Ken Norton SR

LTH

Reaction score
Have any of you guys watched any of the Norton/ Ali fights?

There were three of them and I would say they are brutal 15 round fights ... some of the best boxing I've ever seen.. talk about 2 really super tough dudes Im mean some of the shots Ali took and gave were just epic...

Thoughts?

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":14bxoa0b said:

There were three of them and I would say they are brutal 15 round fights ... some of the best boxing I've ever seen.. talk about 2 really super tough dudes Im mean some of the shots Ali took and gave were just epic...

Thoughts?

Norton Sr, had a funny but effective fighting style, he was also one of very few heavy weight boxer that was into weight and body building. He was tough against Ali but Foreman took care of him in first or was it third round?

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":215s7rtn said:
LTH":215s7rtn said:

Thoughts?

Norton Sr, had a funny but effective fighting style, he was also one of very few heavy weight boxer that was into weight and body building. He was tough against Ali but Foreman took care of him in first or was it third round?

He was never the same after the last Ali fight, he and Frazier had some good battles also, Norton and Frazier as well as Foreman were not Boxers as much as they were bar room brawlers, Jesus the punishment those guys dished out was brutal, people underestimate Ali's punching impact however, he was a boxer first puncher second, but his jab was lethal and when he unloaded he could do some damage very fast.

The Norton fights and the Frazier Fights with Ali are classics that a boxing fan is a must see to watch.

Throw in Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard fights as well. All three fought each other and wow.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":tw3f95kc said:
toffee":tw3f95kc said:
LTH":tw3f95kc said:

Thoughts?

He was never the same after the last Ali fight, he and Frazier had some good battles also, Norton and Frazier as well as Foreman were not Boxers as much as they were bar room brawlers, Jesus the punishment those guys dished out was brutal, people underestimate Ali's punching impact however, he was a boxer first puncher second, but his jab was lethal and when he unloaded he could do some damage very fast.

The Norton fights and the Frazier Fights with Ali are classics that a boxing fan is a must see to watch.

Throw in Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard fights as well. All three fought each other and wow.

Yeah your right Norton wasn't the same after that last fight... but ya know after watching that fight closely there is an good argument that Norton actually won that last fight against Ali...

But

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":1wm8phif said:
chris98251":1wm8phif said:
toffee":1wm8phif said:
LTH":1wm8phif said:

Thoughts?

Yeah your right Norton wasn't the same after that last fight... but ya know after watching that fight closely there is an good argument that Norton actually won that last fight against Ali...

But

Yeah I thought he did, remember Ali was like a Jordon then as well and had Charisma like Magic Johnson. It was a close fight, at the end Ali wanted no more Norton and refused to fight him again when asked.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":33a6tdk7 said:
LTH":33a6tdk7 said:
chris98251":33a6tdk7 said:
toffee":33a6tdk7 said:

But

Yeah I thought he did, remember Ali was like a Jordon then as well and had Charisma like Magic Johnson. It was a close fight, at the end Ali wanted no more Norton and refused to fight him again when asked.

as well there was never another Forman Ali fight but gawd dang who in there right mind would get in the ring with Forman...the guy is just a wrecking machine,,, it was interesting to see the match ups in that era ali had a rough time with Frasier and Norton but seemed to handle guys like Forman but Frasier and Norton couldn't handle Forman... great fights.

My goodness I have also been watching Suger Ray fights. my favorite being Ray and Duran 1 that was just a friggin war Ray has balls of steel to fight Duran in Duran's style... I thoroughly enjoyed that fight much more than the second one ... they just basically beat the crap out of each other its amazing to me they went the distance... one of the greatest fights ever!!

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":35zqzmdi said:
chris98251":35zqzmdi said:
LTH":35zqzmdi said:
chris98251":35zqzmdi said:

But

as well there was never another Forman Ali fight but gawd dang who in there right mind would get in the ring with Forman...the guy is just a wrecking machine,,, it was interesting to see the match ups in that era ali had a rough time with Frasier and Norton but seemed to handle guys like Forman but Frasier and Norton couldn't handle Forman... great fights.

My goodness I have also been watching Suger Ray fights. my favorite being Ray and Duran 1 that was just a friggin war Ray has balls of steel to fight Duran in Duran's style... I thoroughly enjoyed that fight much more than the second one ... they just basically beat the crap out of each other its amazing to me they went the distance... one of the greatest fights ever!!

Watch the Thomas Hearns Marvin Hagler Bouts, Sugar Ray fought them also as he moved up in weight to do so, but really if you want to see classic fights with heart presented as well as really tough men that just would not quit.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":1i44cybk said:
LTH":1i44cybk said:
chris98251":1i44cybk said:
LTH":1i44cybk said:

But

Watch the Thomas Hearns Marvin Hagler Bouts, Sugar Ray fought them also as he moved up in weight to do so, but really if you want to see classic fights with heart presented as well as really tough men that just would not quit.

Ive watched all of them Great fights we may never see better boxing

toffee

Reaction score
Interestingly, Norton claimed that he broke Ali's jaw in the 12th round not the 1st, Ali's PR machine wanted to say it was broken in the 1st to make Ali look super human being.

But the fight I really would like to see Holyfield fight Tyson a few years earlier, ie at Tyson's peak, and before Holyfield bulked up, some said with steroid. When they fought, they were about the same size, with Holyfield every bit as quick as Tyson.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Mayweather should get some sort of humanitarian award. He pretty much destroyed the sport so men don't have to go through such battle any longer (sarcasm).

You guys in this thread seem to know the sport. Probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but if you've not seen the Gatti-Ward trilogy...man, youtube that madness ASAP. . Esp fight 1, 9th round. I boxed...and rd 9 is difficult to watch, even for me. Warriors.

Another epic battle ...so epic I can't even begin to put it into words was Diego Corrales vs. Jose luis Castillo. Maybe the greatest fight I've ever witnessed.