Mina Kimes ranks Pete Carroll at #10 among coaches

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It's common knowledge that Wilson's entire plan of forcing Jody to pick between him and Pete was hatched while watching Brady from the league suite in SB LV, which led to him pretty much forcing his way out of Seattle because of what you're saying here.

So I guess give Russ credit, it worked. Well, the forcing his way out for more control worked. The delusional part of thinking he's like Brady and could control a franchise and win another SB part? Err................not so much.

Yep, Wilson witnessed Brady sitting in pockets long enough to eat lunch while he was getting killed in Seattle every Sunday. All he did was ask for help on the Oline and he never got it. Wilson knew it was never going to change in Seattle as long as Carroll was the head coach thus the ultimatum given to Jody. Jody was never going to pick Russ over Pete because Pete runs the organization for her. Its why I don't hold any ill feelings towards Russ for forcing his way out. What choice did he have? There isn't a person on this board that wouldn't have done the same thing if they were in his shoes.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yep, Wilson witnessed Brady sitting in pockets long enough to eat lunch while he was getting killed in Seattle every Sunday. All he did was ask for help on the Oline and he never got it. Wilson knew it was never going to change in Seattle as long as Carroll was the head coach thus the ultimatum given to Jody. Jody was never going to pick Russ over Pete because Pete runs the organization for her. Its why I don't hold any ill feelings towards Russ for forcing his way out. What choice did he have? There isn't a person on this board that wouldn't have done the same thing if they were in his shoes.

That's funny. Everyone told us last spring that with Wilson going to a team with a much-better offensive line than the Seahawks, he was going to have a season for the ages and make the Seahawks look very stupid for trading him.
My prediction was that by mid-season, talking-head mediots would be wondering how the Broncos' OL got so bad so fast. I was technically wrong about that. Wilson led the league in times sacked, despite playing in only 15 games, but what I hadn't imagined was that Wilson would suck even nearly as much as he did. Because he was so bad in every aspect of the game, even mediots had no trouble figuring out why Wilson took so many sacks. For those who lost count, it was 55 in under 15 games, getting sacked on 10.2% of his dropbacks. How does that compare to his time with the Seahawks? He was sacked on 8.3% of his dropbacks as a Seahawk. The worst season was 2018, when he was sacked on 10.7% of his dropbacks, but in his last three seasons with the 'Hawks, it was 8.5%, 7.8%, and 7.6%. And then, despite playing with rookie tackles, Geno Smith was sacked on 7.4% of his dropbacks in 2022.

It really looks like your sob story about poor Russ just asking for help on the "Oline" but never getting it, and your blaming the Seahawks offensive lines for all the sacks Wilson took, is nonsense, like so many Wilson-apologist comments are. Wilson gets sacked a lot, but it's at least as much his fault as it is the fault of the offensive linemen he throws under the bus to cover for his inadequacies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

He had lots of choices.

One of them being to stay put in Seattle and listen to the very tangible and objective criticisms of the holes in his game from pretty much EVERYONE around him organizationally in order to continue to play well and help his team win.

But Russ's fatal flaw is his ego, and whoever he's listening to in his inner circles telling him "yeah man, you're as good or better than Brady and Peyton! You need to do that, get control man so you can cook!"

Well, we found out who was right last year didn't we. Pete.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can NOT put Andy Reid at the top of their list. He's the only one that has taken two teams to SB's and is the winningest coach in two team's history, one of two active coaches with multiple Lombardi's, he's won his division for the past 6 straight seasons, he's been to 3 of the past 4 SB's, and he's the defending champ. Besides Belichick, he's the only active coach that is a slam dunk HOF'er.

I'm with those who say that Pete has slid quite a bit, into the 2nd or 3rd tier of coaches. #10 is generous. This is a "what have you done lately" ranking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
PFF released its ranking of the top 10 coaches today, and Pete is not on the list. Because it's probably behind a paywall, I will list their ranking here:

1 Andy Reid
2 Bill Bellichick
3 Mike Tomlin
4 Kyle Shanahan
5 John Harbaugh
6 Sean McVay
7 Doug Pederson
8 Nick Siriani
9 Sean McDermott
10 Brian Daboll

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Don't delude yourself, Russ went to Denver and CONTINUED to get his a$$ sacked to historic numbers, not Pete's doing, at all, I mean hell, he even set a record in Denver at being the MOST SACKED Quarterback while playing for the Donko's, EVER.
LOLOL & Geno came NOWHERE NEAR being sacked as much as Mr. Sandlot Wilson, and the O-Line is still FAR from putting together a good season.
With his willy-nilly off script play, Russ is damned HARD to block for, Denver found that out early on....A fired Head Coach before the season had even come to a close should be telling you something about RW's weaknesses, eh?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can NOT put Andy Reid at the top of their list. He's the only one that has taken two teams to SB's and is the winningest coach in two team's history, one of two active coaches with multiple Lombardi's, he's won his division for the past 6 straight seasons, he's been to 3 of the past 4 SB's, and he's the defending champ. Besides Belichick, he's the only active coach that is a slam dunk HOF'er.

I'm with those who say that Pete has slid quite a bit, into the 2nd or 3rd tier of coaches. #10 is generous. This is a "what have you done lately" ranking.

Remember Reid was about to be run out of town again in KC before Mahomes showed up. He was at the top of all the wrong lists back then, as in the top of the "longest tenured coaches who have never won a SB" lists.

Brady with Belichick, Mahomes with Reid..........even the greatest innovators need exceptional QB play to win.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Remember Reid was about to be run out of town again in KC before Mahomes showed up. He was at the top of all the wrong lists back then, as in the top of the "longest tenured coaches who have never won a SB" lists.

Brady with Belichick, Mahomes with Reid..........even the greatest innovators need exceptional QB play to win.
Yep, "exceptional Quarterbacks" and having catch everything thrown their way, speedy & elusive Receivers helps a bunch in this team sport also.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
That's funny. Everyone told us last spring that with Wilson going to a team with a much-better offensive line than the Seahawks, he was going to have a season for the ages and make the Seahawks look very stupid for trading him.
My prediction was that by mid-season, talking-head mediots would be wondering how the Broncos' OL got so bad so fast. I was technically wrong about that. Wilson led the league in times sacked, despite playing in only 15 games, but what I hadn't imagined was that Wilson would suck even nearly as much as he did. Because he was so bad in every aspect of the game, even mediots had no trouble figuring out why Wilson took so many sacks. For those who lost count, it was 55 in under 15 games, getting sacked on 10.2% of his dropbacks. How does that compare to his time with the Seahawks? He was sacked on 8.3% of his dropbacks as a Seahawk. The worst season was 2018, when he was sacked on 10.7% of his dropbacks, but in his last three seasons with the 'Hawks, it was 8.5%, 7.8%, and 7.6%. And then, despite playing with rookie tackles, Geno Smith was sacked on 7.4% of his dropbacks in 2022.

It really looks like your sob story about poor Russ just asking for help on the "Oline" but never getting it, and your blaming the Seahawks offensive lines for all the sacks Wilson took, is nonsense, like so many Wilson-apologist comments are. Wilson gets sacked a lot, but it's at least as much his fault as it is the fault of the offensive linemen he throws under the bus to cover for his inadequacies.

Wilson does take a lot of sacks because he's broken from playing in Seattle for so long. He has Carr Syndrome from running for his life for so many years. When you piss blood every Monday morning for that long, that tends to happen.

Lets not pretend its all on Wilson. Every QB under Carroll gets hit a lot. The numbers dont lie. You can look it up. Pete just doesnt put a lot of emphasis on the Oline or if he does, he and the personnel dont do a very good job coaching them up.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He had lots of choices.

One of them being to stay put in Seattle and listen to the very tangible and objective criticisms of the holes in his game from pretty much EVERYONE around him organizationally in order to continue to play well and help his team win.

But Russ's fatal flaw is his ego, and whoever he's listening to in his inner circles telling him "yeah man, you're as good or better than Brady and Peyton! You need to do that, get control man so you can cook!"

Well, we found out who was right last year didn't we. Pete.

Yeah, stay in Seattle and waste the rest of his career losing in the early rounds of the playoffs like Geno will under Carroll. Great choice.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Don't delude yourself, Russ went to Denver and CONTINUED to get his a$$ sacked to historic numbers, not Pete's doing, at all, I mean hell, he even set a record in Denver at being the MOST SACKED Quarterback while playing for the Donko's, EVER.
LOLOL & Geno came NOWHERE NEAR being sacked as much as Mr. Sandlot Wilson, and the O-Line is still FAR from putting together a good season.
With his willy-nilly off script play, Russ is damned HARD to block for, Denver found that out early on....A fired Head Coach before the season had even come to a close should be telling you something about RW's weaknesses, eh?

There's context behind everything that seems to escape you. Yes Russ scrambles more than he should because thats what he had to do in Seattle for years. He also was in a new system playing under a coach that had no idea what he was doing. He also lost his two primary offensive weapons early in the season which hurt tremendously.

And its crazy how you and others look at Geno as an example of how much things have changed when the guy was sacked 46 times last year. He was one of the most sacked QB's in the league. Its not just a QB thing in Seattle, its a Pete Carroll thing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wilson does take a lot of sacks because he's broken from playing in Seattle for so long. He has Carr Syndrome from running for his life for so many years. When you piss blood every Monday morning for that long, that tends to happen.

Lets not pretend its all on Wilson. Every QB under Carroll gets hit a lot. The numbers dont lie. You can look it up. Pete just doesnt put a lot of emphasis on the Oline or if he does, he and the personnel dont do a very good job coaching them up.

Another of the most egregious Wilson bad takes.

Russell's been sacked a ton wherever he's played, going back to college where he was one of the most sacked QB's in the nation every year he played, both at NC State and even Wisconsin where they have the best lines in the country year after year. To the tune of 2-3 times a game.

Remember last year when all the Bronco lineman were talking crap about how things were different now and Wilson wasn't going to get sacked like he did in Seattle?

55 times he was sacked last year, that's more than ANY year in Seattle.

Enough already with this incorrect nonsense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah, stay in Seattle and waste the rest of his career losing in the early rounds of the playoffs like Geno will under Carroll. Great choice.

Sure, much worse than going to Denver with more control and going 5-12 and being the laughing stock of the entire league.

You don't even care anymore about facts do you pitt. Just keep beating these false narratives hoping people don't check the stats or idk, watch games? Not sure what your intention at this point is.

RiverDog

Reaction score

So Donovan McNabb was an exceptional QB? That's who quarterbacked the Eagles when Reid took them to their franchise's first ever SB.

The way I interpreted this list is that it's a ranking of current coaches as they stand today, in other words, if you had one coach that you wanted to coach your team today, who would you choose? Why else would anyone rank someone like Kyle Shannahan ahead of Bill Belichick?

rcaido

Reaction score
Tavaris Jackson - 2nd most sacked first year w/ Pete w/ (42). When he played for the Vikings never had more then 20sacks

Geno Smith - tied for 3rd most sacks last season (46).

hoxrox

Reaction score

Well largely because most of his defenses has sucked. His offenses have been good with Mahomes though.