Reaction score
From Bob Nightingale’s Twitter account…

Top 5 profits(2022)
Mariners:$83.8M
SFGiants:$74.9
RedSox:$71.6
Orioles:$64.7
A's:$62.2

Can’t claim “poverty” anymore when you are the most profitable team in MLB last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mariners have built a contender the right way.

They have, but that doesn't mean when you're close you don't spend money to put you over the top.

Stanton and Dipoto have beat the drum of "little ol' mid market team trying to do things the right way because they can't spend like the big clubs."

That's BS. Seattle is a top 5-7 market with the most cash on hand, as we're now seeing. DH, bullpen, another outfielder, PLENTY of spots they could have spent money the last two off seasons.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think they see DH as a developmental position at this point. Keep guys cycling through at bats and keep positional wear and tear down. I’d rather have a true DH but I see the value on both sides.

Top payroll spenders don’t always equal success.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
What a novel concept! Put a competitive product on the field, and the bucks fly in!
Just imagine the $$$ they’d make if they played in a World Series.

Unfortunately John Stanton and the ownership group is very shortsighted and tight, and only sees the $$$ going out and not potential huge $$$ coming in if they spent $$$ to fill the holes offensively.

I would love for them to prove me wrong, but he and Dipoto both said for the last couple of years THIS OFFSEASON was the one where they were willing to go all in on spending, and then did nothing in getting the couple of quality FA big bats that were out there to get.