Lockett responds to criticism about third down slide...

sc85sis

Reaction score
Tyler is willing to take a hit when needed, as we saw later in the game. I don't see the need on some of the plays people have seem concerned about this year. He's no good to us on IR.

Chapow

Reaction score
Again, this play in isolation is no big deal

But we've been talking about it all season. This isnt something new

Nobody faults a player avoiding a big shot here and there to stay healthy

But this is turning into a few times per game which is concerning

Speaking only for myself, I'm not concerned. I think Lockett goes down when he thinks the play is over, or when he thinks fighting for an extra yard or two isn't worth the risk of taking a big hit or risking a defender striping the ball out. Defenders are coached to attack the ball these days.

It wasn't very long ago that many were criticizing DK for losing the ball while fighting for extra yards, and saying he should've known when the play was over and gone down instead of risking the ball for a couple of extra yards. Now here we are criticizing Lockett for not fighting for every last inch, every time he gets the ball.

I'm fine with Lockett giving himself up when he decides he should. Lockett is far more important to this team than a couple of extra yards.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
And yet we are winning more games than most predicted.
We’ve got a lead in our division, AND TYLER LOCKETT will be available for the next game.

Exactly what are your “concerns”?
Asking for a friend.

My concerns are that the frequent giving up of yardage may cost us a victory at some point

And what are the odds that hes going to get a season ending injury just because he attempts to pick up a first down?

This black and white thinking isnt necessary. Its not either or :)

Tyler's play has changed this year. I love him, but its changed.

Its worth talking about.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Speaking only for myself, I'm not concerned. I think Lockett goes down when he thinks the play is over, or when he thinks fighting for an extra yard or two isn't worth the risk of taking a big hit or risking a defender striping the ball out. Defenders are coached to attack the ball these days.

It wasn't very long ago that many were criticizing DK for losing the ball while fighting for extra yards, and saying he should've known when the play was over and gone down instead of risking the ball for a couple of extra yards. Now here we are criticizing Lockett for not fighting for every last inch, every time he gets the ball.

I'm fine with Lockett giving himself up when he decides he should. Lockett is far more important to this team than a couple of extra yards.

Valid

It just seems to be happening quite a bit with him this year

I just wonder if something has gotten to him from a mental standpoint.

Hope he's ok. We need him :)

cheers

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I think people forget Tyler Lockett was told at the NFL combine that football was too dangerous for him. That a certain hit can jeopardize his health and life. He's been cleared by doctors but I'm sure that no doubt has been in Tyler's head. I don't blame him at all for avoiding hits when possible. Should he have gotten the first down? Probably. I'm sure he'll make the right decision in the biggest moments. I've never seen Tyler drop a pass or avoid a catch because a big hit was coming.

cymatica

Reaction score
I think people forget Tyler Lockett was told at the NFL combine that football was too dangerous for him. That a certain hit can jeopardize his health and life. He's been cleared by doctors but I'm sure that no doubt has been in Tyler's head. I don't blame him at all for avoiding hits when possible. Should he have gotten the first down? Probably. I'm sure he'll make the right decision in the biggest moments. I've never seen Tyler drop a pass or avoid a catch because a big hit was coming.
Never even heard about that. What is his condition?

balakoth

Reaction score
You're going to get destroyed in this league as a WR.

TL has made it abundantly clear that if given the choice, he is avoiding contact this year, at the cost of catches or yards at times

That's his decision to make, and I understand it on some level, but he also needs to know that (as Shaun Alexander found out) criticism will also come his way, and rightfully so as well.
He has given up zero catches cuz of that.. maybe yards.. but ZERO catches

Then this man takes a massive hit across the middle and people are STILL talking about how tough he is..

Its called making the right decisions at the right time to last in the league

You get destroyed as WR by making stupid decisions.. period

JGreen79

Reaction score
I suggest this.

If there were a way to prove it, I’d bet a weeks salary that the dude wouldn’t slide like that if a SB was on the line. Hopefully we get a chance to see if I’m correct.

Fact is, this is a split decision on us fan’s part.

He’d be taking as much (or more) heat if he had tried for the couple extra yards and took a season ending injury.

He can’t please us all, he did what he felt best. I can’t hate on him for it even if I was a bit miffed at the moment.

Exactly this. He's is way valuable to give it all up for a first down in the middle of a game on a random play in week 9.

I have no doubt that when it really truly matters he'll lay it all out on the line for the game.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Lose the battle, win the war.

Tyler Lockett is a known quantity, an elite possession receiver who has come through for us in clutch situations countless times in the past. He is allowed to make the occasional mistake or to end a play early so that he doesn't take a career shortening hit.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't mind Tyler avoiding big hits, but his comment feels like a cop-out. We praise players for having on-field awareness, and Tyler is basically using his lack of it as a reason for not going for the first down when he slid.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Hasn’t seemed to affect him before this year……

Hawkpower

Reaction score
He has given up zero catches cuz of that.. maybe yards.. but ZERO catches

Then this man takes a massive hit across the middle and people are STILL talking about how tough he is..

Its called making the right decisions at the right time to last in the league

You get destroyed as WR by making stupid decisions.. period

That’s not what’s being discussed. Everyone agrees with that

It’s that he’s making those “businesses” decisions at a strikingly increased rate this year.

Nobody can blame a guy for avoiding violence at strategic times.

But if you’re doing it ALOT, threads like this appear weekly.

Shaun Alexander says hello😎

pmedic920

Reaction score
My concerns are that the frequent giving up of yardage may cost us a victory at some point

And what are the odds that hes going to get a season ending injury just because he attempts to pick up a first down?

This black and white thinking isnt necessary. Its not either or :)

Tyler's play has changed this year. I love him, but its changed.

Its worth talking about.
Sure it’s worth talking about.

I’m just not on the side of “concerned”.
Longevity in the NFL certainly is a thing, and I’m not concerned with a guy like #16 engaging in some self preservation.
Tyler Lockett is a baller IMO, and like I said I’d bet that he wouldn’t do the same thing if a SB was on the line. Dude has proven himself to me, and we would certainly be a lesser team w/o him.

Keep in mind, IIRC two defensive players had a bead on him and they certainly were going to lay some wood. (That’s an old guy term) look it up if you need to.
Tyler absolutely avoided a “potential” big hit that “could have” caused injury.

You do you, have “concerns” in this case I refuse. Dude is money and I have memory of another “smaller” WR that saved himself for the big moments, and when those moments came he too was Money.

keasley45

Reaction score
Didn't he say he thought he was beyond the marker?

If that's the case, all the talk about self preservation over a potential game winning play is just talk.

If he thought he already had the first and went down to avoid contact, what's the problem?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People want to find anything to complain about? Even during a hell of a season? You know you're reaching when you start baggin' on Tyler. But, to each his/her own. If Tyler worries someone, go with it. I guess. Every player in the league makes mistakes, ALL OF THEM. It's more about how they bounce back. He ALWAYS does.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Didn't he say he thought he was beyond the marker?

If that's the case, all the talk about self preservation over a potential game winning play is just talk.

If he thought he already had the first and went down to avoid contact, what's the problem?
^^^^Exactly this^^^^

He's not allowed to make a mistake though no matter how well he's played in the past or how many games he's had a big part in us winning according to this board at least.

Over the years he's probably made less mental errors than anybody on the team but yeah, let's question his intelligence, commitment to the team, & courage while we sit on the couch eating chicken wings & having a beer.

Hell, even the GOAT forgot what down it was in the last minute of a game that directly cost his team a win & he went on to win the Superb Owl a couple months later but we're here making up scenarios to somehow claim it's gonna "cost us catches & wins" in the future.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
One of the most consistent players in the history of this franchise. Period.
It's so rare that he makes mistakes on the field that is really stands out. Modern day Steve Largent.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Page three already ..

Here is the bottom line. Tyler thought he had the first and went down. Yeah, he goes down a lot. I would rather have him healthy for 17 weeks than have him have a slightly higher YPC for the 8 weeks he's healthy to play. Like him or not, he's not a liar, everyone knows his reputation for integrity.

Kinda on topic....

Every fan should try to go to training camp once in their life to get an actual perspective and close up view of the size of these men. On TV, the perspective is skewed because they all look big. The current league is full of athletic freaks. Men who are 6'3, 260 pounds, bench press 400 pounds, AND run sub 4.5 forties. These same men are fighting for a livelihood that has a very finite window to maximize their income and they go Effing hard.
I don't know how ANYONE makes through a season, especially someone built like TL.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Without Tyler, otherwise, converting 3rd downs like he normally does, this offense is not as effective. Preservation mode is okay. He's already playing through injured ribs and it's a long season. Now if this was a playoff game, with everything on the line, then yeah, I'd have an issue with it.

Latest posts