Jarred Kelenic

Chapow

Reaction score
Kelenic has now had 86 at bats in 30 games so far this season. He has 12 hits and 9 walks to go with his 36 strike outs, .140 BA, and .219 OBP. To say he is struggling badly would be quite an understatement. So many of his AB's are just cringe worthy. He flails wildly at pitches no where near the strike zone and then watches a center cut 90 mph fastball go right down middle for strike 3, and then stands there bewildered as to what just happened. He looks completely lost up there most of the time.

He needs to be sent down to Tacoma, and he needs to be sent down yesterday. They've let this go on for too long at this point and I can't help but wonder if it's getting to the point of being detrimental to his development. Let him go down there and hopefully find his swing and build that confidence back up.

And yes, I understand that Haniger is going to be out for quite awhile, and that Kyle Lewis might not be ready yet. I also understand that there aren't really any other great options. I don't care. Kelenic needs to be sent down.

What we do have down in Tacoma is Steven Souza Jr. A 33 year old veteran right fielder with a lot of experience at the Major League level. No, he's not great and I doubt he'll be much of an upgrade, but he did have a couple of solid seasons with Tampa Bay. But at this point it's not really about Souza, it's about Kelenic. Also, what's the point of keeping a guy like Souza around down in Tacoma if you're not going to use him for situations just like this? And you never know, he might be decent, he has been before, and decent is a helluva lot better than what we've seen out of Kelenic so far.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Kelenic’s biggest problem is his “approach” to AB’s sucks which lead to many 0-2, 1-2 counts where pitchers have a big advantage.

He is in his own head and I think he’s hearing from multiple people trying to correct the problem. Need to pick one person he trusts the most and ignore the rest.

Need to send him, Toro, and Moore down to correct the problems, I have no problem setting Up the “Tacoma Shuttle” to light a fire under players who are underperforming who seem to be too comfortable.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Toro or Moore have options left. Indeed, Kelenic needs something. Wednesday, bottom of the 9th he stood there and watched 3 pitches go through the zone with the club on his shoulder. Haven't heard what they will do exactly, but the season is wearing away.

Posted about this a bit in the vs Phillies thread. All those good vibes from the off season are melting away.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Toro or Moore have options left. Indeed, Kelenic needs something. Wednesday, bottom of the 9th he stood there and watched 3 pitches go through the zone with the club on his shoulder. Haven't heard what they will do exactly, but the season is wearing away.

Posted about this a bit in the vs Phillies thread. All those good vibes from the off season are melting away.
Don’t care if Toro or Moore have options. DFA them and see if they clear waivers, if they don’t, oh well. They are below replacement level talent wise at this point, they won’t have a hard time finding equivalent or better talent.

JK is too young to give up on. Send him down let him figure it out in Tacoma.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Kelenic’s biggest problem is his “approach” to AB’s sucks which lead to many 0-2, 1-2 counts where pitchers have a big advantage.

He is in his own head and I think he’s hearing from multiple people trying to correct the problem. Need to pick one person he trusts the most and ignore the rest.

Need to send him, Toro, and Moore down to correct the problems, I have no problem setting Up the “Tacoma Shuttle” to light a fire under players who are underperforming who seem to be too comfortable.
I agree it's his approach (and batting stance). Not to play arm chair coach but he moves around too much in the box, his leg kick is too high, he needs to statue up and be more finesse

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Well it happened. Optioned.
It needed to. And I’m a big JK fan. The talent is there, his head gets in the way. When he squares up a pitch he has one of the highest exit velocities in MLB. Most folks forget this guy is only 22.

His issue is approach and between the ears.
He needs to level out mentally. His highs are too high, and his lows are too low.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Trade him.

Think I'm nuts? Maybe I am. But I guarantee you it would be a win win. Get him with some competent hitting coaches, and his career will improve. Bring in a veteran who can come in and under perform on a bloated contract

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trade him.

Think I'm nuts? Maybe I am. But I guarantee you it would be a win win. Get him with some competent hitting coaches, and his career will improve. Bring in a veteran who can come in and under perform on a bloated contract
No offense, but that is the worst thing you could do.
Kid is only 22, has succeeded at every minor league level he’s been at. Defense and base running were stellar, but this is the MLB and if you want to stay you need to hit.

Hitting coach I think is an issue, but they are always the easiest scapegoat to blame. It’s the “control the zone” concept IMO that is screwing with our young hitters heads, they want them to take pitches early in the count which gets the hitters in too many 0-2, 1-2 counts and puts you at the mercy of the umpire at times. That concept again IMHO take the aggressiveness out of the young hitters hands.

See a first pitch fastball attack it. It’s likely the best pitch you’ll see, and these guys are looking at it with their bat on the shoulder.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No offense, but that is the worst thing you could do.
Kid is only 22, has succeeded at every minor league level he’s been at. Defense and base running were stellar, but this is the MLB and if you want to stay you need to hit.

Hitting coach I think is an issue, but they are always the easiest scapegoat to blame. It’s the “control the zone” concept IMO that is screwing with our young hitters heads, they want them to take pitches early in the count which gets the hitters in too many 0-2, 1-2 counts and puts you at the mercy of the umpire at times. That concept again IMHO take the aggressiveness out of the young hitters hands.

See a first pitch fastball attack it. It’s likely the best pitch you’ll see, and these guys are looking at it with their bat on the shoulder.
Good points Hernia. And I know you were very high on Kelenic coming up as were many. As was myself.
I'm just seeing Dustin Ackley Jr at this point. Too many holes in his game at the major League level. I think if we trade him now before he gets labelled as a bust, we can still get some value in return.
I think with a better coaching staff around him, he would succeed. I've lost all faith in Servais and everyone on the coaching staff. Too many times guys just fizzle out here, and it's too common now to be coincidence

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I get the frustration with him I’m feeling it too. But, He has very little trade value as of this very moment.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Could he be Ackley or Ibanez?

Ibanez was sent down multiple times too.
Raul had a pretty nice career too.

Super cool guy in person as well. My nephews select team played against his sons team which he was coaching at the time. Took time to take pictures with the kids from the opposing team after the game.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Raul had a pretty nice career too.

Super cool guy in person as well. My nephews select team played against his sons team which he was coaching at the time. Took time to take pictures with the kids from the opposing team after the game.
That is awesome to hear!

sutz

Reaction score

beastalamode

Reaction score
Well, its hard to be successful as a young hitter when youre surrounded by .200 hitters. If he went to the yankees I'm sure he would immedietely start hitting .250