Please rate our drafts, round 1-3.

Jville

Reaction score
Anyone grumbling about the Walker pick at 41 due to "positional value" just pretend we drafted Lucas at 41 and Walker where Lucas picked. Instant "value" created.

Value is a bit overrated anyways. You take the impact player that can help establish the identity this team has been missing.

Yea, I think of the "positional value" concept as a product of herd mentality in a copy cat league. Breaking free of the herd to draft what fits a particular team is always going to draw disapproving reactions from the herd. I have no problem with it. It's more fun to strike out and led than to follow the herd.

Speaking of which, I gave the Seahawks draft five stars on my zero to five star scale.

Last edited:

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
....I've seen plenty...He's a fine player...just like so many other RB you can get throughout the draft.

I will say that RB, for a run first team like Seattle....is a bit more valuable than RB is to other teams that don't use them as much. I can understand the logic of the pick. I just think you could have gotten another hole filled in round 2 and still found a very good RB later on instead.
Didn’t your team draft its starting RB @ 32?

Zerovoltz

Reaction score
Didn’t your team draft its starting RB @ 32?
Yeah...it was bad pick.

Clyde Edwards Hellaire was not/is not special at all. HE wasn't on draft day either. Unless you are sure you are getting a Barry Sanders, game breaker, then you should just wait until round 3 tops. Walker isn't pick 41 better than than the backs taken later on. But there are other postions that will be. As someone else in this thread mentioned...other positons are harder to come by and backs are available later. That is positional value.

Anyhow...I like both OT you all drafted..if you get nothing else out of this and both of those hit...this will have been a very good draft for Seattle.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Could be. I do agree such a back is worth 41. Even 11 overall. I just don't think Walker is close to that kind of back.

Ok, I'll try to clarify.

Nobody I know thinks that RBs of Walker's quality are easily available on day three. In fact it's decidedly rare.

It is more relative in nature. There are RBs of Walker's quality in literally every single draft in the 35-75 range. Many times there are multiple backs of this exact quality. Let's review:

2021 (a bad RB draft)
Javonte Williams 35
Michael Carter 107
Rhamondre Stevenson 120
Chuba Hubbard 126
Kenneth Gainwell 150

D'Andre Swift 35
Jonathan Taylor 41
Cam Akers 52
JK Dobbins 55
AJ Dillon 62

Miles Sanders 53
Darrell Henderson 70
David Montgomery 73
Devin Singletary 74
Damien Harris 87
Alexander Mattison 107

I could go further. But it's basically the same song. Every single year.
So actually yeah, they grow on trees. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't 'worth' the pick. Each of these backs all have a lot of value. Most are mainstays in any fantasy league and are household names of sorts. Before someone goes on a 'fantasy isn't real football' tangent, I only mean so say that even casual fans know these guys are good even though they aren't familiar to them like their hometown team.

Walker is as good or better than half the names on this short list. That I do believe. But the fact that they are ridiculously common in every draft means that if you pass on a rarer talent for a generically available running back in that same range every year -- then that is bad drafting.

I'd say Penny flashed that. The last six weeks, Penny was the best player on the field for either team that was playing. He absolutely dominated.

I think the disconnect here, is that when one criticizes a running back selection, you extrapolate that to mean we also think that drafting in R5 or later is appropriate. It is not. Those are two different statements -- one of which was never forwarded. So I think this is maybe a you hearing what you want to hear problem at best. Or a bad faith embellishment at worst. I see all those late round flyers in the 'We addressed the need' realm. Addressed. Not solved.

Any pick R5 or later is basically a hope you strike gold. At any position. In almost all drafts, there are maybe 5 of the 40ish players taken in the 5th round that are legitimate starter players (legitimate to me means able and worth getting a second starter grade contract).

Running backs seem to fare better than most positions. But I would argue that has more to do with the absolute brutal attrition that the position exacts. There is more opportunity for a 3rd/4th string RB to elevate and shine because the players ahead of him are likelier to get injured or get rested.

I would agree. I just don't see that as likely. I agree -- Taylor was worth that pick. I stumped for him at 27. Cook is much better than I thought. I figured he was a generic 2nd round back. He's probably Walker's best case scenario. Marshawn was a special back. And worth his draft position easily.

I really hope you are right. I don't see that. But I'd gladly be wrong about it. I don't think it's amnesia though. Marshawn was a special back. He was also a first round worthy back. There really aren't many backs in the league that are so dominant that they tilt the field and imprint their style onto a franchise. Penny in his healthy form, is actually one of those backs now. Even if Walker doesn't light it up in a timeshare role, if he can extend Penny's ability to stay on the field that would be added value.

As I stated earlier, I see the Walker pick as a par pick. Given that I think there were special players that would have been true standouts for this team at rarer/harder to find positions -- it means he has to be much more than I give him credit for today. Let's hope that's true.
Fair points. I hope he’s great. Seattle is gonna need all the playmakers they can find this year

Rat

Reaction score
Could be. I do agree such a back is worth 41. Even 11 overall. I just don't think Walker is close to that kind of back.

Ok, I'll try to clarify.

Nobody I know thinks that RBs of Walker's quality are easily available on day three. In fact it's decidedly rare.

It is more relative in nature. There are RBs of Walker's quality in literally every single draft in the 35-75 range. Many times there are multiple backs of this exact quality. Let's review:

2021 (a bad RB draft)
Javonte Williams 35
Michael Carter 107
Rhamondre Stevenson 120
Chuba Hubbard 126
Kenneth Gainwell 150

D'Andre Swift 35
Jonathan Taylor 41
Cam Akers 52
JK Dobbins 55
AJ Dillon 62

Miles Sanders 53
Darrell Henderson 70
David Montgomery 73
Devin Singletary 74
Damien Harris 87
Alexander Mattison 107

I could go further. But it's basically the same song. Every single year.
So actually yeah, they grow on trees. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't 'worth' the pick. Each of these backs all have a lot of value. Most are mainstays in any fantasy league and are household names of sorts. Before someone goes on a 'fantasy isn't real football' tangent, I only mean so say that even casual fans know these guys are good even though they aren't familiar to them like their hometown team.

Walker is as good or better than half the names on this short list. That I do believe. But the fact that they are ridiculously common in every draft means that if you pass on a rarer talent for a generically available running back in that same range every year -- then that is bad drafting.

I'd say Penny flashed that. The last six weeks, Penny was the best player on the field for either team that was playing. He absolutely dominated.

I think the disconnect here, is that when one criticizes a running back selection, you extrapolate that to mean we also think that drafting in R5 or later is appropriate. It is not. Those are two different statements -- one of which was never forwarded. So I think this is maybe a you hearing what you want to hear problem at best. Or a bad faith embellishment at worst. I see all those late round flyers in the 'We addressed the need' realm. Addressed. Not solved.

Any pick R5 or later is basically a hope you strike gold. At any position. In almost all drafts, there are maybe 5 of the 40ish players taken in the 5th round that are legitimate starter players (legitimate to me means able and worth getting a second starter grade contract).

Running backs seem to fare better than most positions. But I would argue that has more to do with the absolute brutal attrition that the position exacts. There is more opportunity for a 3rd/4th string RB to elevate and shine because the players ahead of him are likelier to get injured or get rested.

I would agree. I just don't see that as likely. I agree -- Taylor was worth that pick. I stumped for him at 27. Cook is much better than I thought. I figured he was a generic 2nd round back. He's probably Walker's best case scenario. Marshawn was a special back. And worth his draft position easily.

I really hope you are right. I don't see that. But I'd gladly be wrong about it. I don't think it's amnesia though. Marshawn was a special back. He was also a first round worthy back. There really aren't many backs in the league that are so dominant that they tilt the field and imprint their style onto a franchise. Penny in his healthy form, is actually one of those backs now. Even if Walker doesn't light it up in a timeshare role, if he can extend Penny's ability to stay on the field that would be added value.

As I stated earlier, I see the Walker pick as a par pick. Given that I think there were special players that would have been true standouts for this team at rarer/harder to find positions -- it means he has to be much more than I give him credit for today. Let's hope that's true.
Damn, your writing is impressive. I think I would read an article about opera history or the Kardashians if you were the author.