JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

WarHawks

Reaction score
Stroud is an accurate thrower and if your looking for a prototypical pocket quarterback he's great. If you're looking for something more like Lamar Jackson but don't have a top 10-15 pick then McCarthy may be a better option.
Yes, that's what I want. Someone who can tilt the field with his arm and his legs if need be.

Weadoption

Reaction score
he throws a very catchable ball with touch. Not a rocket arm, but that’s such an overrated trait imo the way modern passing offenses are trending.
Can’t wait to see how he does at the combine.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Here's yet another NFL mock draft showing JJ McCarthy is a 1st Rounder, this time from Fox Sports

I think it's safe to say JJ McCarthy IS very likely to be a first round draft pick. That doesn't mean he can't slide to round two or even move up in round one depending on his combine performance. Anyone saying he's a third round pick or worse clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.
I'm not saying he's not a 1st rd pick, but mock drafts mean nothing. Last year Levis was top 5 pick. The year before Malik Willis was a sure fire first round pick. People make mock drafts to get more clicks.

Personally, I don't see it with JJ. You do. We will see what NFL teams think in a few months.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Who has he produced that makes you say that? Luck and no one else.
Jim Harbaugh coached Andrew Luck not John Harbaugh. Jim also developed Colin Kaepernick and the jury is out on McCarthy.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I HATE this idea.

He is a much lesser version of the Patriot's Mac Jones. His college career was carried by an NFL caliber defensive front that consistently gave him good field position. A game manager that will fold at the first moment he has to go off script. He isn't going to bring you back from a two-score deficit. His absolute ceiling is less than the Giant's Daniel Jones because NFL linebackers will have no problem chasing down his designed runs. I couldn't say NO more emphatically. He is one of those guys that will be in constant panic mode once the league figures out that he can't deal with a disguised blitz. I think he is the worst 1st round mock pick in the last decade. Not just at quarterback but for ANY position. He will be out of the league within four years (once his rookie deal turns into something more expensive). There are at least ten college quarterbacks that I would much rather prefer. I wouldn't even waste a sixth-round flyer on him just because of the media distraction he would unintentionally albeit inherently create for the quarterback room. He would be the worst first round selection since Aaron Curry. Trust me on this one. John Schnieder is much smarter than this. He wants a quarterback that will "tip the table".
Mac Jones was a 4 star high school recruit, JJ McCarthy was a 5 star.
Jones had one good season at Alabama, McCarthy had 2 good seasons at Michigan.
The Michigan defense wasn't even in the top 10 for takeaways in 2023 so how exactly was McCarthy gifted all this "good field position"??
McCarthy was a game manager only because that is all Harbaugh asked him to do with a run heavy offense.
How would you or anyone know what McCarthys' ceiling is at this point??
How are NFL linebackers going to consistently track down McCarthy with 4.4-4.5 speed??
McCarthy is highly intelligent, so what makes you think he would have any more difficulty than other QB recognizing blitzes??

The combine is coming up so we'll see how he does. I suspect he'll do well and turn some heads.

At this point there is no way for you or I or anyone to know how successful McCarthy will be in the NFL. I do think he has all the tangibles in terms of size, speed and intelligence plus the intangibles of attitude and competitiveness to make it. But I don't know for sure and neither do you.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If he has a good combine, which I expect he will given his athleticism, he could easily climb the boards. I've seen several pundits predicting him to go to the Hawks at 16. He's only 21. His ceiling isn't even measurable yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Nah, he played for the almighty Michigan, he clearly floats in mid-air and should be the #1 pick :rolleyes:
Never said he was the #1 pick but he clearly could be a 1st round pick and people saying they wouldn't even take him in the 6th round just look like haters.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I know, I'm just messing with you.
And let's be real, we are 3 months away from the draft. SO much will change. Esp. at QB. This happens every single year for decades. A QB goes from under the radar and/or being called a 2nd or 3rd rounder............boom, they get taking in the 1st.

Mick063

Reaction score
Mac Jones was a 4 star high school recruit, JJ McCarthy was a 5 star.
Jones had one good season at Alabama, McCarthy had 2 good seasons at Michigan.
The Michigan defense wasn't even in the top 10 for takeaways in 2023 so how exactly was McCarthy gifted all this "good field position"??
McCarthy was a game manager only because that is all Harbaugh asked him to do with a run heavy offense.
How would you or anyone know what McCarthys' ceiling is at this point??
How are NFL linebackers going to consistently track down McCarthy with 4.4-4.5 speed??
McCarthy is highly intelligent, so what makes you think he would have any more difficulty than other QB recognizing blitzes??

The combine is coming up so we'll see how he does. I suspect he'll do well and turn some heads.

At this point there is no way for you or I or anyone to know how successful McCarthy will be in the NFL. I do think he has all the tangibles in terms of size, speed and intelligence plus the intangibles of attitude and competitiveness to make it. But I don't know for sure and neither do you.
I trust my eyes. Out of the league within four years. Bookmark it and humiliate me at a later date if you like. He sucks. Would be the worst pick for Seattle since Curry.

If you understand how field position works, you also understand that it isn't reliant on just takeaways. Forcing teams to punt on their side of the field is the most common way that field position is gained.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clearly, some are overrating McCarthy, and MANY are underrating Penix. We'll see. Please keep telling Penix what he CAN'T do. He feeds off of it.

And yes, he will have a better NFL Career than McCarthy. Bookmark that. It's a prediction I'm confident about. It's not a FACT, just what I THINK will happen.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I trust my eyes. Out of the league within four years. Bookmark it and humiliate me at a later date if you like. He sucks. Would be the worst pick for Seattle since Curry.

If you understand how field position works, you also understand that it isn't reliant on just takeaways. Forcing teams to punt on their side of the field is the most common way that field position is gained.
Trust you own eyes eh? I seriously doubt you've watched him enough to make an accurate assessment.
"He sucks." This just makes you sound ignorant.
I understand how field position works, however with B1G teams averaging anywhere from 40 - 48 yards per punt, that short field assumption was less likely. Especially on the backend of their schedule with PSU, Maryland, OSU and Iowa. Not to mention Alabama and Washington. Even when Michigan did have a short field they were more likely to run the ball than throw it (60/40) so any short field they got was not likely to benefit McCarthy as much.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He doesn't suck. But he clearly didn't have to do much with that Running game and defense. How often was he NAILS with the game on the line?

WarHawks

Reaction score
I doubt Penix will be there at 16, so that's why I'm intrigued by JJ. The new hc could trade up however. Literally anything is possible at this point.

Mick063

Reaction score
Trust you own eyes eh? I seriously doubt you've watched him enough to make an accurate assessment.
"He sucks." This just makes you sound ignorant.
I understand how field position works, however with B1G teams averaging anywhere from 40 - 48 yards per punt, that short field assumption was less likely. Especially on the backend of their schedule with PSU, Maryland, OSU and Iowa. Not to mention Alabama and Washington. Even when Michigan did have a short field they were more likely to run the ball than throw it (60/40) so any short field they got was not likely to benefit McCarthy as much.
We get it. You are a Michigan Homie. Your guy won't last four years. Someone had to break it to you. Schneider is smarter than this. Your guy better not sit in the green room. He is going to get the Levis treatment. Levis is better. Bigger arm.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I doubt Penix will be there at 16, so that's why I'm intrigued by JJ. The new hc could trade up however. Literally anything is possible at this point.
No Husky hater here (alum)…gut tells me Penix will be injury red flagged at the Combine and drop accordingly.

It’s not just the Indiana documented injuries, tons of talk of him playing hurt this year and obviously he was all kinds of messed up during the NCG.

WarHawks

Reaction score
No Husky hater here (alum)…gut tells me Penix will be injury red flagged at the Combine and drop accordingly.

It’s not just the Indiana documented injuries, tons of talk of him playing hurt this year and obviously he was all kinds of messed up during the NCG.
That's quite possible I suppose. Would be interesting to see the Hawks pass on him, then watch him tear it up somewhere else. Wouldn't be the first time...