Per ESPN/Schefter, Hawks trade for OT Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1jqhhlgc said:
Is this thread about how Duane Brown blocks or H&R Block?

haha...Duane Brown hasn't donned a Seahawk uniform on the field yet and he's already caused a turmoil on .NET.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chapow":pyxfdnlt said:
As much as I tried (and really, I didn't try), I just can't bring myself to give one single crap about a draft pick that is a year and a half away. This front office is probably going to make hundreds of moves between now and the 2019 draft. For all we know, we could have multiple 2019 2nd round picks by the time that draft rolls around. Being concerned about that now, as a fan, in the midst of the 2017 regular season, just does not compute for me. We're sitting at 5-2 and almost certainly just got better with the addition of a top 10 LT. This team absolutely can win a championship this season.

I agree with this...furthermore, draft picks aren't a sure thing. Duane Brown is pretty much a sure thing.

Chapow

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":uywaqnv4 said:
Is this thread about how Duane Brown blocks or H&R Block?

Ha :D

People really should start a new thread if they want to argue about Russell Wilson's taxes. It's a weird and boring thread hijack.

netskier

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3hnq26pf said:
My thoughts on the value of what the Seahawks gave up:

If you win, you didn't lose.

1-2 weeks ago, I feel much better adding Brown after the Seahawks added Freeney.

10 year vet + top 10 LT consistently throughout his career + vocal leader = great mentor.

Freeney is also a great mentor.

But to me it all comes around ten fold.

Freeney is going to help develop the pass-rush guys by sharing his skill set and his experience. Our young DEs are going to be better in the long-run.

Brown is not only going to help solidify the line, think of how much the young Olinemen can learn and develop behind his lead. It's a legit positive domino effect of influence.

A month from now, the Oline and the pass-rush is going to be smarter, wiser, and more advanced if the younger guys on both sides put in the time to learn and pick brains and emulate.

However, the biggest kicker imo guys are going to improve through practice too. Iron sharpens iron.

Freeney's influence isn't going to effect just the pass-rush group but he's going to help the Olinemen that spar against him improve.

Likewise with Brown against the DEs he'll face.

All of a sudden because of two moves, depth and performance looks to gradually improve, develop, and galvanize in two key areas.

And if it does look out... no one in the league wants Seattle to have a functional O-Line. No one wants to face that Defense, if the Seahawks can run the ball consistently and effectively with success.

Pandion, I am reading this long thread today, and see that I just posted today essentially what you posted here. So, in summary, Me too.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Chapow is on point here. A 2019 pick is of no concern for a team that will look quite different by then anyway. Plus, you have JS trading down all the time so he can pick up an extra 2nd easily, and does it with regularity.
Free Agency, high Comp picks after losing guys etc. So much can be done to get that 2nd back.
This trade is about having a top tier LT for a couple seasons, and likely for 3 or 4 with an extension getting done. And we got a 5th for Marsh, so that part is a wash. AND, we were able to have a team take the hot head Lane off our hands. Bonus.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets look at it this way, Brown proven Tackle for a 5th that may make the team or not and a second we would use on a O line project that we are terrible at picking. I think it's a win for us, Lane was burning his bridge and we have Shead and Griffin as well as Coleman. We would have had to cut someone with Shead coming back soon.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2scw1san said:
Russell Wilson will avoid paying $29,210 to the state of Arizona, and $133,688 to the State of California as the result of this deal. He loses the deduction on his federal tax, so he will come out, roughly, $98,390 ahead by making this deal

Does this also account for the fact that Russell is married? Turbo Tax did state the payout is higher for signing bonuses, although as you point out because signing bonuses only apply to his home state, and he's visiting two states in Florida and Texas in the coming weeks with no income tax, he'd have only been responsible for Arizona and California anyway. This time he won't

Are you able to expound on where you got the specific $98,390 figure from, when taking the overall complexities of his taxes into account?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Anthony!":1zkazwgv said:
Scorpion05":1zkazwgv said:
I was referring to the IRS and their specific bonus guidelines, so it is Federal

Bro, I am in no way here to say Russell Wilson is somehow suffering. You can put a bunch of financial advisors/accountants in a room and they'll have disagreements. The only thing I disagree with you on is that "everyone" would do this. I disagree, the history of the league has shown the minority of top players do this. There are pros and cons

Russell has an elite team around him. Whatever money he loses this year he'll make back through investments, the growth of his TraceMe app, etc. Overall, I just find this whole back and forth silly. We should be happy about this trade and that's the bottom line. And we should be able to discuss basic contract stuff instead of simply trying to win an argument. I don't pretend to be a financial expert, or a contract expert. But from even the basic information I've read there are pros and cons to what he did. Which is why not everyone does it. That's it

Side Note: And quite frankly, his contract was already friendly in the first place. Even when he got his contract, it wasn't Derek Carr/Matthew Stafford type ground breaking. So he has already shown he's willing to think of the team first. I hope we can all at least agree with that

For me, the whole thing is laughable and is yet another reason I stopped posting here for a while. I remember a few years ago Brady did this, back when Wilson was doing his first contract after being a rookie. Everyone said look Brady does whats best for the team etc, etc. Yet the reality was he was still getting his, only paying taxes differently. Now that it is Wilson we have a small group making lite of it like it is no big deal. I bet if it was Sherman they would be like see he is such a team guy etc. The reality is it is a big deal, he did not have to do it, and yes there is going to be some extra tax issues despite what some here are trying to say, the one rule stated here even says "can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments." I just got off the phone with my Tax guy who is also a Hawks fan, and he said there are other taxes and penalties that are involved, In the end this will cost Wilson about 18% more in taxes in the end. People seem to think it is as simple as a tax bracket but it's not, different types of income have different rules, and different guidelines.

All that said, in the end, it really does not matter the reality is he did it, and it is something that a lot of people don't do, so instead of making lite of it or downplaying it, we should be embracing that he did this. As I said it if were almost anyone's on this team you guys would be all over it, when it was Brady you were all over it, Now that its Wilson you make lite of it, it's pathetic and shows whats wrong with this forum. You have a small group of people and their many aliases who attack, minimize and strike down anything positive about Wilson. How much better it would it be if we could all celebrate good things by any player on this team without having a small group ruin it. The question now is, did I actually get through to anyone or waste my time. I think I know I just hope I am wrong

For me, the only thing that matters here is the big picture. Because Russell is our franchise QB, this won't matter but...for other players who would do this, they'd be more expendable for future seasons because they take a bigger cap hit. That's why most players don't necessarily do it, but it's also hard for players to pass up what is essentially guaranteed money

If anything, my argument would be that Russell deserved praise BEFORE all of this. Russell's base salary before his new contract was $1.5 million if I'm not mistaken. Were he money hungry, he could delayed his signing of the contract for a year, which means they would have had to Franchise tag him. Which ultimately, would have drastically changed negotiations and forced the Seahawks to come out of pocket tens of millions over the years. This is according to ESPN. Instead, Russell did his contract early, renegotiated from the $1.5 million base salary, and has one of the more friendly QB contracts in the league. He saved the Seahawks A LOT of money. And as a mobile Qb who has put his body at risk for this team, having an even heavier hit on the cap for future years is a risk to him too. Moves like this also takes a lot of trust between QB and the FO, which is what is missing from this discussion.

Anthony!

Reaction score
scrummymustard":2ji8nalw said:
Anthony!":2ji8nalw said:
Scorpion05":2ji8nalw said:
I was referring to the IRS and their specific bonus guidelines, so it is Federal

Bro, I am in no way here to say Russell Wilson is somehow suffering. You can put a bunch of financial advisors/accountants in a room and they'll have disagreements. The only thing I disagree with you on is that "everyone" would do this. I disagree, the history of the league has shown the minority of top players do this. There are pros and cons

Russell has an elite team around him. Whatever money he loses this year he'll make back through investments, the growth of his TraceMe app, etc. Overall, I just find this whole back and forth silly. We should be happy about this trade and that's the bottom line. And we should be able to discuss basic contract stuff instead of simply trying to win an argument. I don't pretend to be a financial expert, or a contract expert. But from even the basic information I've read there are pros and cons to what he did. Which is why not everyone does it. That's it

Side Note: And quite frankly, his contract was already friendly in the first place. Even when he got his contract, it wasn't Derek Carr/Matthew Stafford type ground breaking. So he has already shown he's willing to think of the team first. I hope we can all at least agree with that

For me, the whole thing is laughable and is yet another reason I stopped posting here for a while. I remember a few years ago Brady did this, back when Wilson was doing his first contract after being a rookie. Everyone said look Brady does whats best for the team etc, etc. Yet the reality was he was still getting his, only paying taxes differently. Now that it is Wilson we have a small group making lite of it like it is no big deal. I bet if it was Sherman they would be like see he is such a team guy etc. The reality is it is a big deal, he did not have to do it, and yes there is going to be some extra tax issues despite what some here are trying to say, the one rule stated here even says "can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments." I just got off the phone with my Tax guy who is also a Hawks fan, and he said there are other taxes and penalties that are involved, In the end this will cost Wilson about 18% more in taxes in the end. People seem to think it is as simple as a tax bracket but it's not, different types of income have different rules, and different guidelines.

All that said, in the end, it really does not matter the reality is he did it, and it is something that a lot of people don't do, so instead of making lite of it or downplaying it, we should be embracing that he did this. As I said it if were almost anyone's on this team you guys would be all over it, when it was Brady you were all over it, Now that its Wilson you make lite of it, it's pathetic and shows whats wrong with this forum. You have a small group of people and their many aliases who attack, minimize and strike down anything positive about Wilson. How much better it would it be if we could all celebrate good things by any player on this team without having a small group ruin it. The question now is, did I actually get through to anyone or waste my time. I think I know I just hope I am wrong

I'm sorry Anthony, but you just don't really understand the tax code. This is NOT a different type of income. It is STILL w-2 income (as all NFL athletes are w-2 from their respective teams). The tax withholding amount or percentage when the check is written may be different (each employer does tax withholding differently) but the federal tax owed does NOT change come tax time. When he gets his w-2 from the seahawks next spring, it will not separate this payment from any others he received this year. It will say $12,600,000.

I wasn't putting this as a slight to Russell, and I could care less what people were saying about Brady. This is a good move for ANY player in terms of their NFL contracts because it gives the player more leverage down the line and gives them money right now. It is harder for teams to cut players with a higher dead cap hit. I've never heard of a player turning down the option of restructuring, ever. I mean a restructuring like this where you turn salary into bonus, not a pay cut. Those are different.

I will let my CPA know that some person on a blog says he and his 20 yers of experince are wrong no worries

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Lane failed his physical.............Lose another pick next, not a huge fan of this trade now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925498199099486209[/tweet]

Seafan

Reaction score
Without RW the team has no chance at playoffs. With Brown and RW the team has a chance. If you look at it that way.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2zdght2t said:
Lane failed his physical.............Lose another pick next, not a huge fan of this trade now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925498199099486209[/tweet]

Doesn't change my opinion of the trade. It's still a good one for the Seahawks. They just now have to release someone to fit Brown on the roster that's all. Or they can move Joeckel or someone else to IR.

IrishNW

Reaction score
thats gotta be awkward for lane

I hope Brown can live up to the hype because we just gave up alot of draft capital for a 32 year old player.

mikeak

Reaction score
So Lane is still on the roster, we still have his salary and he is even more pissed off

We have no 2nd round and no 3rd round in 2018 If I recall what we traded away properly

If we win the Superbowl this year - totally worth it

kobebryant

Reaction score
So the 2018 draft now looks like:

2. Sheldon Richardson
3. Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.