, but I am less than optimistic that Baker will be the difference. I'm banking more on the changes that are being made to the defense and a more sustainable offensive philosophy that doesn't rely on hero ball.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

I'd be thrilled to land him, but come on...
Sorry, sarcasm. Should have made it more clear. I do think it would make us competitive for a potential playoff spot if we landed him

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm happy to be in the minority. I'd love to see Baker play her. If the team is gonna' suck, might as well be entertaining. He's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He plays hard, he actually cares, and is clearly a tough dude.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh. I am certainly not down with spending a ton of cash or draft capital to get him. I don't think he is the answer to "what should we do with all the shit we got for Russ?" question.

YMMV

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mayfield's a Sophie's Choice for me.

Is he currently better than both Geno and Lock? Yes. But is he a QB I want as our QB of the future during the beginning stages of a rebuild?

No, no he's not.

So yeah, he might be the difference this year between 5-6 wins and maybe 7-8 wins. But for a one year band aid trade? Who cares. I'd rather make sure Lock stinks like everyone thinks he does, and then use our draft capital next year to draft or acquire our QB of the future.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm still curious why people think he's an obvious upgrade over Geno. Mayfield was outright bad last year and there's a reason why Cleveland moved on from him.

2021 Baker Mayfield: 60.5% completion rate, 6.6 AY/A, 17-13 TD-INT, 5.41 ANY/A, 35.1 QBR
2021 Geno Smith: 68.4% completion rate, 8.0 AY/A, 5-1 TD-INT, 5.93 ANY/A, 45.8 QBR

Geno only played in four games but was better in every statistical area. He already fills the mediocre veteran QB spot with Lock and Eason competing as developmental guys with more upside.

That being said there's nothing wrong with adding Mayfield to the QB competition IF the price was extremely low. We could maybe recoup a compensatory pick for him the following year so giving up a late round pick wouldn't be a big deal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm still curious why people think he's an obvious upgrade over Geno. Mayfield was outright bad last year and there's a reason why Cleveland moved on from him.

Obvious? No, but Baker's still a starting caliber QB in the NFL.

Geno hasn't been a starting QB since 2014 for a reason, he's just not very good.

But you can't just look at these things in a vacuum, you have to know where your team's at, and more importantly where Mayfield's at.....and where he's at is coming off a terrible year where he was injured, AND he's pissed because the Brown's didn't give him an extension.

So these are all the reasons I'd probably pass and just see where we're at with Lock before moving on to our next franchise QB. Because again, the difference in wins between Mayfield and Lock/Geno? Maybe 1-3 at the most. If that.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Well there's your coach's endorsement of Lock and Geno Smith right there.

A real early-summer QB confidence boost from the head office.

John63

Reaction score
God, I hope not. Here is what some are hoping for

61 complt%, 1.6 td/int, 87 passer rating.

Not to mention you guys were upset at Wilson's outside football stuff, Mayfield is worse with a worse attitude.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Mayfield for no picks and minimal cap. That is the only starting point.

If the Hawks want to give Baker a spin than sure, at minimal cost.

jlwaters1

Reaction score

2021 Baker Mayfield: 60.5% completion rate, 6.6 AY/A, 17-13 TD-INT, 5.41 ANY/A, 35.1 QBR
2021 Geno Smith: 68.4% completion rate, 8.0 AY/A, 5-1 TD-INT, 5.93 ANY/A, 45.8 QBR

Geno only played in four games but was better in every statistical area. He already fills the mediocre veteran QB spot with Lock and Eason competing as developmental guys with more upside.

That being said there's nothing wrong with adding Mayfield to the QB competition IF the price was extremely low. We could maybe recoup a compensatory pick for him the following year so giving up a late round pick wouldn't be a big deal.
This is where statistics fail. Watch the games. Geno wasn't good. The offense had no bite. inexplicably Geno had "good stats" but was inconsistent and worse yet not bold enough to press the ball downfield.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think Baker is an improvement over Lock, but I'm not sure how much. He'd have to come at a serious discount... like late round pick.