Odell Beckham...best catch ever?

253hawk

Reaction score
Beckham's was basically in an exhibition game as the Giants were already eliminated from playoff contention, glorified by the fact that it was SNF. And they still lost the game.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":193kpe5w said:
Hey look, yet another catch better than Beckham's; and it was on a 3rd & 10 in a playoff game in below-zero temperature, to boot! It's not even debatable that this is a considerably better catch than OBJ's.

[youtube]g7Kpj3XpmFQ[/youtube]

One of the biggest homer statements I've ever heard.

Beckham's was better. The physics on his catch were just insane. Baldwin's catch was nice and a clutch play - you could actually argue that his play turned the game around offensively for Seattle. But none of that changes physics, and OBJ's was more difficult.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BUAHAHAHAHAHA. Good one, Ramfan. I'm pretty well convinced that the word "physics" to you just means whatever the hell you want it to, but hey, I found it entertaining.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Ramfan128":11sccz91 said:
RolandDeschain":11sccz91 said:
Hey look, yet another catch better than Beckham's; and it was on a 3rd & 10 in a playoff game in below-zero temperature, to boot! It's not even debatable that this is a considerably better catch than OBJ's.

One of the biggest homer statements I've ever heard.

Beckham's was better. The physics on his catch were just insane. Baldwin's catch was nice and a clutch play - you could actually argue that his play turned the game around offensively for Seattle. But none of that changes physics, and OBJ's was more difficult.

What part of "not even debatable" do you not understand?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":380x4z98 said:
BUAHAHAHAHAHA. Good one, Ramfan. I'm pretty well convinced that the word "physics" to you just means whatever the hell you want it to, but hey, I found it entertaining.

No...referring to the nature and properties of matter (the ball).

I guess to just break my thought down as simply as possible, it's all about gravity. Where the ball was in relation to when it first touched his hand. Physically, I can make the same exact catch that Baldwin did versus a comparable (to me) level of competition. If anyone has played football for fun and has good hand/eye coordination, haven't we all made a catch similar to what Baldwin did? Mind you, I'm not saying I would have caught that pass vs the Vikings in 0 degree weather.

Physically though, I could not make the same catch that Beckham did.

It's that simple.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Ramfan128":j5yeyw4c said:
RolandDeschain":j5yeyw4c said:

I guess to just break my thought down as simply as possible, it's all about gravity. Where the ball was in relation to when it first touched his hand. Physically, I can make the same exact catch that Baldwin did versus a comparable (to me) level of competition. If anyone has played football for fun and has good hand/eye coordination, haven't we all made a catch similar to what Baldwin did? Mind you, I'm not saying I would have caught that pass vs the Vikings in 0 degree weather.

It's that simple.

:snack: Lol
You are doing some serious straw grabbing.

PS Did you know ODB PRACTICES 1 handed catches in the endzone?

DB its much more impressive, the height that he had to jump up to catch the ball, the fact he did it and left himself defenseless. Its -3 degrees. Oh and Seattle won.

rideaducati

Reaction score
JPatera76":30gm58jw said:
Ramfan128":30gm58jw said:
RolandDeschain":30gm58jw said:

It's that simple.

:snack: Lol
You are doing some serious straw grabbing.

Some people just don't get it...if you have to explain the joke, it wasn't a good joke.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
All things being equal, Beckham's catch was better. But being the playoffs in one of the coldest games in League history? On 3rd & 10 to keep the drive alive? I'd give Doug the edge.

Martavis Bryant's TD catch the night before might have been better than both.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1txwmn1t said:

I disagree but it was one amazing grab.

ODB had a guy blanketed on him and caught it falling backwards into the end zone, Doug had a pretty clean look at it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":o4uk3h9z said:

Sorry, but you are a homer. Doug's catch was awesome, but not better than Beckham. First off, Beckham had a guy blanketed all over him. Beckham actually drew defensive PI on that play, that's how much contact there was. Doug while covered, didn't have a guy all over him. Second of all, Baldwin caught a 10 yard pass, Beckham caught a 50 yard bomb. Big difference there. Much more velocity on the ball Beckham caught. And lastly, Baldwin caught the ball with one hand and then brought it into his second hand. Beckham went one-handed the entire time.

253hawk

Reaction score
The ball was pinned against the back of his leg and still rolling upward as his left foot was coming off the ground. Shouldn't have been a TD.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
253hawk":37pumjel said:
The ball was pinned against the back of his leg and still rolling upward as his left foot was coming off the ground. Shouldn't have been a TD.

This is where I disagree with some of the minutiae of the rule. The ball moved a little bit sure but he maintained possession. Physically one of the best catches I've seen in a football game. And the play was reviewed and stood as called on the field, did it not?

253hawk

Reaction score
I don't recall if it 'stood' or was 'confirmed', but the ball was moving before he secured it. The problem wasn't maintaining possession -- which he did -- it was establishing it in the first place.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1zmpggx6 said:
RolandDeschain":1zmpggx6 said:

Sorry, but you are a homer. Doug's catch was awesome, but not better than Beckham. First off, Beckham had a guy blanketed all over him. Beckham actually drew defensive PI on that play, that's how much contact there was. Doug while covered, didn't have a guy all over him. Second of all, Baldwin caught a 10 yard pass, Beckham caught a 50 yard bomb. Big difference there. Much more velocity on the ball Beckham caught. And lastly, Baldwin caught the ball with one hand and then brought it into his second hand. Beckham went one-handed the entire time.

Correction. Beckham caught it with 3 fingers.

rideaducati

Reaction score
JSeahawks":11owgtu4 said:
Dougs catch was really good. Beckhams was unbelievable.

Beckham caught his for the Giants while Doug caught his for the Seahawks...that makes Doug's catch much better to me.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1zxzq86i said:
ODB had a guy blanketed on him and caught it falling backwards into the end zone, Doug had a pretty clean look at it.
Sooooooo, the defender falling down and being a full yard away from ODB when the ball came in is being blanketed? Can you find a dictionary to back your definition of that word? I'd love to see it.

Hawk-Lock":1zxzq86i said:
Hey, another person I have to teach English to. Did you mean to say "wet Swiss cheese blanket?"

Also, do you have ANY idea how much more time you have to gauge the incoming ball on a pass that deep, and how much slower it's coming than the pass Doug caught? Obviously not.

I love how people think that the defender being a yard away from OBJ is "blanket coverage"; nothing like adjusting reality to fit one's perceptions. Falling back with a deep bomb coming in at an angle similar to your fall is worlds apart from Doug's catch. Any person here, if reenacting both of them, would catch the pass coming at OBJ way more often than the one coming at Doug. Add in half-numb fingers to a much faster ball and the ball being a comparative frigid ice break and it's not even close, but in the opposite of how you're thinking.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Im starting to think none of these catches are nearly as amazing as they look. Too many players are doing it.. the newest gloves have more to do with it than anything Im guessing.