Overall effect of the 12th Man

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Everybody knows about how crowd noise can disrupt offences at the Clink. It gives us the best home field advantage in the entire NFL

This is about the effect it has on players not only wanting to stay here, but wanting to sign here. Reading the tweets of the Seahawks players last night, they're absolutely in love with this fanbase. Fans showing up to the airport at 2am this morning is incredible. Fans showing up to the airport after a LOSS at Indy is even more incredible. The players and staff appreciate this kind of stuff beyond belief.

You hear it when guys like Cliff Avril & Mike Bennett sign here. One of the first things they talk about is wanting to be part of this. Obviously we have to have a good team as well, but there's no doubt the 12th man is a big part of their decision making in coming here.

Another effect is for players staying here, which is gonna be the story of the next few offseasons. We have too many good players that we won't be able to afford them all. The key is gonna be guys taking some form of hometown discounts in order to keep the team intact. With such an amazing fanbase behind them and environment provided by Paul Allen & PC, that is gonna be the difference of whether we keep or lose some of these guys

Keep up the great work !!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've had this discussion with friends, what goes into signing or keeping players?

1. Money. Don't kid yourself, every athlete wants to get paid as much money as possible. So that is first and foremost in their mind when deciding on which team to sign with. Sure they might sign for a little less, or bigger amount for less years to play with a contender. But the almighty dollar still rules 75% of their decision.

2. Location. After the money is sorted out, most players want to play somewhere that'll make them and their family happy. It's why Mike Wallace signs in Miami instead of a craphole like Cleveland or Cincinnati. Location also has to do with state income tax. If the money's equal, it's why players sign in cities that don't have a state income tax, which equals millions more in their pocket. Why'd Lebron sign in Miami over NY or LA? Sure he wants to win, but he also wants to keep 30% more of his salary and endorsements over the next four years.

3. Winning. Players are independent contractors, but that doesn't mean they don't have an ego when it comes to rings. This is why the M's lose out on 98% of the free agents they go after. Should I go play for the Angels and make 200 million and have a chance every year to win a World Series? Or should I sign with Seattle for 210 million and lose 90 games a year for the next five years? - Josh Hamilton.

4. Quality of Life/Good working Environment. This kinda goes hand in hand with Location. But IMO it's quality of life is it's own separate animal, and is kinda what you're talking about. The intangibles like;
- awesome home stadium
- great fans/community
- good teammates
- really like coaches/GM

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I'd add to 4 above the VMAC and the number of coaches and trainers. We've got fantastic practice and training facilities, which really helps attract the quality free agents everyone covets...

drdiags

Reaction score
Sure, the fans are great when you are winning. Start losing or be a player from Oregon tweeting about his alma-mater beating the local college team favorite and see how ugly a large number of those same fans can be. The players appreciate the support but they would be silly to think it is endless support and without conditions. Fan support isn't helping MRob right now.

It is great to see a strong bond between the fans and players but if I am a player, I am going to have to let my agent use his head to keep me level-headed.

Curry, Lo Jack, Deion Branch and others have seen that love turn on them. They all probably thought at one time that the fans had their backs. Just to offer a counter-point. Not disagreeing with the idea. I see the same two-way feelings of admiration.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post Sgt Largent. Funny, but Cowherd went into that same thing once, about how athletes majorly factor in state income tax.

Other than the weather being dreary during the winter, Seattle is an incredible place, and it's one of the best atmospheres to raise kids in.

As for the 12th man, the guys on NFL network were saying in 8 years, they've never seen an away crowd that large and noisy, and the aftercrowd that surrounded the after game analysis was also insane (also a big annoying, people wouldn't shut up so we could hear Wilson and the other guys talk).

I also thought it was awesome that the guys from the NFL Network gave Wilson a grab bag of presents, one of which was a box of Skittles for Marshawn. Wilson promptly threw some into the crowd. It seems like the guys truly loved having Wilson for the interview; they were genuinly excited to see him.