Personal Draft grades

Your Grade with closing of draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm liking the looks of our secondary with Witherspoon on board. He makes our pass rush better because I see potential for a big increase in "coverage sacks".
Hopefully the new guys up front & "new scheme"? can contain the run game to be at least passable because I think we're gonna be better on the back end. Has the potential to be a LOB 2.0, coverage wise at least.

I gave an A BTW.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I liked that the staff addressed our needs, even though I wish they could have done so in a different order. I think they did a great job getting the best guys they could get given the pick order, but I am not convinced about the quality of players we got starting at 108. I sure hope they prove me wrong, Some of them usually do. I give the class a pre-season grade of C. But the thing that matters most to me is that I can see we are a better team than we were before the draft and adding this class to what we got in our previous class is definitely worth an A. I am also grateful the staff knew enough about next years class to refrain from jumping on the QB wagon this year.
Overall, Happy Appy!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don’t know if this draft is better than last but it sure is a lot sexier.

Adding Spoon to the 2ndary is a recipe to make it elite and his coverage ability will give Woolen more opps to ball hawk and his run defense will free up Diggs and especially Adams to play LOS.

Adding JSN to the WR corps is a recipe to make it top of the league elite and should help free up Lockett, Metcalf, and the TEs a lot more.

I like Hall’s overall game much more than I liked Mafes. Hall’s elite intangibles is a win over Mafes elite athleticism in my eyes.

Getting both Charb and McIntosh into the mix compliments Walker’s weaknesses and Walker’s strengths compliments their weaknesses and makes the Seahawks so much more dynamic. I think potential wise and availability wise they are going to be upgrades over Penny and Homer. And definitely McIntosh was a more encouraging name and had better overall game for the 7th round than Melton and Young did.

Both IOL are likely future starters, they won’t be forced as much to start right away like Cross and Lucas. But both could compete right away for the opportunity.

Morris like Tyreke Smith are tweeners that offer Swiss Army knife type utiliy as rotational players. Both had flashes to their tape where they’ve could have been drafted higher if they had better combines/pro-days numbers and/or more polish and/or bonafide position.

Cam Young possibly might be the 2nd best DT drafted in the PC/JS era behind Reed. If he had any type of pass rush potential he would have been taken a lot higher like Jordan Hill or Naz Jones because his run defense potential is that good. I don’t like him more than Smith, Benton and Pickens but liked him a lot more than Dexter, Ika, and Martin. And he cost much more less as a fourth round pick than Mazi Smith did as a 1st round pick.

Reed is an exciting safety prospect that brings both thunder and lightning to his game play. He might not ever be as good as Neal was last year but it’s a solid pick. We’ve been heartbroken by guys like Thompson, Hill, and Blair in the past. Reed looks much more rangier and more violent than Thompson and Hill who were bigger safeties that just lacked urgency and aggression to make it. Reed also looks stronger and much more stout than Blair whose slight frame didn’t allow his collegiate game to translate the NFL. So time will tell, however a 6th round pick is a lot easier to eat as a failed pick than a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick. I think in the very least you have a Chris Margagos type backup but a big time player on special teams. If Coby Bryant was a floor pick, I have to think of Reed as a ceiling pick.

Overall, Seahawks took 10 players over the 9 last year and still were able to fleece Denver in a trade yet again to add a 2024 3rd. Pretty great haul.

Last edited:

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
We killed it, for the second year in a row.

We didn't do something stupid to gamble on a QB that almost certainly won't pan out. We didn't gamble on Carter somehow doing what Lacy couldn't do, put down the fork, and get into the conditioning room. We didn't try to get cute to fill our need along the line, in a draft that was weak in inside line guys, on both sides.

We went out and got real Seahawks. Players who love the game. Love to play. Have a just a little nasty in them. Motivated. Leaders. Character. Same as last year. "We got some dogs."

We got the best corner in the draft
We got the best WR in the draft.
We got the best RB in the draft.
We got the best Center in the draft.
We got 1 of the top 2 guards in the draft.
We got the best 3rd down back in the draft.
Seattle didn’t get Bijan Robinson

vonstout

Reaction score
You lost me a 6th best option.

This draft was stacked. Overall, top to bottom, all things considered, this is an excellent draft class. Even the last RB, damn, just very clear decisions. Love it.
It wasn’t a strong draft. Several teams supposedly said there were less than 20 players with first round grades. I think we got two of them. There wasn’t a consensus on rankings from 20-80 or even more. I think they should have gone with Schmitz at #52 And a RB at#154 (Chase Brown?).

bileever

Reaction score
While I acknowledge that you can never know about a draft at this point, I feel very good about the haul that we got. I would give it a B+/A- overall. Some of how your draft turns out depends on things beyond your control, like where other players get picked. But given what happened, I feel like Pete and John made very good choices and we got some steals.

My disappointment over not getting a top interior defensive lineman (Bresee, Smith, Kancey . . sob!) was alleviated by getting nose tackle Cameron Young in the 4th round. After having time to process it, I think it was a steal. And he's really more the prototypical run stuffer that you want over someone like Kancey.

All the other choices seemed like good value to me. I know there is a lot of mixed feelings about taking Derrick Hall at #37, and I get that. I guess your feelings about that depend on whether you trust Pete and John and the scouting staff. But just about everyone in the first three rounds seem like they have a very good chance of becoming immediate contributors, and will elevate this team.

In the later rounds, we addressed the interior offensive line with Oluwatimi and Bradford. And there's a good chance that Kenny McIntosh at #237 might end up being quite the steal.

But Witherspoon, Charbonnet and JSN . . . wow!!!

vonstout

Reaction score
What I do like here is the process. CB, WR and EDGE as our first three picks is following the meta for success. So is sitting on IDL/IOL until later. Cam Young at #123 and Ole Oluwatimi at #151 are good prospects at insanely better value than if we had reached for Mazi, JMS or Torrence at #20 like many fan mocks were hoping for.
They could have taken JMS or Torrence at #52. If the would have done that and taken a RB at #83 or #108, I would have loved that. I’m a fan of drafting in the trenches early, but unfortunately, we haven’t been good at evaluating linemen late in the first round for a long time

GemCity

Reaction score
A- Love the haul. My only knock is that they didn't address the interior of both lines earlier. You can understand why though. The draft just didn't fall that way. I get the feeling that some of their targets went off the board just before they picked and they weren't gonna reach for need. Perhaps JS could have been a little more aggressive and traded up, but this guy always wants to get MORE picks, not less. They started it all by getting the very best cornerback and the very best wide receiver in the entire draft! WR3 is something I have been pounding the table about for years. We finally got our guy! LOVE the Charbonnet pick. I just roll my eyes at anyone knocking it. This is the definition of a Pete Carroll back.
Cut…paste.

My exact thoughts.

GemCity

Reaction score
99% of the people panning the draft and giving lower grades all say the same thing, they didn't pick who I wanted at the position I wanted. Because I knew what the Hawks needed better than the coaches and scouts!

The Hawks didn't follow my mock draft waaaaa they get a C.

No they get an A+ specifically because they didn't follow yours or the pundits mock drafts.
It’s opinion bro! But, I totally agree with your grade!!

KamBam31

Reaction score
I really like, that the Seahawks front office took the best player available according to their draft board, instead of reaching for need.

nwHawk

Reaction score
It wasn’t a strong draft. Several teams supposedly said there were less than 20 players with first round grades. I think we got two of them. There wasn’t a consensus on rankings from 20-80 or even more. I think they should have gone with Schmitz at #52 And a RB at#154 (Chase Brown?).
I’m fine with the selections. OluOlu is a good #2 z for Seattle.