Report: AP has been indicted on negligent injury to a child

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":rackpnpa said:
kearly":rackpnpa said:
I'm curious to see how the public reaction plays out. Seems that most people agree that Peterson was in the wrong, but it hasn't had the same explosive reaction that Ray Rice got as of yet. Knowing Goodell, his ruling will be a barometer of public outrage.

I wasn't online the instant the Rice thing exploded but on PFT they have a bazillion comments in 2 seconds after they post an update. It seems pretty explosive to me. Parents are going to go bananas I think on those pictures. I'm 10x as upset as I was about the Rice thing, gruesome as that was (n=1 sample size I realize).

If reaction to those pictures isn't explosive I may vomit.

You're not the only one

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/510557675374264320[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
hawk45":2e3miy2e said:
kearly":2e3miy2e said:
I'm curious to see how the public reaction plays out. Seems that most people agree that Peterson was in the wrong, but it hasn't had the same explosive reaction that Ray Rice got as of yet. Knowing Goodell, his ruling will be a barometer of public outrage.

I wasn't online the instant the Rice thing exploded but on PFT they have a bazillion comments in 2 seconds after they post an update. It seems pretty explosive to me. Parents are going to go bananas I think on those pictures. I'm 10x as upset as I was about the Rice thing, gruesome as that was (n=1 sample size I realize).

If reaction to those pictures isn't explosive I may vomit.

In this thread it seems less than a slam dunk. On the radio the commentators seemed to be cautious in their condemnation of Peterson.

This issue is more political, it comes down to how progressive you are on child discipline. People who are more old-school aren't going to be all that offended, whereas in the Rice case EVERYONE was extremely offended.

It's okay to have different opinions. To me, knocking a woman unconscious with a vicious left hook is not in the same category as spanking your kid too hard. What Rice did was much worse, IMO.

But in today's outrage society, it's getting harder to tell what's up and what's down. People will probably freak out more for Peterson than they did for Hardy who almost killed his GF with his bare hands.

Marvin49

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3jqduj7x said:
This happened in May btw...how did it take THIS LONG for all of it to come out...MAY???? Thats a long time ago. But anyway it will be interesting to see what will come of it...even if the nfl doesnt hand down any punishment at least the vikings didnt wait for the courts to decide and did something about it.

Right....

....but they let him play last week knowing this was going on and they get credit for benching him when it goes public.

OK.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I have no problem with spanking a child for discipline. I've spanked my kids. Taking a switch to the legs of a 4 year old though? That's abuse to me.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty old school, and in fact, I believe that corporal punishment is a completely healthy way to discipline, when done properly, that means not in anger and not causing skin breaks or bruising. Looking at the pictures though and it's clear that this is not just a regular old spanking and it's not a one off according to his own words, he's done this many times on his children. Those words matched with those pictures should convince even the most ardent supporters of corporal punishment that AP took it too far and deserves to be punished within the law and the NFL

kearly

Reaction score
kidhawk":3jpztl17 said:
I'm pretty old school, and in fact, I believe that corporal punishment is a completely healthy way to discipline, when done properly, that means not in anger and not causing skin breaks or bruising. Looking at the pictures though and it's clear that this is not just a regular old spanking and it's not a one off according to his own words, he's done this many times on his children. Those words matched with those pictures should convince even the most ardent supporters of corporal punishment that AP took it too far and deserves to be punished within the law and the NFL

As said previously in this thread, i think some level of punishment is more than fair for AP.

Polaris

Reaction score
I don't disagree with coporal punishment, but the pictures do give me reason to pause. Regardless, even if it was just a 'spanking' (and we don't know that), what the Vikes have done is the right thing. AP isn't being denied pay, but by deactivating him, it's making a statement while giving everyone time to gather the facts.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":1oewhe1c said:
Polaris":1oewhe1c said:
I consider what the Vikes have done to be the equivalent of 'suspension with pay' for most other walks of life. It won't cost him pay but it does get the message across. Again, good for the Vikes.

I agree, this was the best move the Vikings could make. They acted swiftly, and in light of the evidence and AP's own admissions, they really had little other recourse. What will be most interesting now is how Goodell handles this. Is he going to let it play out in the courts or act swfitly?

Eh, this happened four months ago and by chance they just happened to deactivate him within 90 minutes of the pictures leaking? It's about nothing more than PR, which is fine, but I'm not going to give them credit for it. Like Goodell and the Ravens, this looks like them being generally disinterested in what he did, and only concerned about people knowing about it. And no doubt if damming pictures of McDonald's GF leak my favorite team will do the exact same thing, and I'll be just as cynical and unimpressed.

kearly

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32sodvt9 said:
WE NEED TO KICK GOODELL FROM THE LEAGUE FOR THIS!!

Why do you love Goodell so much? I'm genuinely curious to know.

With regards to this case, I think it actually helps Goodell. It distracts the rage machine, and it gives Goodell a chance to look like a hero.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
My mom disciplined with a wooden stick. covered in wax. It made a switch look appealing. Took me years to get over hard feelings.

My dad was a softie...with a flash temper. A handful of times he went too far. It wasn't til I got older and learned how their parents had been that I realized they were improvements over the previous generation. They tried. I got over it. I don't have children, but my friends and family all do, and I am proud to say that when I am left in charge of the rascals I don't do as my parents did. Both of my sisters have done very well at not copying my parents either with their children. I am very proud of them, I know it is so easy to fall back on the way you were raised as the right way.

Dignity is a human right, not an adult right.

Polaris

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2rmfgex0 said:
kidhawk":2rmfgex0 said:
Polaris":2rmfgex0 said:
I consider what the Vikes have done to be the equivalent of 'suspension with pay' for most other walks of life. It won't cost him pay but it does get the message across. Again, good for the Vikes.

I agree, this was the best move the Vikings could make. They acted swiftly, and in light of the evidence and AP's own admissions, they really had little other recourse. What will be most interesting now is how Goodell handles this. Is he going to let it play out in the courts or act swfitly?

Eh, this happened four months ago and by chance they just happened to deactivate him within 90 minutes of the pictures leaking? It's about nothing more than PR, which is fine, but I'm not going to give them credit for it. Like Goodell and the Ravens, this looks like them being generally disinterested in what he did, and only concerned about people knowing about it. And no doubt if damming pictures of McDonald's GF leak they'll do the exact same thing, and I'll be just as unimpressed.

Better than doing nothing even after an arrest was made.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3sovfuyr said:
kidhawk":3sovfuyr said:

As said previously in this thread, i think some level of punishment is more than fair for AP.

I didn't mean to imply that you were against his punishment, I was replying to the part where you said that there are those that are pro and those that are anti spanking and that would factor into the debate. I was just being clear that even though I'm pro spanking, this was too far and is deserving of punishment.

As for the Rice situation, it was definitely worse. I fully believe that Peterson was disciplined in a similar manner and felt that he was just being a good parent. he needs to learn the lesson though that it wasn't good parenting and the fact that he seems to continue to believe what he did was ok tells me he needs punishing. Ray Rice literally knocked his fiance out in an elevator. There's no excuse for that (not that there is one for what Peterson did).

I think it's safe to say that most can agree both were wrong and both need to be held responsible for their actions

kearly

Reaction score
Polaris":39ao2jsu said:
Regardless, even if it was just a 'spanking' (and we don't know that)...

Marks were to the buttocks, thighs, and lower back.

kearly

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ayrc98i said:
I didn't mean to imply that you were against his punishment, I was replying to the part where you said that there are those that are pro and those that are anti spanking and that would factor into the debate. I was just being clear that even though I'm pro spanking, this was too far and is deserving of punishment.

As for the Rice situation, it was definitely worse. I fully believe that Peterson was disciplined in a similar manner and felt that he was just being a good parent. he needs to learn the lesson though that it wasn't good parenting and the fact that he seems to continue to believe what he did was ok tells me he needs punishing. Ray Rice literally knocked his fiance out in an elevator. There's no excuse for that (not that there is one for what Peterson did).

I think it's safe to say that most can agree both were wrong and both need to be held responsible for their actions

I agree 100%.

I was just talking about how people react emotionally. Some will react more emotionally than others. Just look at this thread.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Teen births and teen violent crimes are typically down each year even as spanking becomes socially unacceptable.

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/y ... rends.html

Corporal punishment itself isn't special. Families that spend time with their kids, educating children, and consistent punishment work every time.

I also think there's not much proof that younger generations are typically better or worse than other generations. This generation is way less racist, homophobic, and sexist than the Greatest Generation, they are better at saving money than Baby Boomers...every generation has its own set of challenges.

Anyway, I saw the pictures. If it were a swat on the butt, that's one thing. But switching a four-year-old like that is over the top.

mikeak

Reaction score
Polaris":30v7r3tg said:
Popeyejones":30v7r3tg said:
kidhawk":30v7r3tg said:
Polaris":30v7r3tg said:

Eh, this happened four months ago and by chance they just happened to deactivate him within 90 minutes of the pictures leaking? It's about nothing more than PR, which is fine, but I'm not going to give them credit for it. Like Goodell and the Ravens, this looks like them being generally disinterested in what he did, and only concerned about people knowing about it. And no doubt if damming pictures of McDonald's GF leak they'll do the exact same thing, and I'll be just as unimpressed.

Better than doing nothing even after an arrest was made.

AND CONVICTION (Hardy)

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":rl5ru6ie said:
My mom disciplined with a wooden stick. covered in wax. It made a switch look appealing. Took me years to get over hard feelings.

My dad was a softie...with a flash temper. A handful of times he went too far. It wasn't til I got older and learned how their parents had been that I realized they were improvements over the previous generation. They tried. I got over it. I don't have children, but my friends and family all do, and I am proud to say that when I am left in charge of the rascals I don't do as my parents did. Both of my sisters have done very well at not copying my parents either with their children. I am very proud of them, I know it is so easy to fall back on the way you were raised as the right way.

Dignity is a human right, not an adult right.

Apologies for misreading your intent.

In my case, it took me years to get over resentment for verbal abuse from my mother, who had a horrific temper. We get along great now, but for a good long time I was incapable of feeling love for her.

Like you, I later came to find out that their parents had major issues growing up, particularly my dad, who would be abandoned for weeks at a time and suffered every kind of abuse imaginable, including sexual. My dad is the greatest dad ever, he took that upbringing as a lesson of everything not to do. But did he whoop my ass with a stick every now and then? Sure. But it wasn't anything I would consider traumatizing.

I wonder, did AP have a dad?