Kaepernick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":25z8o3wo said:
Lots on this in the first two points of the Ten Things part of King's column today: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/15/buff ... peter-king

(Fwiw I wouldn't call myself a King fan, but save for his Pats obsession he annoys me a lot less than he seems to annoy others -- although I wouldn't dispute what's annoying about him)

He's not terrible as a reporter, his big issue is how self-important his stuff comes off.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
There are other potential backups out there that would fit the bill better than Kaepernick. Thumbs down to this idea.

massari

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2wu3d1p3 said:
There are other potential backups out there that would fit the bill better than Kaepernick. Thumbs down to this idea.
So if Wilson goes down, who's available that fits the bill better than Kap to take the Hawks to the super bowl?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
massari":1qndslx0 said:
Siouxhawk":1qndslx0 said:
So if Wilson goes down, who's available that fits the bill better than Kap to take the Hawks to the super bowl?
The one who was our starter in '11 and our backup from '12-'15. Thank you for asking.

massari

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1oqannlm said:
massari":1oqannlm said:
Siouxhawk":1oqannlm said:
The one who was our starter in '11 and our backup from '12-'15. Thank you for asking.
Your loyalty is admirable.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
massari":e94evj2w said:
Siouxhawk":e94evj2w said:
massari":e94evj2w said:
Siouxhawk":e94evj2w said:
I'd be satisfied with a training camp showdown between those two. I'd find that very interesting.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2039qwdy said:
massari":2039qwdy said:
Siouxhawk":2039qwdy said:
massari":2039qwdy said:
I'd be satisfied with a training camp showdown between those two. I'd find that very interesting.

I liked Tarvaris Jackson as much as the next Seahawks fan. He will never lead a team to the Super Bowl. Period.

I do wish we still had his All-Pro coin flip calling talents, though.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
I find it quite simple. Did you guys meaningfully upgrade your O line? He needs time, If that line doesn't give him time he will 100% be a liability.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":1csoyi1k said:
I find it quite simple. Did you guys meaningfully upgrade your O line? He needs time, If that line doesn't give him time he will 100% be a liability.
That's actually a solid point. Time will tell. I think they did, but it hasn't been proven yet.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Mods, can we merge the thread below with this one?

There was some good analysis in the thread, plus it showed fans' viewpoints over the past several weeks leading up to his move. :3-1:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=136409

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Here in the Bay, the rumors of Kaep going to SEA are at a pitch.

Reasons this would make sense: Kaep's QB rating, the fact that he did improve somewhat in 2016, and most of all, the fact that the culture would have Kaep intensely familiar with Seattle's playbook. How many snaps the backup would play depends on how healthy Russ really is, but even Blaine Gabbert has a job. Pickings are lean.

Reasons I hate: The fact that people from POTUS on down have made it a political issue with this guy. I see it more as a fan and marketing distraction, compounded by Kaep's diss on Seattle fans in that earphone commercial. And pressure from MSM to take Kaep b/c Seattle would be more "tolerant" (see 2013 commercial).

It's complicated. Like I said, if he came in at league minimum for a camp body, why not.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":33lasszm said:

Reasons this would make sense: Kaep's QB rating, the fact that he did improve somewhat in 2016, and most of all, the fact that the culture would have Kaep intensely familiar with Seattle's playbook. How many snaps the backup would play depends on how healthy Russ really is, but even Blaine Gabbert has a job. Pickings are lean.

Reasons I hate: The fact that people from POTUS on down have made it a political issue with this guy. I see it more as a fan and marketing distraction, compounded by Kaep's diss on Seattle fans in that earphone commercial. And pressure from MSM to take Kaep b/c Seattle would be more "tolerant" (see 2013 commercial).

It's complicated. Like I said, if he came in at league minimum for a camp body, why not.

Although his TD/INT ratio improved and is largely responsible for his good QB rating, Kaep still completed less than 60% of his passes. He's been inaccurate throughout his career. Plus he still has this run-first mentality when plays break down, not the eyes downfield like Russell does. He reminds me a lot of Jake Locker, great arm, big running threat, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passing. He thrived behind a great offensive line, something he won't have here.

I'm hearing rumors that his heart is no longer in the game. His GF denies his agent's claim that several teams have expressed interest, says that no one has. Even if he didn't have all the personal baggage he has, it would be a big risk to bring in a guy that has lost his desire to play and is just here for a paycheck.

chris98251

Reaction score
Any time a Girl friend speaks for a player there typically is a problem somewhere.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RiverDog":3v8rl779 said:
His GF denies his agent's claim that several teams have expressed interest, says that no one has.

Harry Edwards is not Kaepernick's agent. He's not even an agent. He's a consultant for the 49ers.

Kaepernick's GF tweeted objecting to Edward's being identified as Kaepernick's "adviser." She said that if his adviser was getting contacted by teams he would have heard about it (suggesting he hadn't).

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RiverDog":2m2usjpo said:
SantaClaraHawk":2m2usjpo said:

Although his TD/INT ratio improved and is largely responsible for his good QB rating, Kaep still completed less than 60% of his passes. He's been inaccurate throughout his career. Plus he still has this run-first mentality when plays break down, not the eyes downfield like Russell does. He reminds me a lot of Jake Locker, great arm, big running threat, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passing. He thrived behind a great offensive line, something he won't have here.

I'm hearing rumors that his heart is no longer in the game. His GF denies his agent's claim that several teams have expressed interest, says that no one has. Even if he didn't have all the personal baggage he has, it would be a big risk to bring in a guy that has lost his desire to play and is just here for a paycheck.
Be that as it may, he is still better than a few starters from last year (even PFF agrees with this). As a backup he'd be a windfall. There aren't many bottom tier starters that are on rosters as backups. Usually they are starting (despite not necessarily deserving it).

And additionally, one should take the weapons around him into account. Kaepernick did not have the likes of Graham or Edlemen or mediocre players at any skill position. All were well below average.

He is pretty careful with the football (career INT% is the same as Tom Brady's) and teams always have to scheme specially for him despite his flaws because of his absurd athletic ability. As a backup that would be a great thing to have.

If I were Seattle and he was willing to sign a reasonable contract, I wouldn't think twice about it. Especially becsuse the market is weak enough foe him due to "certain things" that they'd get a great discount.

NINEster

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2z8fqjc9 said:
massari":2z8fqjc9 said:
Siouxhawk":2z8fqjc9 said:

If it weren't for Jackson, the 49ers might still be winless at Century Link this decade.

RiverDog

Reaction score
massari":29cjj30s said:
Siouxhawk":29cjj30s said:

Simple answer: No one, including Kaepernick. If Russell goes out for the season, we're screwed. Most teams that lose their franchise QB never make it to the Super Bowl. Brady is the only QB I can think of that came in after the starter (Bledsoe) went down and took his team to the SB. That is, unless you want to go back to someone like Earl Morrall.

The Breh

Reaction score
I think Kaep having a team support and believe in him, ESPECIALLY from a former rival if given the chance would relish the thought of shutting every damn last naysayer up.
People in here suggesting TJack ??
Kaep has proven legs, TJack has proven he's willing to hold on to the ball with zero peripheral vision and take a sack.
Oh yeah-he has domestic violence issues and whatnot but that pales in comparison to Kaeps kneeling :sarcasm_off:
Folks just have a hard time swallowing truth while it dissolves on their tongue. The bitterness grows and leaves them grasping for irrational conclusions.
People are frightened to admit the possibility of being wrong if their lives and social beliefs depend on it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The Breh":eohdqqgw said:
I think Kaep having a team support and believe in him, ESPECIALLY from a former rival if given the chance would relish the thought of shutting every damn last naysayer up.
People in here suggesting TJack ??
Kaep has proven legs, TJack has proven he's willing to hold on to the ball with zero peripheral vision and take a sack.
Oh yeah-he has domestic violence issues and whatnot but that pales in comparison to Kaeps kneeling :sarcasm_off:
Folks just have a hard time swallowing truth while it dissolves on their tongue. The bitterness grows and leaves them grasping for irrational conclusions.
People are frightened to admit the possibility of being wrong if their lives and social beliefs depend on it.
I'd take Tarvaris over Kaep every time. Team knows him, he knows the team and the system and I just think he's a better fit all the way around. And he was exonerated of all domestic violence charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts