Questions regarding financing...

sutz

Reaction score
Will the site be taking donations?
Will the methods be similar to before the recent change of ownership?
If we give enough can we avoid advertising? ;)

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
So what will happen is I will be putting advertising on this site. This is the same setup I do for all my forums.

Guests(non registered and logged out members)will see all ads(how many and were they are located is still up in the air).

Registered members(0-100 posts members) will see a banner ad on top and 2 sidebar ads.

Full Access members(101+ posts members) will see only the 2 sidebar ads.

Supporting members($35 donation for the year) will see zero ads.

This is what I have done for my forums for years and never really hear complaints about the setup I have.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Thanks, Shaggy. At least we know what we're dealing with. (y)

notyou

Reaction score
So what will happen is I will be putting advertising on this site. This is the same setup I do for all my forums.

Guests(non registered and logged out members)will see all ads(how many and were they are located is still up in the air).

Registered members(0-100 posts members) will see a banner ad on top and 2 sidebar ads.

Full Access members(101+ posts members) will see only the 2 sidebar ads.

Supporting members($35 donation for the year) will see zero ads.

This is what I have done for my forums for years and never really hear complaints about the setup I have.
So, that's why you don't want to get rid of the sidebar. You want it for showing ads.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
So, that's why you don't want to get rid of the sidebar. You want it for showing ads.

Not really. I never looked into creating an option to remove it as no one ever asked about removing it. You are honestly the first that has ever asked for it. 😁

notyou

Reaction score
Not really. I never looked into creating an option to remove it as no one ever asked about removing it. You are honestly the first that has ever asked for it. 😁
Then the no one has ever asked is false, since I've asked. It looks so much cleaner without the sidebar.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
Then the no one has ever asked is false, since I've asked. It looks so much cleaner without the sidebar.

Hmmm, that's what said above, you were the first. No has asked before you.

notyou

Reaction score
If by "side bar" you are talking about the space where recent posts are at...I LOVE that feature. Makes seeing what is going on for the whole site a whole lot easier and faster than having to scroll through every forum topic list top to bottom.
Yes, that's the sidebar. I've blocked it with an ad blocker. Now there's a large empty space on the right on my desktop.

acer1240

Reaction score
Yes, that's the sidebar. I've blocked it with an ad blocker. Now there's a large empty space on the right on my desktop.
You seemed to have solved your problem. Cough up 35 bucks and you can whitelist this site. Need me to loan you a bit?

notyou

Reaction score
You seemed to have solved your problem. Cough up 35 bucks and you can whitelist this site. Need me to loan you a bit?
It doesn't solve the problem. It only masks it.
If you want to pay the 35 bucks for me, go for it. The ads aren't the problem. The annoying sidebar is and it won't go away until Shaggy allows us to disable it. On my desktop the sidebar is still there, it's just blank. I would prefer the threads and topics go all the way across the screen and not stop 3/4 of the way due to the sidebar still being active. It just a much cleaner look to not have the sidebar.

notyou

Reaction score
Fair. I'll donate on your behalf anyway
That's up to you. Thanks for doing it but I don't need the financial help. All that does is remove the ads, correct? My ad blocker does that.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
That's up to you. Thanks for doing it but I don't need the financial help. All that does is remove the ads, correct? My ad blocker does that.
Uh, actually, it helps the owner defray the costs of the site.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Where or how do we send payments? I'm interested in contributing, plus the no-ad feature of course.

Latest posts