Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

MB12

Reaction score
DJrmb":32ioqg5q said:
Didn't know much about Richardson but the more I am finding the more I like. This video from NFL.com really made a big impact for me:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playe...Paul-Richardson-I-ll-be-able-to-be-successful

1. He's up to 180 and plans to play at 190, and said he's gained speed from the added strength

2. He was actually rated ahead of guys like Marqise Lee and Devonte Adams by a few people so not as big a reach as some of you arm chair GM's are trying to make it out to be.

3. Damn this dude is crazy fast!

4. He seems to have a knack for making the catch in traffic, which is a good trait to have and something a lot of college WR's can never figure out in the NFL where there is less separation on every play and more contested catches.

:13: :13: :13:

Renohawk

Reaction score
Well, maybe just maybe picking a tall WR was a ploy all along. I know we would love one, but do we really have great success finding one i.e Chris Harper, Kris Durham. Seems our smaller WR do well Tate and Baldwin.

I know speed kills. If I were a D coordinators and seeing Harvin and Richardson on the field, I would crap myself.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":neb2m2of said:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this kid. I watched him play Cal in 2011 and became a huge fan. Dude is all sorts of electric. I was surprised he was so small, because he plays quite a bit bigger. Was really disappointed that he was so banged up for the UW game. Could barely walk and still lit us up for a deep TD. This guy was Colorado's entire offense. The whole defense knew where he was on every play and he still put up big numbers. I disagree that his tape seems rather ordinary. I watch that tape and see lightning quick. What are you hoping to see that he didn't do? Early in the season I was watching him and thinking "I don't know if people know him, but that guy is going to be a playmaker at the next level." I didn't think he had the cache to be taken ahead of some of the others, Robinson in particular, but it doesn't surprise me in the least bit that somebody saw something special in him.

Man, I'm glad someone with respectable FB knowledge sees what I'm seeing. His quickness and route running jumped off the screen at me. I am super excited about this kid. Not sure how the 'can't make the easy catches' made it into any of his evaluations. What are they talking about?...all three (3) of his drops out of 184?! I'm thinking that a few of the more knowledgeable guys in this forum may have budgeted their time when looking at his vids. There's one youtube one him in particular called "Best highlights," or something to that effect, that really shows some eye-popping catches and moves. There was another vid I watched that didn't include many of his better plays, which did look a bit 'ordinary.'

The only negative is that he's playing in a very physical, run first offense that demands blocking from our WR's. Hopefully he'll surprise us in that regard, because I don't want to see his snaps limited to 3rd and long. Percy blocks surprisingly well for his size, so maybe this guy will follow suit. I did see a couple of semi-beastly stiff arms in one of the vids. :th2thumbs:

salamander

Reaction score
A lot of people here were clamoring for Marqise Lee. Richardson is the same height but much faster. Lee also has injury concerns.
Richardson seems like a good kid from the video. His ability to stretch the field, get separation, and make a big play is something we missed once Sydney Rice went down last year. I like the pick.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Watching Richardson highlights and the one thing I noticed is he watches the ball go into his hands better than I've seen most receivers.

RiverDog

Reaction score
salamander":qx2ul62h said:
A lot of people here were clamoring for Marqise Lee. Richardson is the same height but much faster. Lee also has injury concerns.
Richardson seems like a good kid from the video. His ability to stretch the field, get separation, and make a big play is something we missed once Sydney Rice went down last year. I like the pick.

And Richardson doesn't?

salamander

Reaction score
RiverDog":2ds2armt said:
salamander":2ds2armt said:

And Richardson doesn't?

Sorry, I meant it as "Like Richardson, Lee also has injury concerns". The point being Lee's injury concerns didn't stop people here from wanting him.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
salamander":37w8rovk said:
RiverDog":37w8rovk said:
salamander":37w8rovk said:

And Richardson doesn't?

Sorry, I meant it as "Like Richardson, Lee also has injury concerns". The point being Lee's injury concerns didn't stop people here from wanting him.

Don't waste your time arguing with him. He would have hated any pick.

A

Anonymous

The one-handed catch at about 1:18 of Sailor's first vid is sick.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RiverDog":1n4qkcq7 said:
I don't like this pick, but that's nothing new. Except for PC/JS's first round picks in 2010, I haven't liked a single first out of the gate selection of ours since. James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin, Christine Michael, and now Paul Richardson.

He's not Tate's replacement. Tate was a very underrated blocker. I can't see this guy blocking on much larger defensive backs and linebackers. He had to bulk up just to get to 180 lbs. dripping wet. In a run first offense, that relegates him to a 3rd down receiver in a 3 or 4 wide out package, perhaps a punt or KO returner. He won't do anything else on special teams. Plus he's damaged goods and he has trouble making the easy catches. Oh, joy! Another Koren Robinson. He's not a top 50 player, and please, don't tell me that we got in just ahead of some other team that would have taken him. That's a very poor way of justifying a pick.

Lord, I can just imagine the Rams secondary licking their chops with this guy. Remember how they rang up Tate in our last regular season game? This guy is going to get killed.

richard-sherman-.gif

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1t5byxd1 said:
Everyone keeps saying Desean Jackson, but from the highlights and route running, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison.

One of our scouts made this comparison as well, though it was more about how Harrison came in the league "undersized" and was able to bulk up and be successful.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
400WattHPSHawk":2f8rpiiy said:
Seahawk Sailor":2f8rpiiy said:
Spot on, Salish. What gets me is looking at other teams drafting receivers and seeing them do well from day one. "Well so-and-so was an immediate impact and our guy got stuck on the PS." A lot of that may be the receiver's route running. Some may be the quarterback. With this combination, we have the best of both. It's entirely possible he's a stud from day one, and we have to make the tough decision whether to cut Rice or Lockette instead. It's a crap shoot, but I'll take this crap shoot over a lot of others out there right now.

We don't cut the Rocket. To valuable on special teams... and he can play.

You may have missed my point. If what we see in Richardson is the real deal, he could turn out to be one of our top receivers. And if that happens, the #4/#5/#6 guys start being talked about as potential cuts or trades, no matter how good they are. Sure, special teams contributions from Lockette have been top notch, but there are always backup guys looking to excel there. And an upgrade is an upgrade.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1yxgfu6v said:
The one-handed catch at about 1:18 of Sailor's first vid is sick.
MeagerSaltyAnole.gif

:shock: yeah thats a sick catch, hope to see some of this next year

MrNorseman

Reaction score
I absolutely love this pick. I had him right behind Matthews among WRs available going into round 2. Happy with either.

aawolf

Reaction score
Does anyone think we would have drafted differently if Curtis K, (ALA OT) or Jordan Matthew (VAN WR) had not come off the board a few picks earlier?

I saw the Seattle War room right after this pick and nobody looked very excited. They looked defeated actually.

I'm not saying he won't be a great player, but I have a feeling he wasn't the guy we wanted when we made the trade out of 32.

sutz

Reaction score
aawolf":12kff5b9 said:
Does anyone think we would have drafted differently if Curtis K, (ALA OT) or Jordan Matthew (VAN WR) had not come off the board a few picks earlier?

I saw the Seattle War room right after this pick and nobody looked very excited. They looked defeated actually.

I'm not saying he won't be a great player, but I have a feeling he wasn't the guy we wanted when we made the trade out of 32.
IDK. I think fans sometimes get carried away with psych evals of coaches/GMs. ;)

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
aawolf":b0lx2ka2 said:
I have a feeling he wasn't the guy we wanted when we made the trade out of 32.

JS said BPR was the name on the card if they didn't get a trade. They were happy to trade down and still get him. Rumor has it Easley was the choice at 32 but Pats took him at 29, so P-rich was the next man up.