Nwosu speaks out. Eyebrow raising read.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Wow that writer sure is trying hard to take what Nwosu said completely out of context...hes happy with the new coaches and direction..that's all I got out of it.
Really? From the article:
"Maybe Nwosu was not intentionally trying to say Carroll and his coaching staff were not committed to being successful and were not the right people to help Seattle be extremely successful, but he pointed out that the new coaches were which seems to infer the reverse for the old coaching staff."

Seems he is very forward that the take is purely speculation on his part. The speculation the writer does is also not absurd at all. It is a perfectly reasonable opinion, and similar to what has been expressed by many on this forum over the last 7 years on numerous occasions watching the way players perform.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Wow that writer sure is trying hard to take what Nwosu said completely out of context...hes happy with the new coaches and direction..that's all I got out of it.
But did it raise your eyebrows? (Figuratively)

That was my only claim.

Personally I don’t see it as a “reach” in the slightest, and I’m a PC fan.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Right. Be careful as to any conclusions you might make regarding the previous coaching staff after reading this article. The writer seems to think articles with subjective derivations are permissible.

...he also seemed to trash Carroll and the other former coaches.
...but he pointed out that the new coaches were which seems to infer the reverse for the old coaching staff.

RiverDog

Reaction score
IMO it's not even an eyebrow raiser. If there were some other similar statement or action that might tend to support the premise, then yes, I could see it as an indictment of the previous regime. But in the absence of any other information might indicate unhappiness with the previous regime, his statement is a big nothingburger. Not everyone can craft their words to say the right things so as to avoid a misinterpretation.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Right. Be careful as to any conclusions you might make regarding the previous coaching staff after reading this article. The writer seems to think articles with subjective derivations are permissible.

...he also seemed to trash Carroll and the other former coaches.
...but he pointed out that the new coaches were which seems to infer the reverse for the old coaching staff.
Agreed. The writer is using some pretty inflammatory terms like "trash" that are completely inappropriate given the rather benign statement. He's over dramatizing.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Remember when journalists wanted to write good stories instead of hot takes for clicks?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Note: This is NOT a political opinion or commentary, but it's the best example of the topic that I can think of.

There used to be a set of unwritten rules in journalism. Photographers were instructed not to take pictures of FDR in a wheelchair, or report on who was seen leaving through the backdoor of the Kennedy White House, and they all complied. That all changed in the mid to late 60's when journalists became "investigative reporters." Everyone strove to be the next Mike Wallace or Peter Arnett.

The industry expanded as more outlets like CNN, Fox News, talk radio, and later the internet, podcasts, et al hit the market. There's more competition, and it's a lot more cutthroat, a huge incentive for a reporter to get an exclusive story so as to get his name in the byline. Clicks and reads leads to more advertising and more revenue.

More than ever, there's a lot of truth to the old adage "believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear." This article is a good example of a reporter trying to create a story.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
It's an article on 12th Man Rising. It's just looking for clicks. A player saying positive things about a new coach does not mean he's trashing the previous one. Lee Vowell should probably go back to his old job.

Jville

Reaction score
Lee Vowell writes opinions triggered by reports from others. Third hand reactions. I wouldn't label him a reporter. More like a fan who publishes opinion. The 12th man rising site is kind of harmless to those who think for themselves ..... but of questionable value. Original sources are far more informative and accurate.

Words and context matter. They help distinguish original sources and accurate journalists from those who tag along.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, just take a look at the title of the article, Nwosu "psyched" to be done with Pete Carroll, and how it influenced an otherwise objective poster as the title of thread reads: "Nwosu Speaks Out," as if Nwosu had gone off on some kind of a rant. I got no such impression when reading the actual quote.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The article definitely takes liberties and a lot of them. Even if you believe the worst there’s really no reason to believe he didn’t like being under Carroll at all. At worst maybe he wasn’t happy with Clint’s schemes and is excited for a new approach, but let’s be honest, who among us isn’t glad to see us moving on from
Clint’s defense? I could say the same as Nwosu and I wasn’t pushing to fire Pete. I just wanted to see new schemes on both sides of the ball. When I read that Pete didn’t want to make big changes this offseason then I agreed with the decision to move on. Still doesn’t mean I didn’t like having him here or didn’t like his coaching.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
The article definitely takes liberties and a lot of them. Even if you believe the worst there’s really no reason to believe he didn’t like being under Carroll at all. At worst maybe he wasn’t happy with Clint’s schemes and is excited for a new approach, but let’s be honest, who among us isn’t glad to see us moving on from
Clint’s defense? I could say the same as Nwosu and I wasn’t pushing to fire Pete. I just wanted to see new schemes on both sides of the ball. When I read that Pete didn’t want to make big changes this offseason then I agreed with the decision to move on. Still doesn’t mean I didn’t like having him here or didn’t like his coaching.
So, opinions ARE NOT facts?

Hmmmm, interesting take.

I’ve assumed by reading these forums over the years that opinions ARE facts.

Hence the shift in what people call “journalism” these days.
Even the majority of what we see on the TV News(MSM) nowadays are actually opinion pieces based on something that happened or something someone said.
The “facts” and only the facts almost never get reported any more.

Remember not that long ago you could watch the “news” and at the end of it one of the anchors or an editor who do a 30 second “opinion” piece?
Doesn’t happen anymore because it’s all opinion, or slanted to fit an agenda.

kidhawk

Reaction score

Hmmmm, interesting take.

Even the majority of what we see on the TV News(MSM) nowadays are actually opinion pieces based on something that happened or something someone said.

Remember not that long ago you could watch the “news” and at the end of it one of the anchors or an editor who do a 30 second “opinion” piece?
An opinion piece would be if the writer stated their opinion. This “article” tries to tell us the players opinion without actually knowing the players opinion.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Hmmmm, interesting take.

Facts still get reported. The problem is the dramatization that's being applied such as they are in this article, with terms like "psyched to be done with," and "trash". They are still reporting the actual facts, but they're giving them a certain spin to it that almost certainly wasn't the intent of the person who made the statement but will advance the reporter's agenda, in this case, to generate a controversy that will result in more readers.

With regards to this article, use of more neutral terms like "Nwosu comments about the new coaching staff", or "Nwosu's upbeat about our new coaching staff" would be a more objective way of describing his comments.