Longest Home Run Ever

ivotuk

Reaction score
MLB has a contest asking fans to predict the longest home run this year. I always have to research everything, so here is what I found out.

"In 1987, Joey Meyer, playing for the Triple-A Denver Zephyrs, launched this ball an astonishing 582 FEET! "

"Oh my goodness, there's a single fan out there, looks like Bob Uecker!"

There's a story about Babe Ruth hittting 587 feet, but apparently not verified. MLB has a page with every team's longest home run. Yankees: Aaron Judge -- Sept. 30, 2017 vs. TOR Distance: 496 feet

Mariners: Mike Zunino -- Sept. 13, 2017 at TEX; June 29, 2018 vs. KC Distance: 470 feet (Watch them: HR #1; HR #2)
Zunino crushed two 470-foot home runs during his time in Seattle, so he shares the team distance record with himself, beating out Nelson Cruz (two 469-footers). Zunino belted his first 470-footer to the upper deck in left field in Texas. The next season, he knocked one at home, this time going to the upper deck at Safeco Field. Full Mariners leaderboard

Predict which player will hit the longest home run the rest of the season and you could win $50,000 worth of Bitcoin or cash.et (Watch it)

You know I'm going Julio, with 470+

Threedee

Reaction score
I was at the Kingdome in 1998 when Mark McGwire hit a massive shot. I could hear it strike the scoreboard from the other side of the dome. Mariners won the game, so, that was nice.

ryank24

Reaction score
I was at the Mariners game June 24, 1997 against the Oakland A's. Randy Johnson threw 19 strike outs and lost the game 4-1. Mark McGwire hit a home run 538 feet in that game.

beastalamode

Reaction score
I was at the Mariners game June 24, 1997 against the Oakland A's. Randy Johnson threw 19 strike outs and lost the game 4-1. Mark McGwire hit a home run 538 feet in that game.
I was at that game too! I was in the 100 level in left center and watched the ball dissapear above me. I remember saying to my friend that it must have gone 500 feet, and was shocked when 538 popped up on the screen 😯

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
19 Strikeouts! "The Unit" must have been one hell of a pitcher! Love that video where he blows up a bird with a pitch.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I was at that game too! I was in the 100 level in left center and watched the ball dissapear above me. I remember saying to my friend that it must have gone 500 feet, and was shocked when 538 popped up on the screen 😯
I actually think the estimate on that ball was low.
That ball is more than likely out of T-mobile park.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
19 Strikeouts! "The Unit" must have been one hell of a pitcher! Love that video where he blows up a bird with a pitch.
I’ve never seen a pitcher live dominate as much as Randy did. You knew it was a win on the days he pitched. You could see the fear in the opposing hitters eyes when he pitched. The batters box was the last place they wanted to be when he was pitching.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Mickey Mantle hit a home run in 1960 that was estimated at 643 feet:

Historian Mark Gallagher estimated that the home run Mantle hit in September of 1960 at Tiger Stadium traveled a whopping 643 feet. The ball actually sailed right over the right field roof of the ballpark, which is mind-boggling to contemplate. This dinger off the bat of ‘The Mick’ went an estimated 140 feet further than the 15th longest home run on this list, which makes it that much more impressive.

Seven years earlier, Mantle hit one that was at least partially measured at 565 feet:

Seven years before Mickey Mantle hit the longest home run ever recorded in a baseball game, he hit what was then the longest tape measure shot. That’s right, Mantle actually topped himself. This particular home run came off of a pitch by Senators’ right hander Chuck Stobbs in Washington D.C. in April, 1953. The New York Yankees’ travel coordinator estimated the distance of the home run to equal 565 feet. He used a tape measure to determine the exact distance of the home run, giving birth to the term “tape-measure shot.”

And that was from a guy that spent more time in cocktail lounges than he did in the gym.