Michael Irvin gets passionate about Kam Chancellor

HawkEye

Reaction score
Dude be F'd every which way from Sunday if he continues this nonsense.

This is absolutely mind boggling to me...How can Kam not see this?? For what we've seen, the front office will not concede anything. What is it Kam? An injury? You have no money left?

Besides, this is resonating all over the NFL. No one would trust this guy's signature in a contract.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Basis4day":8myxdes4 said:
Also, whenever an ex-player says they should just "pay the man" they need to say which players they would cut to free up the money.

Except that Kam isn't asking for new money.

MrThortan

Reaction score
"I've got so many words it's hard to throw them out there. I just feel great right now. The Seahawks organization has blessed me. It just feels good. I'm a happy person right now," Chancellor ~ 2013

These guys talk like Kam is making minimum wage and the Seahawks are refusing to pay him. They made a deal, and Kam seemed pretty damn happy about it when he signed the dotted line. Maybe, "I've got so many words it's hard to throw them out there" he meant, this isn't enough damn money and I will hold the season hostage until I get my real deal.

The team invested in the SS position in the draft, coaching and contract and felt that Kam was the guy for that position. It is unfortunate that we don't seem to have any depth there. I can't help but wonder if we had a different player at SS worth the same $$ that we pay Kam how solid our D would be.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure a former Cowboy would hate for Seattle to be in cap hell after a couple of years. "Pay that man"

andyh64000

Reaction score
Laloosh":2onz1i4k said:
Yeah, I'm sure a former Cowboy would hate for Seattle to be in cap hell after a couple of years. "Pay that man"

How would this create "cap hell"?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The answer to this dilemma comes midway through the GB game.

We either can still be a great secondary without him or we cannot.

If we cannot, we won't sniff the SB- if the secondary is suddenly a weakness. If we can, then maybe leverage shifts. Carroll is kind of a CB/S whisperer so maybe he can find someone to fix that problem. Maybe the problem is Kris Richard is no longer just working with the secondary.

But I think things are at an impasse until we know whether the results last Sunday are the new normal or whether that was just a blip due to a lot of factors that are unlikely to repeat together.

This team has to be able to beat QBs of high scoring teams, because we cannot play basketball on grass with them. Our offense is not set up that way. So if we lose the ability to keep the QBs in check, we will have to adjust. Adjusting might mean needing to bend to get Kam back in, but maybe Carroll (being the defensive mind he is) can figure something out.

I am still in the Kam should have a better deal camp but I don't think he will get one unless the club feels it has no choice. We are not at that point yet.

lobohawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":26etbrdl said:

If we cannot, we won't sniff the SB- if the secondary is suddenly a weakness. If we can, then maybe leverage shifts. Carroll is kind of a CB/S whisperer so maybe he can find someone to fix that problem. Maybe the problem is Kris Richard is no longer just working with the secondary.

But I think things are at an impasse until we know whether the results last Sunday are the new normal or whether that was just a blip due to a lot of factors that are unlikely to repeat together.

This team has to be able to beat QBs of high scoring teams, because we cannot play basketball on grass with them. Our offense is not set up that way. So if we lose the ability to keep the QBs in check, we will have to adjust. Adjusting might mean needing to bend to get Kam back in, but maybe Carroll (being the defensive mind he is) can figure something out.

I am still in the Kam should have a better deal camp but I don't think he will get one unless the club feels it has no choice. We are not at that point yet.

Nope. Not the GB game. Later in the season. There's no way this D has grown enough to be ready for the GB offense. Too many new pieces on top of the coaching changes. Evaluating the D at this point would be presumptuous.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2b6mi3am said:

The team will not, nor should they cave just because the team is weaker without his presence.

It may cost the team a trophy this year, and if so, thats too bad.

But its still the right decision by the FO, and I support them 100%

The FO has to think big picture, Kam thought they would panic, he gambled, and he lost.

Laloosh

Reaction score
andyh64000":fdq4rua0 said:
Laloosh":fdq4rua0 said:

For one guy, it won't. But it sure as hell could after everyone lines up for theirs next year.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Laloosh":hqx9x6sr said:
andyh64000":hqx9x6sr said:
Laloosh":hqx9x6sr said:

For one guy, it won't. But it sure as hell could after everyone lines up for theirs next year.

Except that won't happen. All contract situations are unique. Players are unique. They broke "policy" last year with Lynch but people say that situation was different...of course it was different. They are all different. Without Lynch we don't get to the Super Bowl last year. Well guess what, without Kam we won't get there either. Not many players can make that claim.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Irvin's a jabbering blowhard.
A player is putting himself above HIS TEAM. Next man up.

I'd love to see Kam back but you do NOT reward such actions. I'm proud of how the team and FO are handling this ridiculous move from KC.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"It may cost the team a trophy this year, and if so, thats too bad."

This is a ridiculous statement on the face of it. The purpose of playing is to get in place for a trophy. The amount of preparation, talent and luck that all have to combine to make that possible mean that even good teams get a very limited amount of years to knock at that door - and even good team with everything in place still might not win it all (see last year when key players got hurt before & IN the SB).

You do not squander those chances, because the worry you have about ruining the team in 5 years is not salient - in 5 years the team will not be able to be in a SB, the key pieces will be too old. We will likely be rebuilding then anyway.

This is not the Mariners (who actively tried to avoid playoffs), the Seahawks have only 16 games. The way you build lifelong fan support is to create a legacy of a championships that warm the fans through the cold years. Almost every great team that wins goes through rebuilding a few short years after - (unless they repeatedly cheat to rig the rules, thereby 'winning' games they really would not have)

Laloosh

Reaction score
andyh64000":2gtb2ua0 said:
Laloosh":2gtb2ua0 said:
andyh64000":2gtb2ua0 said:
Laloosh":2gtb2ua0 said:

Except that won't happen. All contract situations are unique. Players are unique. They broke "policy" last year with Lynch but people say that situation was different...of course it was different. They are all different. Without Lynch we don't get to the Super Bowl last year. Well guess what, without Kam we won't get there either. Not many players can make that claim.

Forgive me if I don't change my mind based on your opinion. It's a huge risk.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
andyh64000":1lt8ecfh said:
Basis4day":1lt8ecfh said:
Also, whenever an ex-player says they should just "pay the man" they need to say which players they would cut to free up the money.
andyh64000":1lt8ecfh said:
If reports are to be believed (and I'm pretty sure we are missing significant portions of the story), he wants at least $4M moved from 2017 to 2016. That does two very negative things from the team's perspective. First, it throws off all the cap calculations for next year. JS can't just throw money at players, all those contracts have to be structured to fit together in the years ahead. Arbitrarily moving $4M up a year throws a monkey wrench into the works, and there's no telling how much restructuring of other players contracts would be needed to accommodate Kam's demands. Second, it sets up Kam to have the last year of his contract be "underpaid." If Kam is willing to hold out with 3 years left on his contract, what makes any sane person think he won't hold out on his last year if he claims he's being underpaid? He's basically trying to extort the team into making it easy for him to extort the team again in a couple years.

When he signed his current contract, he was ecstatic, and rightly so. Now, after the first year of his extension, it's not enough?

I'll go on record here to say I don't believe Kam wasn't asking for any new money. I think that story is a pile of crap. I think it is public spin, to get guys like Irvin to carry his luggage for him. I think when the whole story is made public (if ever), Kam is going to look a whole lot greedier than he is perceived by many to be now.

I clicked on the link in the OP against my better instincts. Lesson learned? Trust my instincts.

andyh64000

Reaction score
BlueTalon":17i35wsd said:
I'll go on record here to say I don't believe Kam wasn't asking for any new money. I think that story is a pile of crap. I think it is public spin, to get guys like Irvin to carry his luggage for him. I think when the whole story is made public (if ever), Kam is going to look a whole lot greedier than he is perceived by many to be now.

I agree with you in part...I originally thought Kam wanted his contract fully guaranteed. The $900K apart report makes no logical sense to me (for either side). I believe there was serious negotiation but there has to me more to it then such a small difference on how money was being reshuffled.

Jiggy

Reaction score
Yeah and next year when Bennett is holding out because Seattle gives into Kam. Irvin will give the same passionate speech, only with a different name.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
andyh64000":ziwzgugf said:
Basis4day":ziwzgugf said:

He basically is. If you think for a second he would play out 2017 at whatever ridiculous number it would be after he has that entire salary bumped to 2016 (further ruining the cap) then...

Honestly though none of us have any idea what Kam is asking for. All we know is some probable BS he spun to the NFL network to make himself look good and the team "petty" for all we know he is actually asking for new money

BlueTalon

Reaction score
andyh64000":1ub8dhha said:
Laloosh":1ub8dhha said:
andyh64000":1ub8dhha said:
Laloosh":1ub8dhha said:
I don't think you realize how different that situation was. Marshawn was contemplating retiring. As in, not playing football again. For anybody. Ever again. That is what's known as a credible threat. That is unparalleled leverage.

Kam isn't walking away from the game. Kam wants to play football, which takes away virtually all of his leverage.

Kam, wanting more money and still wanting to play football, puts him in the same boat as most other players. And contrary to your opinion, a lot of players on the Seahawks could make the claim that they don't make the Super Bowl without them -- Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Earl, Sherm, and those are just off the top of my head.

If the Seahawks cave to Kam, it opens up Pandora's Box by sending an open invitation to all players to do the same thing if they are not content with their contract.