Pete caused the Adams fiasco from the start

Jac

Reaction score
Probably not depends on how important a safety is in the scheme. A good question is if Kyle Hamilton would become available for two 1st rd picks would MM be pounding the table for him? My guess is probably not
Nope. Hamilton is in the third year of a four-year contract. It'd be terrible roster-building strategy to transform two first round talents/contracts for one (soon to be) high-priced safety. I sincerely hope that Macdonald values first round draft picks more than JS/PC did.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Probably not depends on how important a safety is in the scheme.

I've thought about this a lot Hawk and I believe ours and Pete's expectations may have been too lofty. While i'll never agree with the price they paid for the trade, I do understand the thought behind it. Pete needed some pass rush, a lumber layer, and a field general safety combination. Thats a heck of a combination. If that was the player Adams was, the trade COULD be justified, but how many players were ever that? There's only so many Ronnie Lotts in the world.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I've thought about this a lot Hawk and I believe ours and Pete's expectations may have been too lofty. While i'll never agree with the price they paid for the trade, I do understand the thought behind it. Pete needed some pass rush, a lumber layer, and a field general safety combination. Thats a heck of a combination. If that was the player Adams was, the trade COULD be justified, but how many players were ever that? There's only so many Kenny Easley's in the world.
Fixed it for you.

BASF

Reaction score
The shut up and dribble people hated the trade from the first whispers due to his attitude. They will never let it go. His injuries for them is just further proof they were right, even though he could not control what happened.

jeremiah

Reaction score
I don't blame Pete for wanting Adams. The Jets version of him was an absolute difference-maker, and I expressed wanting to acquire him when he was rumored to be on the block. I remember fans floating absurd trade ideas like a third rounder and some mid player, and I had to tell them "no, it would cost considerably more than that", but even I was in a state of shock when I saw the actual compensation. I at least thought he'd be good, even if he did cost a haul. Nope, absolute trash from the second he stepped on the field, and I was wrong when I suggested that his character issues were overblown.

We were straight bamboozled. I hope someday we hear who we were bidding against. I suspect ourselves. The Jets became to us what we became to the Broncos.
The ONLY trade worth that cost, would be a QB, WR, or Edge rusher. Those are difference makers. Kam was a one off in a time where they had a full team on Defense. He made a difference because the others playing with him were borderline HOF. The entire backend of the D rocked.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The shut up and dribble people hated the trade from the first whispers due to his attitude. They will never let it go. His injuries for them is just further proof they were right, even though he could not control what happened.

Did you like the trade when it happened BASF? Two 1st rounders for a safety? I mean, it would have to be in Ronnie Lott/Ed Reed territory (which he clearly wasn't) before I would even remotely consider it and would still probably pass.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Maybe but a lot of people thought it was a bad trade from a roster construction standpoint and at that cost. I'd argue even if he stayed healthy it would've still been a bad trade.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Exactly! An edge rusher,,,,,,what the team truly needed when draft picks got squandered on a safety.
What this team has ALWAYS been lacking. A hands on the ground, or on his knees rusher who can get double digit sacks for say 5-7 years.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Exactly! An edge rusher,,,,,,what the team truly needed when draft picks got squandered on a safety.
That brings back memories of the 2003 NFL draft i so wanted the Hawks to draft Terrell Suggs from ASU but the Ravens beat us to him( I don’t know if they were even interested) but that would have solved pass rush issues for a while

Rat

Reaction score
That brings back memories of the 2003 NFL draft i so wanted the Hawks to draft Terrell Suggs from ASU but the Ravens beat us to him( I don’t know if they were even interested) but that would have solved pass rush issues for a while
I desperately wanted Johnathan Sullivan in that draft. I was so pissed when the Saints took him a few spots ahead of us.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Brainless acquisition from a roster construction standpoint... I doubt we were actually bidding against anyone for Jamal's services, except from Jets sources trying to prop up his value. I can understand Pete and John's thinking, that there were typically only 15ish actual first-round talents in any given draft, so they often traded OUT of the first round to not be on the hook for guaranteed salary and a 5th year contract, instead of paying full price for a player at #25 who'd not be guaranteed to be any better than a player drafted at #35.

I really think the impetus for the trade was Pete, and his desire to have another Kam Chancellor type player. Kam was also built a little stouter, like the play where Kam pancaked a Cardinals offensive lineman.

I just view Adams as a mutual JS/PC failure, and whether we call it 50-50 both, or 70-30 Pete, it was a huge mistake in retrospect. I'm calling it 80-20 Pete, enthusiastically pursuing a shiny object, and John being hamstrung in negotiations by Pete's enthusiasm for a "one missing piece away" player, or so Pete thought. I just hope John has learned the important lessons from the trade.

From what I'm seeing so far of the new JS/MM regime, I like what I'm seeing. Releasing an overpaid Dissly, for example. Loved Uncle Will as a player, but he was massively overpaid relative to how the rest of the league valued him.

Jac

Reaction score
Brainless acquisition from a roster construction standpoint... I doubt we were actually bidding against anyone for Jamal's services, except from Jets sources trying to prop up his value. I can understand Pete and John's thinking, that there were typically only 15ish actual first-round talents in any given draft, so they often traded OUT of the first round to not be on the hook for guaranteed salary and a 5th year contract, instead of paying full price for a player at #25 who'd not be guaranteed to be any better than a player drafted at #35.

I really think the impetus for the trade was Pete, and his desire to have another Kam Chancellor type player. Kam was also built a little stouter, like the play where Kam pancaked a Cardinals offensive lineman.

I just view Adams as a mutual JS/PC failure, and whether we call it 50-50 both, or 70-30 Pete, it was a huge mistake in retrospect. I'm calling it 80-20 Pete, enthusiastically pursuing a shiny object, and John being hamstrung in negotiations by Pete's enthusiasm for a "one missing piece away" player, or so Pete thought. I just hope John has learned the important lessons from the trade.

From what I'm seeing so far of the new JS/MM regime, I like what I'm seeing. Releasing an overpaid Dissly, for example. Loved Uncle Will as a player, but he was massively overpaid relative to how the rest of the league valued him.
They definitely both deserve blame. PC's "just one player away" to fix the increasingly terrible defense. JS's inability to get fair trade value (San Francisco probably would have gotten Adams for a third rounder under the same circumstances). Both of them collectively putting the team in a terrible box regarding the contract extension. If they were really concerned about not wanting to make a pick that year, they could have traded out for a future first rounder AND additional draft capital. But of course, we were always in a one-year window and one player away. If nothing else, this disaster and the following year's disastrous draft seemed to spark a philosophy overhaul (with Williams hopefully being the final remnant of that "one player away" approach).

Scout

Reaction score
Let me throw this out here as well...was Khalil Mack worth it with all that as given up when that was the blockbuster trade of the time and he was an edge rusher? The Bears were a .500 club while Mack was there for the most part.

At this point when you surrender draft picks for players you have to off set the cap costs somewhere else or else you are hurting yourself in two ways. Not being able to have cheaper players under contract and a chance to find talent that is not available in free agency. And in free agency you are usually over paying and through trades you are surrendering draft picks and cap space.

So the only position worthy trading for in big draft sweep stakes I would say QB's but as we saw with the R. Wilson trade it takes more than a QB to build a TEAM. That Broncos team needed way more talent than a R. Wilson.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It is kinda weird that people (fans and FOs alike) have mostly come around to thinking you should avoid early day FA signings because they'll be way overpriced. However, we won't realize that it's basically the same thing, and often much worse, to be trading a ton for a guy and then having their agent force the overpay to not lose the guy a ton of picks were given up for.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It is kinda weird that people (fans and FOs alike) have mostly come around to thinking you should avoid early day FA signings because they'll be way overpriced. However, we won't realize that it's basically the same thing, and often much worse, to be trading a ton for a guy and then having their agent force the overpay to not lose the guy a ton of picks were given up for.
Seahawks have made some good FA signings, Cliff Avril for example, and I liked the Uchenna signing, still do. But yeah, it's a crapshoot that has failed the Hawks as often as it's helped. I'm liking most of the depth signings for near-vet minimum this regime is doing so far.

BigMeach

Reaction score
The thing that drives me the most mad thinking about this trade is the situation at the time between Adams and the Jets. Adams made it clear he wanted out and they wanted to get rid of him. Why did it cost us 2 firsts for a guy soon to be out of contract who didn't play a premium position and wanted out anyway?

Jac

Reaction score
The thing that drives me the most mad thinking about this trade is the situation at the time between Adams and the Jets. Adams made it clear he wanted out and they wanted to get rid of him. Why did it cost us 2 firsts for a guy soon to be out of contract who didn't play a premium position and wanted out anyway?
That's the biggest concern of all. You want a guy that you think will make a difference...fine, go get him. But why has this FO continually overpaid in trades and sh#t away first round picks? (let alone TWO like this trade) I feel like teams now come to us with a higher starting price than they bring to other teams.