Quick draft questions for the experts.

Lennie

Reaction score
If hypothetically we end up with the 2nd pick in the draft thanks to the broncos, what would in your opinion be the best thing to do?
Trade the pick to a team desperate for a franchise QB for a boatload of picks, or draft a QB.
Lets assume Gino continues his great play.
Curious to see what the way more football savvy posters think.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
My opinion: I would trade down 4 or 5 spots but still remain in the top 8. Then I'd draft Wil Anderson or Jalen Carter. By trading back it is a gamble that one or both of those guys come off the board, but you should be able to accumulate additional draft capital in 2023 and/or 2024 draft.
Even hoping Wil Anderson remains on the board past pick 3 is wishful thinking.
Here's a link to the top 10 D line prospects: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...-draft-include-bryan-bresee-and-jalen-carter/
Top 10 edge rushers: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2023-nfl-draft-top-10-edge/#Top-10-EDGEs-in-the-2023-NFL-Draft

That's if the Seahawks are able to sign Geno to a 2 or 3 year extension

If Geno refuses to sign a short term deal like that, then I stay at #2 and get Bryce Young or CJ Stroud, whomever is available

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If they're sitting at a top 3 pick, I could see them trading down just a few spots. Esp. if a team is desperate for a certain QB. The next thing you know, you have 3 picks in the 1st round. You can rebuild that D line quickly imo. Not a fan of taking a QB in the 1st, but that's just me. Unless someone truly stands out to them AND if Geno is asking way too much $ etc.
QB in the 2nd round with one of those 2 picks? Absolutely. But I don't claim to be a college draft expert, not even close.
Penix in the late 2nd round would be sweet.

sutz

Reaction score
It's J&S, you know they'll entertain any offers from teams wanting to trade up. If Geno continues as he is, I could definitely see them passing on a QB in the first and looking for impact DL/pass rushers. If Penix declares, he'd be an interesting QB for the 2d/3d round if he lasts that long. There have been other players/positions people have cited lately.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Funny, we are having this exact discussion on the Bears forum. What to do if Bears are #2. The perfect scenario, as some of you note, would be to trade down just one or two positions and still get either Anderson or Carter plus an extra second round pick from some team looking for a QB.

But what do you do if that isn’t possible? That’s where we Bears fans split into warring camps. LOL. Theoretically, you could do a Trey Lance type of trade down out of the top-10 to get a boat load of picks, but you are trading quality for quantity.

Bears and Seahawks are both so weak in run defense and pass rush, that I think both teams should not trade down. After Texans draft their QB, I’d grab Will Anderson and break out the champagne.

We also have a raging discussion about holding injured players out of the Packers game Dec. 4 to get #2 draft position. The Seahawks games with the Rams will similarly have implications for whether the Lions can jump ahead of the Seahawks in the draft.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If hypothetically we end up with the 2nd pick in the draft thanks to the broncos, what would in your opinion be the best thing to do?
Trade the pick to a team desperate for a franchise QB for a boatload of picks, or draft a QB.
Lets assume Gino continues his great play.
Curious to see what the way more football savvy posters think.

It depends on the offer, but it'd have to be a heck of an offer for me to want them to come off Will Anderson. You just don't get shots at blue chip edges like that, and as it stands, he isn't getting past the first team to not take a quarterback. There is no trade back scenario that lets you keep him.

I tend to want to stick and pick in the top 10. JS usually seems to operate in the same way.

Just take Will.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I would absolutely take the best QB available. If we had the second pick that is. Geno has been good but this would be long-term with top talent at the most important position. Top four seems to be Young, Stroud, Anderson, Carter. So even if it’s a D-lineman they want, the quality will drop significantly if they trade down. It is not often this team lands a pick that high. So use it and get a top talent player for once. If they want more picks, trade down with the second first rounder.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
IMO the QBs coming out that are most talked about are not worth a top pick. It all depends on how PC/JC have the players graded I think Anderson is overrated this year he seems to be underwhelming and not really producing a pass rush. Carter would be my 1st choice since he has come back from injury he has been unblockable

I have seen enough PC drafts to expect the unexpected I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade out of the pick especially if a team offers a trade that they can’t turn down

Chevy

Reaction score
IMO the Seahawks stay at #2 and select DE/DT Jalen Carter. Will Anderson is soooo overrated, he is not a once in a generation pass rusher.

Chevy

Reaction score
I can make an argument to rate 3 or 4 other pass rushers better than Will Anderson.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
This is the exact situation I come to hate with Seattle…the interest in trading down…if it works out and the guy they traded down for works out and they got more picks….splendid, however, when it doesn’t work out, man, it’s so costly.

Seattle has passed up on so many good players just to trade down and Seattle got bums instead.

That Seattle’s track record for trading down is pretty subpar.

Sometimes you need to grab that player that all teams grade is possibly the best player in the draft and wouldn’t hesitate to draft him but Seattle gets cute and wants more picks just to have more picks.

Sometimes you just gotta stop with trying to outsmart people, who, are also capable of drafting and developing good players, and just grab the franchise cornerstone that a lot of other teams would run to the podium to select.

But since you asked, I’ll draft Jalen Carter, if he’s available with Seattle’s pick. Assuming, Carter, passes Seattle’s medical examination, etc.

Carter looks to be the 3 Tech/Defensive Tackle/End stalwart Seattle has not had since Cortez Kennedy (possibly Michael Bennett/Brandon Mebane).

Don’t pass on Carter.

Carter is from a proven NFL school and has played on championship teams and very well considered possibly the best lineman to come out of Georgia in the last 3 years.

That’s someone you do not get cute with and risk losing.

Draft Carter the second Seattle is on the clock and Carter is still on the board!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is the exact situation I come to hate with Seattle…the interest in trading down…if it works out and the guy they traded down for works out and they got more picks….splendid, however, when it doesn’t work out, man, it’s so costly.

Seattle has passed up on so many good players just to trade down and Seattle got bums instead.

Sometimes you need to grab that player that all teams grade is possibly the best player in the draft and wouldn’t hesitate to draft him but Seattle gets cute and wants more picks just to have more picks.

Sometimes you just gotta stop with trying to outsmart people, who, are also capable of drafting and developing good players, and just grab the franchise cornerstone that a lot of other teams would run to the podium to select.

But since you asked, I’ll draft Jalen Carter, if he’s available with Seattle’s pick. Assuming, Carter, passes Seattle’s medical examination, etc.

Carter looks to be the 3 Tech/Defensive Tackle/End stalwart Seattle has not had since Cortez Kennedy (possibly Michael Bennett/Brandon Mebane).

Don’t pass on Carter.

Carter is from a proven NFL school and has played on championship teams and very well considered possibly the best lineman to come out of Georgia in the last 3 years.

Draft Carter the second Seattle is on the clock and Carter is still on the board!

Seattle hasn't traded their first pick down since 2019, so I dunno about all that. The criticism feels a little outdated. Trading down generally is the better value play in the late first. JS has never traded out of the top half of the first round.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

Don’t pass on Carter.

May I have your permission to copy and paste this on the Bears Forum? There is a crowd of Bears fans over there who want to trade down from #2.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle hasn't traded their first pick down since 2019, so I dunno about all that. The criticism feels a little outdated. Trading down generally is the better value play in the late first. JS has never traded out of the top half of the first round.
Thanks. How would feel about a modest trade down from #2 to #6, which would give a good chance to still get Carter, Anderson, or Murphy plus a second round pi
I don’t think anything is outdated when it comes to football.

It still hurts to see Seattle lose the Super Bowl both XL and the Patriots one.

I don’t say my pain is “outdated.”

I think the criticism of trading down and hatred among 12s is very warranted.

LJ Collier was a pick traded down….

Need I say more??

I think there’s a good chance Carter is off the board by pick 5…

I wouldn’t trade down if Carter is on the board but if he’s off, I could go for Top 10 swap and more picks (maybe another 2nd round).

I think Carter is too talented to pass up.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don’t think anything is outdated when it comes to football.

It still hurts to see Seattle lose the Super Bowl both XL and the Patriots one.

I don’t say my pain is “outdated.”

I think the criticism of trading down and hatred among 12s is very warranted.

LJ Collier was a pick traded down….

Need I say more??

I think there’s a good chance Carter is off the board by pick 5…

I wouldn’t trade down if Carter is on the board but if he’s off, I could go for Top 10 swap and more picks (maybe another 2nd round).

I think Carter is too talented to pass up.

Using one single bad pick (which would've likely been bad regardless of how the pick was acquired) doesn't do much for me when it comes to criticizing trading down as a whole.

It's not totally warranted criticism. It's largely anecdotal. Trading down for appropriate value has shown to be a worthwhile venture over the years for pretty much everyone.

And, even then, its not something that has even been done since 2019. JS has never traded out of the top half of the first period. Why harp on it like it's something he's known to do, ya know?

Even if he does, though... history tends to favor that trade down. Good article here.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Using one single bad pick (which would've likely been bad regardless of how the pick was acquired) doesn't do much for me when it comes to criticizing trading down as a whole.

It's not totally warranted criticism. It's largely anecdotal. Trading down for appropriate value has shown to be a worthwhile venture over the years for pretty much everyone.

And, even then, its not something that has even been done since 2019. JS has never traded out of the top half of the first period. Why harp on it like it's something he's known to do, ya know?

Even if he does, though... history tends to favor that trade down. Good article here.

Good point! I can get behind this as well!

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Thanks. How would feel about a modest trade down from #2 to #6, which would give a good chance to still get Carter, Anderson, or Murphy plus a second round pick?
Actually going from pick #2 to #6 is worth 1000 points and is equal to 16th pick in 1st round

Not many teams have two 1st round picks in this years drafts that would qualify but trading for some picks in the 2024 draft in addition to 2023 could entice me

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Funny, we are having this exact discussion on the Bears forum. What to do if Bears are #2. The perfect scenario, as some of you note, would be to trade down just one or two positions and still get either Anderson or Carter plus an extra second round pick from some team looking for a QB.

But what do you do if that isn’t possible? That’s where we Bears fans split into warring camps. LOL. Theoretically, you could do a Trey Lance type of trade down out of the top-10 to get a boat load of picks, but you are trading quality for quantity.

Bears and Seahawks are both so weak in run defense and pass rush, that I think both teams should not trade down. After Texans draft their QB, I’d grab Will Anderson and break out the champagne.

We also have a raging discussion about holding injured players out of the Packers game Dec. 4 to get #2 draft position. The Seahawks games with the Rams will similarly have implications for whether the Lions can jump ahead of the Seahawks in the draft.
It’s not a done deal that Young will be the top pick in the draft. Carter could be the 1st pick and hope for Caleb Williams in 2024 who would be the top QB taken if he was in the 2023 draft

If I was the Bears GM I would be hoping a team wants to jump upBears have a lot of holes

What’s your confidence in the Bears using draft capital wisely?