Mariners 2023 Season

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Still think they are a bat or 2 short. JK might take away one of those “needed bats” IF, he hits like he did in ST. Offensive holes still @ DH and SS, IMHO. I think it’s a big ask to get a productive combination LaStella, Hummel, and Pollock fill that last spot.
I think they'll do what they did last year and ride it out till near the TDL and get whatever holes filled then if they are in it. I do think they are sitting on some cash needed. Worked last year with Castillo and Santana was to me a great rental who was pretty clutch.

Definitely a make or break year for Kelenic. If Suarez and France can repeat last years form we are in a great place though.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The problem with that is you then have to trade more of your farm system which you've already taken from recently again and again trying to improve (Castillo trade, Frazier trade, Winker/Suarez trade, Wong trade, Casali trade, Boyd trade, Teoscar Hernandez trade, etc.). They could have signed a top tier bat in the off-season with simply cash, and allowed the farm system to continue building back up instead of positioning themselves to have to draw from it again at the trade deadline. That's what some of us are annoyed with regarding that...

I'd rather see Harry Ford play for the Mariners rather than have to trade him because the front office is being cheap. Not saying that's gonna happen for sure, but they've put themselves in the position where they might have to do just that when they likely could have avoided it all together.
The farm is still pretty deep so i'm not too worried. I think Chris Flexen will be trade bait as well and/or Gonzalez if everyone stays healthy pitching wise.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The farm is still pretty deep so i'm not too worried. I think Chris Flexen will be trade bait as well and/or Gonzalez if everyone stays healthy pitching wise.
Not really. They're ranked 24th in baseball (MLB Farm system rankings). They only have 2 players left in the top 100 in Ford and Miller. They aren't drafting at the top of the 1st round anymore now that they're winning where they got guys like Gilbert, Kirby, Ford, and Hancock.

If you want to make a significant move for a bat you'll have to give up top 100 prospects. If they have to do that the cupboard is pretty bare for years to come until your hopefully elite international signings come of age 5+ years from now...

As apposed to the Rangers who went out and spent free agent money to get their team into expected contention and still have the 7th ranked system.

I don't want to put a sour note on opening day but the Mariners owners are cheapskates and they're taking extra risks to try to win without investing as much into the team as they should.

None the less, Go Mariners!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Rotation isn't close to what I would have done, but I don't claim to know more than Servais.

1. Castillo
2. Ray
3. Gilbert
4. Marco
5. Kirby

I'm going to assume it's a R/L/R/L/R thing more than talent level. I figured Marco would be 5 and Ray at 4. Oh well. That's a hell of a starting staff imo.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The Rotation isn't close to what I would have done, but I don't claim to know more than Servais.

1. Castillo
2. Ray
3. Gilbert
4. Marco
5. Kirby

I'm going to assume it's a R/L/R/L/R thing more than talent level. I figured Marco would be 5 and Ray at 4. Oh well. That's a hell of a starting staff imo.
Yeah, they mentioned on the radio that the order is not in the order of talent. It's to get the alternating left, right, but also Marco ahead of Kirby they said is meant to shield Kirby a bit. Things like if the bullpen is taxed then Marco will be expected to eat the innings with less bullpen help and save the bullpen for Kirby...

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
How did this team not address DH? We are DH’ing Tommy LaStella on opening night. That is a position I fully expect us to upgrade mid season. I’m hopefull JK can turn it around.

Last edited:

DJrmb

Reaction score
How did this team not address DH? We are DH’ing Tommy LaStella on opening night. That is a position I fully expect us to upgrade mid season. I’m hopefull JK can turn it around.
They don't want to have a full time DH. They want to use that spot to rest guys, keeping guys healthier, platoon guys, and to ride the hot hand.

balakoth

Reaction score
Why .. i this man,, DHing tonight.. would have rather had Ford

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This already feels a lot like last year. Can’t score at home. Leaving a lot of runners in scoring position. Basically waiting for the HR.

Pitching is dominating.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Glad to see Geno and France hit and France look like he did early last year.

Banning the shift may be the making of Kelenic. Got a hit yesterday that would be an easy out with the shift.

Love the pitch clock. The Cleveland relief pitcher got rattled by it.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
This already feels a lot like last year. Can’t score at home. Leaving a lot of runners in scoring position. Basically waiting for the HR.

Pitching is dominating.
Cleveland's a good team with a great pitcher. Genuinely think the Mariners could have beat them and the Yankees last year in the play offs. We just had to meet Houston of all teams, our bogey team.

Can't help but think this year they'll play a lot more loose. 21 years of pressure is off. Go have fun and build on last year.