M's sign Mitch Garver

sutz

Reaction score
A bit wounded, it seems. Only 87 games last year. Decent numbers, though, and only 82 Ks in those 87 games.

Maybe as a primary DH he can stay healthier.

Garver, who turns 33 on Jan. 15, is coming off solid season with the Rangers. In 87 games with Texas, he posted a .270/.370/.500 slash line with 11 doubles, 19 homers, 50 RBI, 44 walks and 82 strikeouts. A mild left-knee sprain suffered in early April kept him on the injured list until June 2.

He will likely spend most of his time at designated hitter to keep him healthy. Garver hasn’t played in more than 90 games since his 2019 season with the Twins.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade from Tom Murphy, with similar health concerns, and last seasons numbers coming in an extremely hitter friendly park... He will almost certainly take a dip in his numbers hitting in Tmo park. Bit of fools gold there.

They've been linked to him since the beginning of the off-season, but to me this isn't much more than signing AJ Pollock last year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I can't lie, when I heard that stat, I laughed. Loud.

I mean, you can't even make this sh** up. They literally don't care about winning, at all. $ over everything.

sutz

Reaction score
33 at bats is two series'?
Excuse me while I don't do back flips over Mitch Garver.
Two series is 6-7 games, normally. 5 ABs per game gets you to the range of 30 ABs. Simple math.

Maybe that is scattered over several seasons of individual ABs in pinch hitting situations. Who knows how that is distributed. Just saying, though, that in the MLB 33 ABs is a small sample that could be heavily swayed by situations.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How often does a guy get 5 AB's a game?

I have no idea how good he will be. But he is 0 FOR 33 at T-Mobile. That's ass.
It just feels like more leftovers, how very Mariner. Hope to be pleasantly surprised. But I've seen this movie enough times.

sutz

Reaction score
Granted, I was a bit 'generous' in some of my estimates. IAE, 33 ABs could represent as few as 10 games easily. Still a small sample size. I'm not claiming he's an all star, but his WAR last season appears to be positive at 2.1 per Baseball Reference at https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garvemi01.shtml.

Could be an asset. Time will tell.

I'm kind of interested who gets an invitation to Spring training this year. We have some promising position players coming up the pipeline.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We need a hell of a lot more. But it's the same sh** every year. They sit around while other teams add quality.
Leftovers, the favorite way to go in Seattle. I hope he tears it up. We need it.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Whoo hoo, record breaking season coming up! The most shut-outs. The fewest wins. The longest losing streak. The lowest runs scored average. The largest negative runs differential. The most fielding errors. And most importantly, the league's lowest fan attendance and advertising revenue because ownership thought they could make a buck by being cheap, but forgot that signing bona fide talent and winning goes much farther to that end.