Pete Carroll: Wasn't 'football people' who decided his fate

Fade

Reaction score
QUOTE="Fade, post: 2898017, member: 14149"]

I fully agree.

Jody has bigger balls than most dudes on here.

Most would've been totally fine with mediocrity and letting the Seahawks sink further into darkness. Not Jody. She whipped it out and showed Pete who's boss.

The future is bright!

[/QUOTE]

QFT from the props to Jody thread.

And I agree with RJ above as well. If a football person, or Paul Allen for that matter had been in charge, he would've been fired 2-4 years ago. Paul Allen's illness and death dragged this thing out longer than intended.

Now Pete gets to be Jody's poolboy, or hangout in a shoebox next to JS' desk, but I kid.

He wants to still coach, he has made that abundantly clear, this wasn't mutual, and he was fired in a PC way.

I hope he gets the opportunity, and contrary to popular belief, I will root for him wherever he goes.

It wasn't working here for a long time, his defensive scheme and philosophy was figured out a longtime ago. If it wasn't for consistent Pro-Bowl QB play over the last 10 years his record would be horrible for those looking to cite that.

He only has 1 playoff win in the last 7 years. And that was a narrow victory against an emergency, overthe hill, 3rd string QB.

But more importantly, its about the process, not W-L record. The defense was continually going backwards no matter how many assets were thrown at it, hitching his wagon to crony's like Hurtt, who couldn't coach himself out a wet paperbag! I mean, if it smelled like butter he might've actually ate it. But, how do you think it was going to end, is the point?

No one was buying what Pete was selling anymore. He did a poor job of pitching why he should remain as the headcoach publicly through the media the final month of the season.

Seriously, go back and listen to these interviews, and statements on his shows. He incriminated himself. Jody teabagged Pete, finally!

We're in good hands.. The future is bright!

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
"We're in good hands.. The future is bright!" (Fade)

I would add one caveat to this proclamation: Maybe.

knownone

Reaction score
I’ll agree to disagree. We are a .500 team, look to be regressing in key areas the team invested a ton of money into, continues to have the same problem for years now, seem to be the third best team in your own division and have one playoff win in 7 years which is very average and he’s going on 73 and was only going to coach another year or two. Moving on now and trying to kickstart the next cycle isn’t absurd.
Let me rephrase this: firing a coach who has had one losing season in 12 years for performance reasons is absurd. If ownership believes an upgrade is out there, more power to them, but the idea that Pete deserved to be fired is absurd. Deserved is the keyword in that statement.

There was nothing average about the Seahawks over the past seven seasons.

renofox

Reaction score
PC was focused on the minutiae of process and how to finally fix it 'this time'. He tried to wow them with his brilliance that only he could understand.

Jody was focused on the years of negative results. She didn't hear anything that gave her confidence in future positive results.

She's the boss. PC brought the wrong presentation. It happens.

re SB49:

"...talk about the call on the goal line at the Super Bowl. You still don't know what happened, you know, and stuff like that you're just never gonna know, and that's how it goes, you know, [be]cause you're protecting the people you care for, and you protect everything, your integrity, everything." - Pete Carroll

That was weird. Why would he say something like that when he knew it would re-ignite speculation? Is he pissed that he is still taking blame?

I just can't think of a good explanation for him going there. Nothing positive can come of it. I could speculate, but can't think of one positive explanation. Instead of going to the dark side, I'll just stfu.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Pete sounded either drunk or hungover. Not judging, I know I would be in his situation.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That was weird. Why would he say something like that when he knew it would re-ignite speculation? Is he pissed that he is still taking blame?

I just can't think of a good explanation for him going there. Nothing positive can come of it. I could speculate, but can't think of one positive explanation. Instead of going to the dark side, I'll just stfu.
I think it was just the most illustrative example he could've used. It's been a decade and people still run wild on that one, but he's right. There's a lot we don't and probably never will know about that play.

Fade

Reaction score
Let me rephrase this: firing a coach who has had one losing season in 12 years for performance reasons is absurd. If ownership believes an upgrade is out there, more power to them, but the idea that Pete deserved to be fired is absurd. Deserved is the keyword in that statement.

There was nothing average about the Seahawks over the past seven seasons.
The team is mediocre to bad for going on a decade. Pretenders.

NFC Teams that have made the NFCCG since 2015:

Carolina, Arizona, Green Bay 3x, Atlanta, Philadelphia 2x, Minnesota, Rams 2x, Saints, Buccs, and 49ers 3x.

Teams that have 0 appearances: Hawks, Lions, Bears, NYG, WAS, DAL.

No one in their right mind would consider this good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's easy to get high off of the possibility of change and whatnot, but we need to be cautious here about blindly getting behind heavy-handed ownership. Jody is the opposite of the do-nothing @Fade tried to paint her as for 5 years. She's quite active, in fact, and this has always been fairly obvious. Not just by her Seattle presence, her visibility after the Russ trade, and her presence in the war room, but....

*gestures widely at the Blazers*

Vulcan is not infallible or above reproach as an organization. I value the lack of meddlesome ownership about as much as the separation of church and state, and I'm gonna get real antsy if their presence gets larger after jettisoning Pete.

Let JS hire the guy, and let them work it out from there. Vulcan hands need to stay clear from that point.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I thought he was pretty clear and never intended it as a knock on Jody or anyone else. He’s simply saying that dealing with ownership of any football team can be challenging because they’re coming from two different sides of it — football vs. business. And when he’s trying to explain the football side to get them to see his point and convince them, he can only explain to a certain level of detail to people who haven’t played/coached for years. In this case, he wasn’t able to make Jody fully see his point, at which stage they agreed to disagree and came to a mutual resolution that Pete would step away from coaching.

I’m not sure why folks need to see “gotcha” moments in so many things these days.

knownone

Reaction score
The team is mediocre to bad for going on a decade. Pretenders.

NFC Teams that have made the NFCCG since 2015:

Carolina, Arizona, Green Bay 3x, Atlanta, Philadelphia 2x, Minnesota, Rams 2x, Saints, Buccs, and 49ers 3x.

Teams that have 0 appearances: Hawks, Lions, Bears, NYG, WAS, DAL.

No one in their right mind would consider this good.
Being in the top five in wins is mediocre to bad... Okay. Thanks for the insight.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Being in the top five in wins is mediocre to bad... Okay. Thanks for the insight.
But you could argue playoff success trumps regular season wins no? Fade makes a decent point I’d take a couple of trips to the NFCCG game over 9 wins and zero playoff wins for the year. I think both are incredibly hard so not discounting what Pete did but I think it’s reasonable to want playoff success and a lot of NFC have more than we’ve had the past few years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
But you could argue playoff success trumps regular season wins no? Fade makes a decent point I’d take a couple of trips to the NFCCG game over 9 wins and zero playoff wins for the year. I think both are incredibly hard so not discounting what Pete did but I think it’s reasonable to want playoff success and a lot of NFC have more than we’ve had the past few years.
Fade absolutely does not make a decent point whatsoever by saying the team has been "mediocre to bad" for a decade.

It is an incorrect statement on almost every possible level.

knownone

Reaction score
No. Fade doesn't make a decent point; being in the top 5 in regular season wins is not mediocre-to-bad. Making the NFCCG is not a reasonable metric for evaluation.

Here's a good example of why playoff wins are misleading when evaluating coaching, John Harbaugh has 1 playoff win since 2015. Is John Harbaugh one of the best coaches in the league?

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Really interesting. I work for a large corporation. No way in my mind they make this decision without John Schneider’s blessing. ESP since they are keeping him on board, and giving him likely more control than he shared with Pete. But Pete didn’t throw shade his way, and has agreed for now to stay on as an advisor. Which if he agreed to actually stay on why throw any shade at all? Interesting.

Seahawker

Reaction score
No. Fade doesn't make a decent point; being in the top 5 in regular season wins is not mediocre-to-bad. Making the NFCCG is not a reasonable metric for evaluation.

Here's a good example of why playoff wins are misleading when evaluating coaching, John Harbaugh has 1 playoff win since 2015. Is John Harbaugh one of the best coaches in the league?
Coach ranks

knownone

Reaction score
Nope. Just different desires.

Some are happy with the Seahawks being able to compete.

Others want the Seahawks to contend.

We don't all have to define success the same way.
What does that even mean? Winning games and making the playoffs is contending. The Seahawks have done that for most of the last decade.

The fundamental dichotomy is that some Seahawks fans are happy with contending, and others aren't happy unless the team is perpetually among the elite.