John Clayton passed away today

TwilightError

Reaction score
Rest in Peace John Clayton. His segments were the ones where I learned most about the NFL. Probably the most important voice of this sport for me.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Very sad news. I was shocked like most of you. Paul Silvi of King 5 news had a nice segment talking about what he meant to him and his crew covering the Seahawks post game shows, including Big Walt and others. It was clear he loved his family first, his wife Pat, and then football. But what I loved most was hearing Paul say what a complete gentleman he was. Like some of you have noted, you may not have always agreed with him (in fact, even before we all found out Russell was to be traded, he was so sure he wouldn't be traded he became cantankerous to anyone who would even entertain the thought which I felt was odd), he was wonderful to listen to which I did quite frequently on weekends when I was out and about driving around and we all heard his voice as recently as this past week when the news broke about Russell's trade and how he was forced to eat crow and he did it admirably. I listened to his interview with Bob and Dave on KIRO 710 Sports Radio to face the music and he did it with aplomb.

(Side note: I heard he was battling some illness but didn't think anything of it. Does anyone know what he succumbed to? 67 is too young.)

He was a Steelers fan which we can forgive him for, but more importantly he was a Seahawks fan, was fantastic at his job and it appears was a wonderful man to everyone he came in contact with.

And yes. He just so happens to be the star of the best ESPN commercial bar none.

RIP Professor.

[youtube]XvXRaSvxmqg[/youtube]

orca

Reaction score
RIP Professor :cry:

If I remember it correctly he was battling cancer for some years. Apparently it became worse recently and the damn illness won in the end. My heart goes out to his family!

Jac

Reaction score
He was a part of my childhood. His articles were my favorite back in the days you used to get all your Seahawks news in print newspapers. When you saw John Clayton was the author, you knew there was going to be some news nuggets and/or some insightful opinions that would be worth reading over and over.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
John was one of my favorites and I'll miss him dearly.

Loved how he would absorb harmless kidding about his spreadsheets.

He was a nerd that just loved football and made a highly successful career centered around both.

RIP, brother.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sad news. I enjoyed his saturday morning show on KIRO 710. Really good insider info on Seahawks and around the NFL. He used to live very near my parents' house in Renton. I would see him running near my neighborhood on a regular basis when I would visit them.

RIP John Clayton.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Sad news, I'll miss hearing him on 710.

I'm thinking of his family and hope they know that he was liked by so many people.

RIP John Clayton.

Jville

Reaction score
Not what I wanted to hear or read this morning.

John Clayton is Irreplaceable.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Rest easy John.

Clayton helped get me through a divorce back in 08' with his humor, quick wit and second to none coverage of the Hawks. I'm going to miss him on 710

RIP Sir!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":3an22q80 said:
RIP PROFESSOR.

Damn. Right after the big trade I was listening to him on 710 and my FIRST thought was "John is getting old. I hope he is doing well." because something didn't sound...right. Anyone else hear/feel it? I should be used to this stuff by now. And I wish Powerball numbers would hit me like that. What did he die from? Nevermind I will Google it. Damn, I liked that old guy. :cry:

I heard it in his voice too, and was shocked when he said he was going to take a day off. Sad news. I was always worried about how he was going to handle it when Pat passed away, never thinking it would be John first.

He was wrong now and then, and I use to comment on it, but he was mostly right, and like mentioned above, be was a source of pure football knowledge.

God Bless John Clayton, you lived the life.

chris98251

Reaction score
Really Enjoyed him, he and the rest of the ESPN crew back in the day made it fun to be a sports fan.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
I actually met him in of all places @ the Pittsburgh airport. As kind and jovial as one could imagine. RIP to a legend.