J'Marcus Webb signs

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At present LT still appears to be a major need. Arguments can be made for every other position on the line.

pehawk

Reaction score
My gut tells me this will be a quasi coup. I think Webb has game he just lacked the right role. I also like the general rule of; if I can't afford a good guard just give me a big one.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This guy is complete garbage. Hope it was a very cheap deal

lukerguy

Reaction score
cream of the crop baby... haha

well if you can't tell by now Cable looks for attributes others don't seem to. He's confident he can mould them. My only problem is continuity. I think it's important and we haven't had much.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Not that it's a huge sample size, but Sowell grades out on PFF as almost as good as Okung last year.

Webb grades well ahead of Gilliam and Britt last year. In fact, he's only a few points behind Sweezy.

Both Webb and Sowell have higher grades at pass pro than run block.

Stranger things have happened in the NFL...maybe both of these guys can come up big for us this year. Add a couple of high pick O-Line draftees into the mix, and with a little luck, we could have an average O-Line this year...our offense could be HUGE this year.

Oh yeah, and GO OKUNG! Get that huge contract so we get a 3rd round pick for you! Good luck Russell!

Willyeye

Reaction score
DavidSeven":qzh03ghi said:
Scottemojo":qzh03ghi said:
This is a replacement for Bailey. Nothing less, nothing more.

This.

Neither of these two OL signings addresses starting LT. Swing T/Gs to replace Bailey. That's it.

Think positive buddy. Both of these signings have potential. There are reasons why neither of these guys have excelled. Maybe the time has come for both of them. Maybe Gilliam will be the LT. Maybe they'll still sign Beachum or Okung.

Either way, both of these guys have a lot more potential than Alvin Bailey, and even he did a pretty good job subbing for Okung last year.

kearly

Reaction score
PC/JS give up one Alvin Bailey, and replace him with not one but two veterans. Why two? Because while we all like Glow and expect him to start at RG, he's unproven. And Britt is probably going to end up getting benched at some point this season.

Even though it sounds like these additions have mostly sucked, I like that Seattle is filling their bench spots with veterans as opposed to recent years when the OL room was almost 100% home-grown. Part of the problem was that Seattle got over-committed to youth at OL, you need a mix of young players and vets together.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":m7n7g0xm said:
PC/JS give up one Alvin Bailey, and replace him with not one but two veterans. Why two? Because while we all like Glow and expect him to start at RG, he's unproven. And Britt is probably going to end up getting benched at some point this season.

Even though it sounds like these additions have mostly sucked, I like that Seattle is filling their bench spots with veterans as opposed to recent years when the OL room was almost 100% home-grown. Part of the problem was that Seattle got over-committed to youth at OL, you need a mix of young players and vets together.

Excellent addition.

Last year Seattle swung on the trapeze without a safety net.

This year they are bringing in some guys to catch us should we fall. I still think we'll swing with the young guys. I expect Glowinski, Gilliam and Sokoli to start for us. But if they struggle, we've got some replacement value depth to take over.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
kearly":3axvfcx4 said:

This is why I'm feeling more optimistic about our OL this year over last year. These guys aren't world beaters but add vet savvy and competition from guys who've played offense at the NFL level. Would still like to see us add a young tackle and center in the draft, but I'm hopeful that this year we won't come out of preseason game 1 feeling like the sky is falling.

drdiags

Reaction score
Maybe Cable was sleeping while these additions were being made?

Okay, I will show myself the door. I'm here all week, try the veal!

chris98251

Reaction score
Or they are camp vets to help teach whatever young ones we have and are cut loose before the regular season.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm pretty pleased and am considering a small celebration, but I may wait to see if we do anything at LT before or during the draft. As for Webb and Sowell, it's great to see these vets add depth and competition to our OL. I keep thinking that just a few sustained drives in the 4th quarter of 2-3 games last year would have lead to an entirely different season. These types of additions improve the chances of those types of drives this upcoming season, so that's pretty cool.

I love drafting young guys to compete for an eventual starting gig, but having vets who can keep our OL at "league average" in the meantime is just awesome news. I'm not sure if we get LT sorted for the long term this offseason or not, but we really seem to be moving in the right direction.

Huzzah!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
In my head as it stands right now:

Gilliam, Sokoli, Lewis, Glow, Webb

Britt
Poole or Sowell
1st or 2nd rounder
4th rounder or Nowak

Britt and Poole would be the new swing players and I'm not so sure that Poole doesn't win the RT spot. He looked like he had some upside there last preseason, which would render Webb as a swing player. The 1st or 2nd rounder would be a LT to compete with Gilliam. The 4th rounder would be a C to compete with Nowak where both players could also play some G.

Either that or we actually keep 10 this year. And there could be some out of the blue "hangry" UDFA to steal a spot too.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":rpm3mh82 said:
This guy is complete garbage. Hope it was a very cheap deal

Yeah, he's just as bad as Sweezy, but I'm sure he's a lot less expensive than Sweezy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":2n6b2s1z said:

I like this line of thinking. Both guard spots must absolutely be more competitive, and I like that we'll mix in some players who already have some base tools. Generally, guys like Frank Omiyale, Paul McQuistan and Breno Giacomini have fared better early on than guys we've developed from the ground up. Rookies are a 2-3 year project under this staff.

That said, we still need a coupe viable starting pieces. It's a poo poo platter of fringe parts right now.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Gio":34u8ikkd said:
I think he ll add depth too . But aint bad , we have signed few big men. Lets see them on the field before we judge them
What a great idea, let's see them preform before judging. I get real tired of all of the experts in here that know more than the front office.
I'm sure none of them make the bank Pete and John do, why don't they quit their day jobs and go into coaching if they know so much. It's a constant theme, ever thread, every day...

mikeak

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1rxdxowc said:
These signings don't really change our need to draft 2-3 linemen, but it takes away some pressure to draft them way earlier than they deserve (basically every OL pick in the last 5 years).

Disagree

We saw in this year's playoff that offensive and defensive lines win games when it matters. The pressure remains to draft O-line early and spend huge draft capital on them.

If anything the FA season tells me we need to spend zero draft picks on WR, RB - we are set there. That should give us room to move around in the draft as people want to move up for those and we can move 2-3 spots and get extra picks and get O-line help

Now what these FA signings tells me is that we can and should draft starters but if they take a few extra months to develop then at least we have someone to fill the hole

Willyeye

Reaction score
mikeak":31i98nwu said:
bjornanderson21":31i98nwu said:
These signings don't really change our need to draft 2-3 linemen, but it takes away some pressure to draft them way earlier than they deserve (basically every OL pick in the last 5 years).

Disagree

We saw in this year's playoff that offensive and defensive lines win games when it matters. The pressure remains to draft O-line early and spend huge draft capital on them.

If anything the FA season tells me we need to spend zero draft picks on WR, RB - we are set there. That should give us room to move around in the draft as people want to move up for those and we can move 2-3 spots and get extra picks and get O-line help

Now what these FA signings tells me is that we can and should draft starters but if they take a few extra months to develop then at least we have someone to fill the hole

If they can pick up a good but inexpensive 3rd down RB in FA, they don't really need to draft one, but it might be a good idea given cap space and the fact that we don't really know yet how durable Rawls will be.

9 picks: OT, OG, LB, pass rushing DT, C, DE, RB, CB, QB