Rams sign OBJ for 1.25 million dollars, we had 10 mil more..

kf3339

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me at all. This team is no longer a destination point for top FA talent.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If the Seahawks wanted to go to the playoffs and have a chance to do anything, especially against the Rams, they would have done it.

We probably would have been swept by the Rams anyway but this essentially guarantees it.

More importantly, we now know that IF we make the playoffs we will be an afterthought, have no chance against the Rams (even though admittedly had no chance before the trade), and there is nothing on the horizon that will now make us better or give us really any chance to be a serious threat for winning even a division playoff game.

It isn't like we are going to spend that $7M wisely anyway. It is going to be wasted on players that don't move the needle or matter.

This was a roll of the die but at least it would show Russ we were giving him what he wanted (after screwing the pooch on AB) and might turn things around if we would bother to roll out an actual passing attack.

More than anything it would give fans some sort of hope.

Now we just get more of Carroll impact: Excuses & Almosts
The days of Carroll delivering winning teams has been over for a long time. But his team is indeed one of the top teams in getting excuses made for it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2wymvvrz said:
If the Seahawks wanted to go to the playoffs and have a chance to do anything, especially against the Rams, they would have done it.

We probably would have been swept by the Rams anyway but this essentially guarantees it.

More importantly, we now know that IF we make the playoffs we will be an afterthought, have no chance against the Rams (even though admittedly had no chance before the trade), and there is nothing on the horizon that will now make us better or give us really any chance to be a serious threat for winning even a division playoff game.

It isn't like we are going to spend that $7M wisely anyway. It is going to be wasted on players that don't move the needle or matter.

This was a roll of the die but at least it would show Russ we were giving him what he wanted (after screwing the pooch on AB) and might turn things around if we would bother to roll out an actual passing attack.

More than anything it would give fans some sort of hope.

Now we just get more of Carroll impact: Excuses & Almosts
The days of Carroll delivering winning teams has been over for a long time. But his team is indeed one of the top teams in getting excuses made for it.

Oh my lord, the dramatics.

You're acting like the Seahawks just said "nah," as if the guy was a piece of fruit at a grocery store that could just be bought or not bought.

That's not how it works, in the slightest. He had a choice and he made his choice.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Honestly, I might be confused. My understanding is that if you claim them on waivers, you have their rights for the remainder. They only get to make that choice if they hit FA.

Are you saying that if they claimed him on waivers and he didn't want to play for the Hawks - he could just go somewhere else?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":a48zsfnl said:

You honestly think he's going to have that much impact? I sure dont.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2fxug9e9 said:
Honestly, I might be confused. My understanding is that if you claim them on waivers, you have their rights for the remainder. They only get to make that choice if they hit FA.

Are you saying that if they claimed him on waivers and he didn't want to play for the Hawks - he could just go somewhere else?

He didn't want to be claimed on waivers and probably would not play for Seattle at all in that case. Over 7 million for nothing but a pissed receiver who didn't want to be claimed.

And then you'd be like "It doesn't matter. Nothing matters. Life is woe. What a misstep."

Chapow

Reaction score
The Rams, Packers, Chiefs, Saints, Patriots, and Seahawks all tried to sign him (and probably others that we aren't aware of). He chose the Rams.

Claiming him off of waivers would've been a stupid move. He said he didn't want to be claimed, and wanted to be a free agent, so claiming him would have just pissed him off. It also would've been pretty stupid to pay a 3rd WR $7 million for half a season IMO. Especially a guy that apparently didn't want to be here (or in Green Bay, Kansas City, New Orleans, or New England). And lets keep in mind that it wasn't just the Seahawks that didn't claim him. It was literally every single team in the league, including quite a few that obviously wanted him as we know because they tried to sign him after he cleared waivers.

Rat

Reaction score
He needs more than anything to re-establish his value going into free agency. I would have called his bluff on the claiming thing; it wouldn't have been in his best interests to do that.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I read an article somewhere regarding the Rams signing OBJ. I just tried to find it and could not do so. Anyway, the reporter interviewed a current Cleveland CB (I think Troy Hill) that played for the Rams last year. Hill basically said that the entire Rams offense runs through Kupp...even the run game to an extent. He believes that it will only be a matter of time before the OBJ/Rams thing implodes. FWIW

nutluck

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1k0z4pib said:
I read an article somewhere regarding the Rams signing OBJ. I just tried to find it and could not do so. Anyway, the reporter interviewed a current Cleveland CB (I think Troy Hill) that played for the Rams last year. Hill basically said that the entire Rams offense runs through Kupp...even the run game to an extent. He believes that it will only be a matter of time before the OBJ/Rams thing implodes. FWIW

It was John Johnson who signed with the Browns this year, he is a FS.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Not really saddened by this news. OBJ has been a locker room cancer or minimally a genuine distraction since before he left NYG. I suspect he will blow up on the Rams and be trouble to them too.

$1.25 is about what I'd expect he was offered bt the Hawks. He chose LA, Boo Hoo!

massari

Reaction score
There were very few decent teams with cap space like the Hawks, and some of you genuinely believe OBJ wouldn't have played with Wilson for $6M more than he got from the Rams....

John jonah jameson lol

Enjoy spending that $7M next season on Greg Olsen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
massari":bpwbewo2 said:
There were very few decent teams with cap space like the Hawks, and some of you genuinely believe OBJ wouldn't have played with Wilson for $6M more than he got from the Rams....

John jonah jameson lol

Enjoy spending that $7M next season on Greg Olsen.

Considering he literally just negotiated his way out of significantly more money with Cleveland, yeah. I'd say he was going to choose where he wanted to play without much consideration to money.

Keep laughing, though. Whatever makes you feel less empty.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2k0q0axm said:
Considering he literally just negotiated his way out of significantly more money with Cleveland, yeah. I'd say he was going to choose where he wanted to play without much consideration to money.

Keep laughing, though. Whatever makes you feel less empty.
He's still getting paid $14M this season by the Browns, which is $3M more than if he stayed there, no?

no-yes.gif

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Let's hope that OBJ addition causes the Rams to be dysfunctional. It only takes one different seed to ruin a good thing. Rams have a good thing going, OBJ could be the type of player to break it. He left the Browns because he wasn't getting the targets. Rams have some good WRs, Woods, Kupp, and Jefferson. Someone is sure to get upset because they aren't getting the amount of targets they want. I'm going say it would be Woods. Kupp doesn't seem like the guy who would complain.

toffee

Reaction score
OBJ turned down opportunities to play with three future HOF QBs, of the three, two were league MVPs. Just so he could play with Matt Stafford at discounted price , that after those three HOF called him personally.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

misfit

Reaction score
Seahawks dont care about winning right now.

Its very simple and sad actually.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
nutluck":39y88wlv said:
WmHBonney":39y88wlv said:

It was John Johnson who signed with the Browns this year, he is a FS.

Troy Hill is also on the Clevelad Browns but you're correct it was Johnson who commented on the OBJ signing with Rams. Here's the link to an article on it - https://www.nfl.com/news/john-johnson-skeptical-odell-beckham-rams-pairing-cooper-kupp