Leonard Williams or the 44th pick in round two?

Jegpeg

Reaction score
If it were that simple, we would never make any picks.
You can't have a team where everyone is paid over $20m p.a.
You have to have the right mix of known stars on high salaries. Competent vets will a low ceiling but able to play a useful role on a reasonably low salary and pick enough rookies on the draft who are able to perform at a high level during their rookie contract.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The fact that we took Murphy this year makes me like the trade more than I did last year. Williams is going to be a great tutor for the rookie. Just having Williams out there with him should make him a better player.
Good point

Jville

Reaction score
The fact that we took Murphy this year makes me like the trade more than I did last year. Williams is going to be a great tutor for the rookie. Just having Williams out there with him should make him a better player.

It's been too long since we have seen a Dynamic Duo on the defensive line. This year's defensive line rotation could become special.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I believe that we signed Williams before FA started so there was no bidding war... FWIW.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I liked the move before he played a down for us. Loved it after. He was stellar on a bad defense.

flv2

Reaction score
I wouldn't have made the trade. I think the HC needed to do something to improve the 2023 run defense. He wouldn't have been retained for 2024 if the Seahawks didn't make the trade and the run defense was worse than it ended up being.

Trading at full price for a 1-year rental was a gamble. I didn't think the Seahawks were strong enough contenders for a gamble to pay off. If Williams made a playoff difference to team that was expected to be a 9-win team and you got a future compensatory pick then the gamble would have paid off. It didn't pay off and the Seahawks burned 100+ Draft chart points of value. Not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Almost every team burns Draft chart points at the Draft because most picks don't live up to the hype and very few picks exceed expectations. Shrug your shoulders and move on.

xray

Reaction score
Williams..." a bird in the hand ".

chrispy

Reaction score
I have nothing to back me up, but I believe that trade was a PC Hail Mary knowing his job was on the line. If he was denied, he'd have an argument that he should have another year. I think PC felt he was close to a playoff run and needed one chess piece. That trade was so out of character for the organization. I think it was JS/JA giving PC what he wanted knowing it was a final chance.

In the end, it was probably more expensive than anyone would want, but (if any of the above has any truth) it allowed the organization to move forward while still giving PC every opportunity...which he deserved.

Ironically, now LWilliams, BMurphy and JReed bring similar flexibility to MBennett, CAvril and RBryant. PCs fluid-architecture on the DL may be revived after his departure.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Big Cat, looked like the only guy worth a crap at dt last season.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I have nothing to back me up, but I believe that trade was a PC Hail Mary knowing his job was on the line. If he was denied, he'd have an argument that he should have another year. I think PC felt he was close to a playoff run and needed one chess piece. That trade was so out of character for the organization. I think it was JS/JA giving PC what he wanted knowing it was a final chance.

In the end, it was probably more expensive than anyone would want, but (if any of the above has any truth) it allowed the organization to move forward while still giving PC every opportunity...which he deserved.

Ironically, now LWilliams, BMurphy and JReed bring similar flexibility to MBennett, CAvril and RBryant. PCs fluid-architecture on the DL may be revived after his departure.
Out of curiosity how was a midseason big trade “out of character” ? These types of trades have been almost common practice in the PC era.

Geologic

Reaction score
The pick was for last year's rental. I know the "he would not have re-signed here if he did not play here" but isn't that the front office's job to convince players to come here? JS convinced Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril to play here in 2013 which led to a superbowl. Draft picks are valuable because you get that player for cheap on a rookie contract.

gabel

Reaction score
The trade amounted to roughly the 44th pick in this year‘s draft. Would you rather have that pick or Leonard Williams and his contract?
Williams was signed as a free agent. After listening to Leonard's interview, it sure sounded like he went to the highest bidder. They could have had both.