Raiders released/releasing Carr

pmedic920

Reaction score
I don’t think he’s terrible.
Suspect he’ll start somewhere else?

Anyone have an opinion why they won’t look at trades?

Attachments

• 85EC6CB9-D38E-4E8F-9C9D-BA87A3FB17B9.png
    85EC6CB9-D38E-4E8F-9C9D-BA87A3FB17B9.png
    517 KB · Views: 2

sutz

Reaction score
Probably not many trade partners can afford his contract. I imagine he'll get a job somewhere.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He could go to Miami and replace Tua who needs to hang em up.

Jville

Reaction score
My Bad

No trade clause.

But he turned down the Saints.
Will be interesting to watch this one play out.

Carr figures to be a free agent as of 4 PM eastern tomorrow Tuesday 2/14/2023. A good decision that eliminates the cost of trade capital to his new team. He could still end up with the Saints. He'll draw a crowd of inquiry once he becomes a free agent tomorrow.

flv2

Reaction score
I've commented on this a few times. Carr has a no-trade clause so the Raiders can either keep him on his current deal or release him. There is zero incentive for Carr to accept a trade. Any team willing to trade, (just for the sake of a trade value the #80 overall pick), for Carr's contract would presumably be willing to pay at least $1M more to Carr if they didn't have to give up the pick. If the Raiders decide to keep Carr his $33M salary for 2023 and $7M of his 2024 salary would become guaranteed. In that scenario Carr would still be able to block any trade and the Raiders couldn't justify having him as a back-up. Carr's family is settled and would like to stay in Las Vegas.

A trade has never been realistic. Carr took less money to re-sign with the Raiders as long as he had this '1st FA on the market' security blanket.

Mizak

Reaction score
No surprise there. McDaniels is an idiot and looking towards getting Erin or Jimmy G.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Released? Well that is surprising.

Not really. Carr has shown this off season that he's ready to move on from them and he's made it clear he's doing it on his terms. Today was the day that they had to either release him or guarantee him somewhere in the range of $40 million in salary. As he wasn't in their future plans, they tried to trade him, but he denied them that chance using his no trade clause, leaving them no choice.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Released? Well that is surprising.
he was set to make 40m next year. raiders save a ton:

and the relationship had been severed during last season:

i think another reason for pushing carr out of the equation is simply that josh mcdaniels needed a scapegoat for the team's disappointing season, and that scapegoat became derek carr. this buys mcdaniels some time from accountability

Vesuve

Reaction score
Hiring McDaniel's was the beginning of their downfall. We talk about QB's bring coach killers, well McDaniel is a team killer.
It seems like that organization is just ran badly in some different ways.

McDaniel for starters.

They signed Carr to a 3-year deal and then want to trade him after 1 year into it, bench him for the last 2 gams. I remember the tears in a post-game presser....things going on behind the scenes?

I must admit I don't follow the Raiders so I know little.

It seems that Carr kind of got a last poke at them. Perhaps treating the org like they were towards him....?