Kearse playing ahead of Tyler and Richardson

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
"Playing ahead" is a stretch, how often are we in a two WR set? ..........and if we are don't you want your best blocking WR's in the game?

All I care about is if there's a big pass play dialed up, you know damn well Lockett's in the game........and hopefully by week 8, Richardson as well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I went through some formation statistics some time back and I think the Hawks are in a 3 WR set about 48% of the time over the last 4 years. That doesn't mean that the 3rd WR isn't a TE...it just means he's not lined up in-line. 2013 was ironically where we ran the least amount of 3 WR sets. Last year it went up to roughly half the time, if I recall correctly.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
austinslater25":1lby6u1w said:
vin.couve12":1lby6u1w said:
Ridiculous notions in this thread. He's a glider who's exceptionally strong and rather wide shouldered for a WR and will run through defenders for extra yards and 1st downs on short passes. He's not the quickest WR out there for sure, but if you need a play downfield when everyone's covered, there's only a handful of WRs in the game I'd throw it to before Kearse.

FYI, he dropped exactly 1 pass last year to Baldwin's and Lockett's 2 drops. He also had the same drop rate as Baldwin the year before during the regular season. He's crucified for the 2 drops in the GB and somehow blamed for RW throwing into triple coverage on another. Beyond that, there's a certain level of insanity or slow learning as to what a player has done vs simply what people believe just....because.

[youtube]hN61MojQjrQ[/youtube]

You're off your rocker regarding the late season comments as well. Just plain certifiable section 8.

I particularly like that TD on Norman even though the other one is better in many ways. :lol:

How about the third down drop that probably seals the SB against NE?

Every writer, announcer, and general football fan in the country called that a great PBU by Butler. All except a certain percentage of Hawks fans, who need someone to blame for their emotions.

I'm not reading the rest...

mrt144

Reaction score
Throwdown":2x39dveh said:
He's always had a hard time separating, and always moved like a lineman. But somehow he always makes those plays, I don't get it.

Appreciate don't player hate.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":2gjosqg0 said:
Throwdown":2gjosqg0 said:
He's always had a hard time separating, and always moved like a lineman. But somehow he always makes those plays, I don't get it.

Well if you ever played sports, players that want it more win out a lot more then those just showing up, Kearse seems to want it.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":3kjp6ygq said:
mrt144":3kjp6ygq said:
Throwdown":3kjp6ygq said:

Well if you ever played sports players that want it more win out a lot more then those just showing up, Kearse seems to want it.

Then theres those like Percy who rest on their athleticism laurels and don't ever develop. I was like Percy with way less athleticism.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kearly":4hyq00il said:
The biggest victim of SBXLIX was Kearse. If Seattle wins that game, his epic last minute catch goes into NFL lore like David Tyree's helmet catch.

But they probably do win if he catches that easy third down ball he dropped. I think that's why Kearse is so polorizing. He's really good at times and really bad at times. He's gotten better for sure though.

Ozzy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":6ccfc8ct said:
austinslater25":6ccfc8ct said:
vin.couve12":6ccfc8ct said:
Ridiculous notions in this thread. He's a glider who's exceptionally strong and rather wide shouldered for a WR and will run through defenders for extra yards and 1st downs on short passes. He's not the quickest WR out there for sure, but if you need a play downfield when everyone's covered, there's only a handful of WRs in the game I'd throw it to before Kearse.

FYI, he dropped exactly 1 pass last year to Baldwin's and Lockett's 2 drops. He also had the same drop rate as Baldwin the year before during the regular season. He's crucified for the 2 drops in the GB and somehow blamed for RW throwing into triple coverage on another. Beyond that, there's a certain level of insanity or slow learning as to what a player has done vs simply what people believe just....because.

You're off your rocker regarding the late season comments as well. Just plain certifiable section 8.

I particularly like that TD on Norman even though the other one is better in many ways. :lol:

Every writer, announcer, and general football fan in the country called that a great PBU by Butler. All except a certain percentage of Hawks fans, who need someone to blame for their emotions.

Lol ok. It was a ball he should of caught. I've seen no one say otherwise. I never blamed Kearse it was one of many plays they would back and we had a multitude of guys go down with injuries. I always like the I'm better than so other fan angle while falling prey to emotion themselves. Carry on i guess.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3p1tcgdo said:
I went through some formation statistics some time back and I think the Hawks are in a 3 WR set about 48% of the time over the last 4 years. That doesn't mean that the 3rd WR isn't a TE...it just means he's not lined up in-line. 2013 was ironically where we ran the least amount of 3 WR sets. Last year it went up to roughly half the time, if I recall correctly.

I just read somewhere that Baldwin had 797 snaps last year, Kearse 770, and Lockett had 683. Lockett also didn't really break into the line up until around game 4. The last half of the year we spread it out, and I'd venture to say our percentage of 3 WR sets went way up. It's also a formation that Lynch ran the most efficiently out of.

Kearse is our best blocking WR, he's the best at high pointing and getting contested balls. That's a different skill set from Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson. It gives us variety and better likely hood of favorable matchups.

I can see the snaps evening out somewhat this year, but Kearse has more value than just his production indicates. He's probably the most clutch guy we have, I can think of the NFCCG with GB, NFCCG with SF, and at least one game vs. Carolina that he won by himself.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
austinslater25":2nps6ddo said:
vin.couve12":2nps6ddo said:
austinslater25":2nps6ddo said:
vin.couve12":2nps6ddo said:

Lol ok. It was a ball he should of caught. I've seen no one say otherwise. I never blamed Kearse it was one of many plays they would back and we had a multitude of guys go down with injuries. I always like the I'm better than so other fan angle while falling prey to emotion themselves. Carry on i guess.

Give it a look around the web and see how people call it. NE fans will call it a PBU through and through, but that's the be expected. Not all Hawk fans agree, but the objective accounts generally account for a lot.

This is a still, but this is also right when the ball arrives. You can't create that hand cradle when one hand is batted away. As about objective as I could possibly be from a pure football standpoint, is that it's an extremely difficult ball to catch. What is absolutely is not, is a drop.

AineKearseMalcolmButlerSuperBowl85M jYuJLtal

You could just quit beating around the bush and just say you don't like him....

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Actually, still not done yet...

Going back to "the play," a slant pass is inherently one of the more dangerous passes if the ball isn't throw directly between the numbers of the WR. If they wanted an actual safe call on that down, then you throw that fade where only the WR has a chance to catch it with a toe tap or no one does. One could argue that maybe they were worried about Browner seeing that one coming and lining up outside as well, but regardless, when you throw a slant you know that every time there is either a safety or other DB directly behind the slant route. Again, if it's not directly on the numbers, it's inaccurate and therefore the threat of a negative play increases exponentially. If you want a safe throw on that down, because you have another, you get two guys on either end who can catch a fade(they only had one Browner, not two), and pick the best matchup. I heard a bit about Bevell trying to defend himself for that one on a game last year and his...self-defense is that no one saw it coming. It was just ridiculous.

WHY YOU GOTTA BRING UP OLD ISH!?!?!?!?! :pukeface:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He might get more snaps but will he get more targets? I could see Kearse run blocking on a much higher percent of his snaps than Richardson. When P-Rich gets in he will be getting targeted this year. The guy has speed and will get behind defenses with the fear of Lockett and Baldwin.

I think Lockett will have the #1 targets of all WR's be years end.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Kearse and Baldwin have both been durable. That's easy to overlook in September but as the season progresses we'll average one player sent to the IR every other game as well as countless short-term injuries. If the young guys can stay on the field then they'll get the opportunity to develop rapport with Wilson too.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2en0yg3l said:
He might get more snaps but will he get more targets? I could see Kearse run blocking on a much higher percent of his snaps than Richardson. When P-Rich gets in he will be getting targeted this year. The guy has speed and will get behind defenses with the fear of Lockett and Baldwin.

I think Lockett will have the #1 targets of all WR's be years end.
Throughout the NFL, even in more modern, pass mania terms, how many passes are successful beyond 20-30 yards? How many are even thrown...as a percentage? And why is that?

I obviously understand what that type of player does for an offense in terms of what it does to the safeties, but what if that player is 175 pounds soaking wet and can't get off the jam? Does that not buy the safety more time? What if the corner is faster? How many corners are faster than 4.41 or whatever Richardson ran? What does it matter if they can wall him off to the sideline and they weigh 190 or more?

An idea isn't reality. There's a time and a place, but it isn't bombs away like on a video game. P-Rich in a pass heavy offense where he wouldn't need to block and he can line up off the LOS would be a much more effective P-Rich. As it stands, you have to utilize his strengths and weaknesses when and where you can. He's a long, extremely lean, fast player with very, very little strength to speak of.

He's kind of like the anti-Kearse, but with less overall use in overall football terms for an offense than runs 50% of the time or more.

Strengths and weaknesses and pros and cons....

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ioucm2m said:
One of these days we are going to lose Kearse.

Then all of you are going to miss him.

Yes, he had that really crappy game against GB, but I think it was his catch that won it for us too.

Frankly, I give up. Without Kearse we don't get to that SB because we don't beat SF.

That alone should be enough for you to fete him.

At least it isn't as bad now, he earned his spot and he is someone you want there. He catches the ball when he is covered and very few guys can do that.

And he might be one of the greatest clutch players that Seahawks have EVER had. And I grew up watching Brian Blades.

Finally, he isn't afraid to get hit.

Color me impressed, TH. I didn't think you had it in you. :lol:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Threedee":akx2d18j said:
Kearse had us winning SB 49 until Bevell nullified his catch.

Wasn't it the X Licks effing hero CB who blatantly tripped him on Kearse on a play that had TD written all over it?

Ozzy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":zw1szcj6 said:
Actually, still not done yet...

Going back to "the play," a slant pass is inherently one of the more dangerous passes if the ball isn't throw directly between the numbers of the WR. If they wanted an actual safe call on that down, then you throw that fade where only the WR has a chance to catch it with a toe tap or no one does. One could argue that maybe they were worried about Browner seeing that one coming and lining up outside as well, but regardless, when you throw a slant you know that every time there is either a safety or other DB directly behind the slant route. Again, if it's not directly on the numbers, it's inaccurate and therefore the threat of a negative play increases exponentially. If you want a safe throw on that down, because you have another, you get two guys on either end who can catch a fade(they only had one Browner, not two), and pick the best matchup. I heard a bit about Bevell trying to defend himself for that one on a game last year and his...self-defense is that no one saw it coming. It was just ridiculous.

WHY YOU GOTTA BRING UP OLD ISH!?!?!?!?! :pukeface:

I've watched that play dozens of times and it should of been caught. It wasn't the easiest catch in the world but he should of caught it. the contact was weak and he should of had it. We will just have to continue to agree to disagree I guess.

The point with Kearse is people are so split on him is exactly because of everything we've seen here. He can be fantastic at times and down right terrible at times. I would argue(and already have) that he was much more consistent last year and definitely improved. He still doesnt come up with balls that a good receiver would come up with. We can argue if they are classified as drops as an official stat but whatever you want to call them he doesn't come up with as many as he should. He will also come up with a ball that maybe no one on the roster would come up with at times. That's Kearse in a nutshell. He sort of runs the gauntlet on good, bad and in between. He's even that way in his effort. On tape sometimes his effort is best on the field. He can be an excellent run blocker which is well established. He can also completely fall asleep in that regard and on more than one occasion I've seen someone like Lockett sprinting down field trying to block someone while Kearse quits on the play and disengages his man well before the play is over.

I like Kearse and I'm glad he's on the roster. He has chemistry with Wilson and balances out our smallish group. I don't see how Richardson doesn't pass him up in targets as the year wears on though. Kearse is easily the least talented receiver in the main rotation imo.

Latest posts