Optical Tracking System for 2024

RedAlice

Reaction score

NFL to test optical tracking system for line-to-gain rulings in preseason with eyes toward 2024 implementation​

A successful trial run could yield a big change in the NFL in 2024​

The chain may no longer keep us together.

The NFL is moving forward this preseason with an optical tracking system for line-to-gain rulings, sources tell CBS Sports. The system had been tried out in a few NFL stadiums this past season, and it will get a full preseason trial this summer.

If the trial goes well and everyone's on board, the tracking system will be implemented full time for the 2024 NFL regular season, sources say.

In March, the NFL's competition committee quietly approved its use across all teams in the preseason. But before the league fully implements it for the full season, it wants to make sure the system works well enough to be trusted.

All game footballs are microchipped and have been for years. But this technology doesn't employ the chip and instead relies entirely on optical tracking. The system, which was used at MetLife Stadium and Hard Rock Stadium last year, would need to be installed across all 30 NFL stadiums as well as any international stadium where NFL games are played.

Seems like a good idea.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to see this. I've been clammoring for the NFL to adopt this kind of technology for years. Take the guess work and human error part out of it. The ball either made it or it didn't. No judgment calls.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Glad to see this. I've been clammoring for the NFL to adopt this kind of technology for years. Take the guess work and human error part out of it. The ball either made it or it didn't. No judgment calls.
Yup, it's ridiculous to rely on officials who can't even see the ball half the time and mistake a white helmet for the ball the other half.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, it's ridiculous to rely on officials who can't even see the ball half the time and mistake a white helmet for the ball the other half.

The What Have Been game. For better or worse, I always wondered what would have happened had the Seahawks won that game.

sutz

Reaction score
Oh, c'mon guys. Who doesn't love seeing a ref come in from 20 yds away to spot the ball, and then measure it to the thickness of a credit card? :LOL:

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I'm curious how this will work.

Scenario 1 -- Running back falling forward: his knee touches, but his body continues forward with momentum.
Scenario 2 -- Tush Push: Ball is in a scrum of bodies, no line of sight to the ball.
Scenario 3 -- Running back stood up and then driven back (forward progress).

At what point does the system decide he's down and spot the ball?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'm curious how this will work.

Scenario 1 -- Running back falling forward: his knee touches, but his body continues forward with momentum.
Scenario 2 -- Tush Push: Ball is in a scrum of bodies, no line of sight to the ball.
Scenario 3 -- Running back stood up and then driven back (forward progress).

At what point does the system decide he's down and spot the ball?
It's like computer based voting!

Just trust what the computer says..... it'll be alright.... :)

JPatera76

Reaction score
Or when the ref who was no where near the play runs up when it should be a 4th down after a 3rd down signals 1st down after gifting an additional yard or two (bad spot/no gain/loss of yard/s)

chris98251

Reaction score
So this will work like calls up to the booth, the helmet speakers, the audio for the Referees to call plays and the sidelines communications for "visiting" teams, what could go wrong ????

OP
OP
RedAlice

RedAlice

Reaction score
It says in the article that the balls have microchips. They just dont seem to be doing anything with it.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't like it for the same reason I don't like replay. I preferred the old days when sports were messy and imperfect. A good/bad call could change the complexion of the game and you rolled with it.

Instant replay didn't get rid of controversy, it got rid of the idea that officiating will be imperfect. And now we all suffer with some games having more time spent in "under review" than in live action.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've wondered why they haven't utilized technology more than they have. You could easily replace first down markers with some sort of laser sighting device. Same with a QB being past the LOS when he lets loose of the ball. Putting a chip inside a football might be a little difficult.

I don't ever want to see officiating completely automated to the point where it's all done by robots, but they should be able to have more tools at their disposal.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't like it for the same reason I don't like replay. I preferred the old days when sports were messy and imperfect. A good/bad call could change the complexion of the game and you rolled with it.

Instant replay didn't get rid of controversy, it got rid of the idea that officiating will be imperfect. And now we all suffer with some games having more time spent in "under review" than in live action.
I could live with the occasional bad call, as long as there didn't seem to be any outward bias. Bad calls go both ways, oh well. Bad calls all going in one direction, different story.

OP
OP
RedAlice

RedAlice

Reaction score
I could live with the occasional bad call, as long as there didn't seem to be any outward bias. Bad calls go both ways, oh well. Bad calls all going in one direction, different story.

Yep. This is where it gets frustrating.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've wondered why they haven't utilized technology more than they have. You could easily replace first down markers with some sort of laser sighting device. Same with a QB being past the LOS when he lets loose of the ball. Putting a chip inside a football might be a little difficult.

I don't ever want to see officiating completely automated to the point where it's all done by robots, but they should be able to have more tools at their disposal.

My thoughts exactly! A multi multi multi billion-dollar sport should utilize the technology that is available to make the game as accurate as possible.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It says in the article that the balls have microchips. They just dont seem to be doing anything with it.

I heard they have had them since 10 years ago but the problem is they can't seem to get them as accurate as they need. See RiverDog's post above...They need to change the way they are approaching the technology.

sutz

Reaction score
I heard they have had them since 10 years ago but the problem is they can't seem to get them as accurate as they need. See RiverDog's post above...They need to change the way they are approaching the technology.
Well, I don't believe GPS is accurate enough to spot a football on a field quite yet. You need to have the local field gridded out electronically somehow, and in a way that is not line of sight. Spotting the ball in the bottom of the pile has to be better than the current system, not worse. Then, of course, you have to transmit that info to the refs on the field when they position the ball after the play.

I worked in high tech for a lot of years and it seems a bit tricky to me. I've been out of it for a while, though. Seems it should be doable.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Well, I don't believe GPS is accurate enough to spot a football on a field quite yet. You need to have the local field gridded out electronically somehow, and in a way that is not line of sight. Spotting the ball in the bottom of the pile has to be better than the current system, not worse. Then, of course, you have to transmit that info to the refs on the field when they position the ball after the play.

I worked in high tech for a lot of years and it seems a bit tricky to me. I've been out of it for a while, though. Seems it should be doable.
Agree about GPS.

But even so, there's off the shelf technology that they should be able to utilize. Having a laser on one sideline and a reflector at the other to determine if a ball is at the first down marker or to define the LOS should be relatively simple. It would also speed up the game, take a little pressure off the refs.

They might be able to utilize AI to spot a ball at the bottom of a pile or determine if the ball crossed the plane. Take a mosaic of pictures from different angles and deduce where it must have been. They sort of do that now on reviews, but AI should be able to get the right call faster.