Lock contadicts js on expectations

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yet another misstep by Schneider. Shocking.

This hack doesn't belong in his position. The sooner we find a real GM, the better off we'll be

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That’s a reasonable position. I do wonder if the drop in draft position is worth any monetary savings of not re-signing Lock. You and i would probably disagree as to whether we think Lock had a real shot to be QB1 but it’s done. BTW I am not a big Lock person, at all.
I think Lock would've had a real shot, but he would've needed to have a Rookie Russ style preseason after not dominating camp. I also don't think the draft position is worth saving 5 million, I'd much rather have that value than the cap savings.

I can only suppose that JS and Grubb both like Howell and want to see what he can do after sitting him down and letting him recuperate from the black hole he got sucked into in Washington. I think they can probably *kind of* fix him just by giving him a year off to really work on some basic fundamentals, but I don't know how much upside is there considering how much of his game is missing. He's kind of like if Russell Wilson was less athletic. Total heroball type.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Gosh damn .. lol is there anyone that these forums like in the front office? Or is it a rotating door of .net whipping boy. This yr to start its JS.
Since Schneider and Carroll were like a two headed beast, I don't think this team's problems will be solved until after Schneider leaves.

Fresh start please

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I felt kinda bad for Daniel Jones when we played the vagiants last time. Guy was staring at his Microsoft tablet blankly, then staring off into the distance like Mora, then looking around like "What is happening?" Dude didn't have a clue about what was going on with him vs our D, he probably came in with all the confidence in the world considering how we played everyone else. Then realized his situation was taking a turn for the worse and he was powerless to stop it.

But only kinda bad. He was still The Enemy, after all!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
And people fail to realize up until last year or the year before Pete was his boss and in charge of personnel
I'm still not on board or believe this stance.

So Carroll was responsible for all the roster construction? He did the drafting, signing, scouting, cap management, etc? I don't believe that for one minute.

I believe he was the main voice in John's head saying "get me this guy, get me that guy" and had the power to veto John, but ultimately this current roster construction is John's doing.

Just my opinion of course

xray

Reaction score
Yet another misstep by Schneider. Shocking.

This hack doesn't belong in his position. The sooner we find a real GM, the better off we'll be
^
This is JS's rookie year as a real GM . He sat on PC's lap until now . PC was the HC , GM and bottle washer for the Hawks .

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Gosh damn .. lol is there anyone that these forums like in the front office? Or is it a rotating door of .net whipping boy. This yr to start its JS.
I think John is a classic personnel guy who sticks to a reasoned, old-school roster building approach. Any criticism from me is totally hindsight-tinged crap, along with anyone else here tbh.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reported Friday morning that the Giants didn't convince quarterback Drew Lock to join the team by telling him he'd have a chance to win the starting job over Daniel Jones.

Schwartz called it a "heckuva story," one that came after Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider said Thursday that he wanted to re-sign Lock before eventually trading with the Washington Commanders for Sam Howell.

Schneider told "The Wyman and Bob Show" that New York "basically sold him on the opportunity to compete to be the starter."

"No, the Giants did not — repeat, did not — entice Drew Lock to sign with them by telling him he would come in and compete with Daniel Jones for the starting quarterback job," Schwartz wrote.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reported Friday morning that the Giants didn't convince quarterback Drew Lock to join the team by telling him he'd have a chance to win the starting job over Daniel Jones.

Schwartz called it a "heckuva story," one that came after Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider said Thursday that he wanted to re-sign Lock before eventually trading with the Washington Commanders for Sam Howell.

Schneider told "The Wyman and Bob Show" that New York "basically sold him on the opportunity to compete to be the starter."

"No, the Giants did not — repeat, did not — entice Drew Lock to sign with them by telling him he would come in and compete with Daniel Jones for the starting quarterback job," Schwartz wrote.
I get that the reporter said that, but, who f-n cares? It's just New York media drama and sure JS committed a mild faux pas but its not really JS's job to keep NYG little fibs and white lies straight for them. *Someone* in NYG organization at least "hinted" this to Drew, Drew shared it with JS, JS was too mentally busy on Seahawks stuff to realize it was supposed to be a secret, and blurted it out. Big deal. I want JS's head to still be focused on Seahawks stuff, but he's welcome to "apologize" and "correct" his statement if that helps smooth relations with NYG front office and PR machine.

EDIT: It's also possible that DREW "drew" that conclusion about starting opportunity on his own, reasonable take on the NYG situation, and conveyed that to Schneider with enthusiasm. It's still not John's job to clean up NYG PR mess or massage poor Daniel Jones'/NYG front office hurt feelings, though maybe not a bad idea for future deals re drafts and trades.

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I'm still not on board or believe this stance.

So Carroll was responsible for all the roster construction? He did the drafting, signing, scouting, cap management, etc? I don't believe that for one minute.

I believe he was the main voice in John's head saying "get me this guy, get me that guy" and had the power to veto John, but ultimately this current roster construction is John's doing.

Just my opinion of course
It's pretty much irrelevant whether or not you believe it. Pete held a title that literally made him John's boss. That is a fact.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Since Schneider and Carroll were like a two headed beast, I don't think this team's problems will be solved until after Schneider leaves.

Fresh start please
Pete and John were a team, sure, but Pete's decisions ruled on matters that were contested. It seems JS has been in charge of the last two drafts as well. Seeing John in action solo, sans Pete, I am really liking what I'm seeing. He's fixing Pete's overpays and ditching deadwood. It's become clearer (to me) that many of Pete's GM decisions were "shiny object syndrome" and didn't really factor in cap and long-term impact. One-season rentals paid in draft capital were to prop up Pete, and were about Pete, by Pete.

JS fixed the Dissly overpay, and we saw the the market valued Dissly at $4M/yr, not $8M/yr. JS fixed the safety position overpay issues. JS let the market overvalue Damien Lewis rather than overpay him. Maybe Lewis gets the last word; we'll see. I'll roll the dice with JS. Possibly points to the Husky OL as a primary draft target. I really like JS bringing in Sam Howell; real upside from the bargain bin. Ron Rivera isn't exactly known as a QB whisperer. Howell was great when he got good protection, but not so great when under constant pressure. I liked and rooted for Drew Lock, but IMO Howell has more long-term upside.

Under Pete, the Hawks wound up with an overpaid, underperforming roster, due to Pete's pursuit of shiny objects and emotional attachment to underperforming assistants and underperforming players, one poor decision at a time. I see JS and MM and assistants as getting busy on fixing this, and collaborating well to build a roster around MM's philosophy. JS is THE MAN and I am on board.

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
I wish Drew Lock well with his new team. He seems like he has good character and a passion for the game. Not sure, if it was a big loss of him leaving, but I definitely was rooting for his success. How he finishes off his career will be interesting. I will keep an eye on his stats once in awhile.

It appears (from my view point), that John really liked having Drew with the Seahawks, and has a little bad blood that he left. Notice how Drew didn't try to pour gas on the fire, but tried to end any turmoil. Well, that's how I see it.

Drew Lock will be missed, but unsure of the value he brings at quarterback. Big question mark.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's pretty much irrelevant whether or not you believe it. Pete held a title that literally made him John's boss. That is a fact.
Okay? So was Pete in charge of constructing the roster, managing the cap, drafting, etc, or was Schneider?

Seems like this forum is all over the place of who was calling the shots. Whatever is most convenient to fit their narrative.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Dude'll bend over backwards to convince everyone of Lock's perpetual victimhood but call for Geno's execution if he so much as dares not to throw a touchdown on any given throw. Interesting.

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
The loss of Drew was a direct result of coaches choosing to extend Geno. Maybe they want Drew to develop more in a year or two, but he got a better deal with New York.

Who knows if this way the right move or not, not sure if keeping Geno was the best move, but someone made a decision, and the rest is history.

The Giants may have just have robbed the Seahawks blind, find out in a year or two of the result.