PFF says Seahawks one of 5 underrated teams

bileever

Reaction score
PFF in an article today says that the Seahawks are one of 5 overlooked teams in the NFL. Because the article may be behind a paywall, I will paste the relevant portion of the article below:

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

At +7500, the Seahawks currently have the 11th-longest odds of winning the Super Bowl. That’s despite having one of the league's best wide receiver trios and a quarterback who has earned a top-12 passing grade in each of the past two seasons.

Their potential success in 2024 likely hinges on how quickly their defensive players can take to new head coach Mike Macdonald’s scheme. The former Ravens defensive coordinator wowed the league over the past two seasons and gave the Seahawks' NFC West rivals, the San Francisco 49ers, nightmares on Christmas Day last season. However, it took him a little bit of time to get going in Baltimore, with the Ravens ranking fifth-worst in success rate allowed (46.3%) over his first nine weeks as a defensive coordinator back in 2022.

If he can avoid that slow start with the Seahawks defense this season, this is a team that could shock everyone to contend for the divisional crown in 2024.

And the link to the entire article: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-5-overlooked-teams-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-season-browns-seahawks

keasley45

Reaction score
PFF in an article today says that the Seahawks are one of 5 overlooked teams in the NFL. Because the article may be behind a paywall, I will paste the relevant portion of the article below:

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

At +7500, the Seahawks currently have the 11th-longest odds of winning the Super Bowl. That’s despite having one of the league's best wide receiver trios and a quarterback who has earned a top-12 passing grade in each of the past two seasons.

No way. Right? Thats Geno he's talking about. Top 12? No way he's better than 18th...

Sarcasm off.

I agree 100% with the article. Just need our ILB's to shine.

Jac

Reaction score
I'm really excited for training camp to start. I think we have "better than they've shown" talent all over this defense that is just begging to be better coached and schemed.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
No way. Right? Thats Geno he's talking about. Top 12? No way he's better than 18th...

Sarcasm off.

Yep, I've been saying this to the Geno haters/doubters for a while now, he's not average, he's above average good. With the right system and players he might even be better than that, he might be great.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The money line for the Hawks winning the division is +$800.

And to win the NFC Championship, it's +$3000.

So, if one were to place three $100 bets on the Hawks this year... and if they were to win the division, represent the NFC in the SB, and then hoist the Lombardi, that $300 bet would net the optimistic Hawks a whopping $11,300.

Hmmm.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
If everything goes right, the Seahawks could win the division. Riveting analysis.
The article is saying that if the MM defense gets assimilated sooner than later in the season they could win the division.

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
One interesting (and worrisome) thing the article points out is that the first nine weeks that Macdonald was defensive coordinator in Baltimore in 2022, the team was the fifth worst, according to some metrics. Hopefully, he's learned some things about implementing his scheme and the Seahawks won't suffer through a similar learning curve.

Ozzy

Reaction score

Sarcasm off.

Yeah I'm not sure anyone outside of PFF would have Geno top 12 and when you look at the list of QB's and every metric, not just PFF's I think 18 is reasonable. heck 12-15 is reasonable too. I just don'[t see how 18th with so many young talented QB's is that far off.

Here's to hoping he can be more consistent, break 20 passing touchdowns and take off in Grubbs offense. I think it's entirely possible he plays in the 10-12 range, and I will be rooting that he does.

I agree with most of what PFF said. The roster isn't bad and if the defense can pick up the new system quickly it will speed the process up.

toffee

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure anyone outside of PFF would have Geno top 12 and when you look at the list of QB's and every metric, not just PFF's I think 18 is reasonable. heck 12-15 is reasonable too. I just don'[t see how 18th with so many young talented QB's is that far off.

Here's to hoping he can be more consistent, break 20 passing touchdowns and take off in Grubbs offense. I think it's entirely possible he plays in the 10-12 range, and I will be rooting that he does.

I agree with most of what PFF said. The roster isn't bad and if the defense can pick up the new system quickly it will speed the process up.
PFF haven't factored in our superior coaching.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I love this idea though I think the fair assessment for a team with a rookie head coach and an OC who has never coached in the NFL is really 'wait and see'. We could be immensely improved or vastly worse than we were last year, and I don't know if we'll even be able to get a handle on how our team is until like, week 5 or so.

That said, I feel like most of the moves we have made this off-season have been pretty darn good with the only caveat I have being our ILB situation (both losing Brooks for what turned out to not be a huge offer and now our two starters both having injury concerns).

Well, I mean, of the 32 QBs with the most snaps over the last two seasons, Geno is #10 in Success Rate, #7 in Passer Rating, #11 in QBR, and #10 in ANY/A.

I mean, saying top 12 seems far more justifiable than 18 given that. Saying he's a bottom half of the league starter is based more on feels than metrics. (Though I think a fair amount of 'feels' is fair when assessing QBs in their mid-30s... you never know when that cliff is going to hit and Geno did miss time for injury last year.)

Yeah, there are a lot of new QBs coming into the league, but how many rookie QBs actually crack the top half of the league in terms of advanced metrics in their first year? Just looking at QBR, for example, only 3 rookies have been 16th or better in the last 5 years.

Our biggest concern is going to be Grubb's system, not the QB running it. Fact is, he's not tested these concepts at the NFL level and his head coach has no experience running an NFL offense, either. We can only guess at how it's going to go. (And if he's going to be able to fix the problems that got Shane Waldron handed his walking papers along with Pete Carroll, namely poor O-Line play and the inability to scheme reliable 3-4 yard gains in the rushing game.)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love this idea though I think the fair assessment for a team with a rookie head coach and an OC who has never coached in the NFL is really 'wait and see'. We could be immensely improved or vastly worse than we were last year, and I don't know if we'll even be able to get a handle on how our team is until like, week 5 or so.

That said, I feel like most of the moves we have made this off-season have been pretty darn good with the only caveat I have being our ILB situation (both losing Brooks for what turned out to not be a huge offer and now our two starters both having injury concerns).

Well, I mean, of the 32 QBs with the most snaps over the last two seasons, Geno is #10 in Success Rate, #7 in Passer Rating, #11 in QBR, and #10 in ANY/A.

I mean, saying top 12 seems far more justifiable than 18 given that. Saying he's a bottom half of the league starter is based more on feels than metrics. (Though I think a fair amount of 'feels' is fair when assessing QBs in their mid-30s... you never know when that cliff is going to hit and Geno did miss time for injury last year.)

Yeah, there are a lot of new QBs coming into the league, but how many rookie QBs actually crack the top half of the league in terms of advanced metrics in their first year? Just looking at QBR, for example, only 3 rookies have been 16th or better in the last 5 years.

Our biggest concern is going to be Grubb's system, not the QB running it. Fact is, he's not tested these concepts at the NFL level and his head coach has no experience running an NFL offense, either. We can only guess at how it's going to go. (And if he's going to be able to fix the problems that got Shane Waldron handed his walking papers along with Pete Carroll, namely poor O-Line play and the inability to scheme reliable 3-4 yard gains in the rushing game.)
Good post! I think anywhere from 12-18 is fair and depending on which metrics you use you can make a solid argument for anywhere in that range.

hawks85

Reaction score
I've told people this a few months ago. People are just looking at what Macdonald did last year, you gotta go deeper. I've been a fan of Macdonald since Michigan and what he did there. People are underestimating Seattle because of the entire new coaching staff. What MOST people don't understand is Macdonald hand picked every single defensive player added this offseason. All those guys played in some sort of Macdonald's defense at some point in their careers. This defense will be top 3 or best overall when the smoke settles in December. This team will win 12-14 games this year with a deep run into the playoffs and WE WILL SWEEP THE DIVISON, phuck the 9ers and rams.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I've told people this a few months ago. People are just looking at what Macdonald did last year, you gotta go deeper. I've been a fan of Macdonald since Michigan and what he did there. People are underestimating Seattle because of the entire new coaching staff. What MOST people don't understand is Macdonald hand picked every single defensive player added this offseason. All those guys played in some sort of Macdonald's defense at some point in their careers. This defense will be top 3 or best overall when the smoke settles in December. This team will win 12-14 games this year with a deep run into the playoffs and WE WILL SWEEP THE DIVISON, phuck the 9ers and rams.
I'm not sure how accurate your prediction will end up being, but I like your optimism!

toffee

Reaction score

me and soulfishhawk are of the opinion that our Young Macdonald is da BOMB. With exceptional coaching, anything is possible.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So, the Hawks could be better than mediocre this season, but likely not good enough to go far in the playoffs depending on the D and if Geno suddenly transforms into Mahomes. Hope springs eternal. Go Hawks.