Its in the numbers

Chawker

Reaction score
Just numbers only !

Lets call subjet one as Pete

Now Pete has 11 players on his team, this team has a leader or cordinator, will call him Mr. Wrong they play defense.

Every team there play has 5 offensive linemen, now Mr. Wrong and Pete only have 3 defensive linemen.

5 vs 3 think about it ?

They have 4 LBers

5 vs 3 Double team 2 of the three and there Rb doulbs the third guy. Total double team.

So you blitz 2LBers. Now if even steven. But its taken 5 men to do it.

A four man front is susperior to a 3 man front. On flexibility only.

Which kind of numbers would be right for Pete and Mr wrong

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is a huge, massive, fundamental misunderstanding of how defenses work in the sport of football.

You're not looking at either the 4-3 or the 3-4 correctly. The 4-3 under that the Seahawks ran had an on-ball SAM, making it a 5 man front that looked a lot like a 3-4.

These fronts are hybrid in nature and share a lot more than you think.

Do you honestly think that professionals who have studied the game for their entire adult life, at such a level to where they're paid millions and millions of dollars solely for their expertise, are wrong at what you think is such a simple question?

These things are not as black and white as you think. They're nuanced.

BASF

Reaction score
This is a huge, massive, fundamental misunderstanding of how defenses work in the sport of football.

You're not looking at either the 4-3 or the 3-4 correctly. The 4-3 under that the Seahawks ran had an on-ball SAM, making it a 5 man front that looked a lot like a 3-4.

These fronts are hybrid in nature and share a lot more than you think.

Do you honestly think that professionals who have studied the game for their entire adult life, at such a level to where they're paid millions and millions of dollars solely for their expertise, are wrong at what you think is such a simple question?

These things are not as black and white as you think. They're nuanced.
I applaud you for your patience Mael.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So you blitz 2LBers. Now if even steven. But its taken 5 men to do it.
Or, get this:

You rush one and drop the other.

Congratulations, you've got the same exact thing as a 4 man front with the advantage of being able to disguise pressure.

boom-mind-blown.gif

u0087966

Reaction score
I thought the reason for the 3-4 was to get Jamal Adams 'up close and personal' to the line. His injury helped in the poop-a-palooza we saw on defense. I hope the Hawks can get a safety like Antonio Johnson or JL Skinner in the second or third round as they both look like hitters (I like Brian Branch as well but I think he's a first round selection). Less reliant on Jamal and adds depth to keep the 3-4 solid. What I'm getting at is there are only 3 linemen but LBs and Safeties coming up and blitzing makes it difficult for the offensive line to figure out what is coming and who they should be blocking.

First two pick should be on the defensive line to add quality players....too many missed tackles.

JL could bring fear to WRs going down the middle:

Johnson as well:

Last edited:

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Skinner is going to have to be careful about leading with his helmet at the NFL level. Love the way he brings the thump though. Johnson is solid too.

love Branch as a replacement for Diggs if we can save money there.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Unfortunately in the upcoming draft we don’t have large bodied interior D line that can eat up space laterally for the 3 -4 scheme to work. We may have to look at free agency. As per reports Poona and Jefferson were not being used to their skills of 4 3. This creates a huge challenge on the linebackers who are under sized. The draft is filled with fast under sized rushers . It takes a while to install a new scheme and get all the right personnel.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
With a 3 man front, the offense adds a TE, again a three doulbe teams. Its hard to get pressure on a QB when all of your pass rusher are doulbe teamed.

Only a idiot would defend a worthless scheme like what we ran this season. Otherwise you're embracing mediocrity and hopping for another losing season. Not me thank you.

Nunya

Reaction score
With a 3 man front, the offense adds a TE, again a three doulbe teams. Its hard to get pressure on a QB when all of your pass rusher are doulbe teamed.

Only a idiot would defend a worthless scheme like what we ran this season. Otherwise you're embracing mediocrity and hopping for another losing season. Not me thank you.
3-4 defense and 4-3 defense is nothing more than a semantic game. Defensive plays are still executed the same. The only significant difference is that the 3-4 defense is often trading strength for speed. There is not a "3 man front" as you claim unless the defense is running prevent. 4 players still line up on the line and rush. If there are 5 or more players rushing, that is a blitz.....no matter what the positions the players are assign to on the roster. You are thinking linear and seem to believe players seldom step out of their traditional roles based on their roster position. That is not anywhere close to how the game of football works.

u0087966

Reaction score
Unfortunately in the upcoming draft we don’t have large bodied interior D line that can eat up space laterally for the 3 -4 scheme to work. We may have to look at free agency. As per reports Poona and Jefferson were not being used to their skills of 4 3. This creates a huge challenge on the linebackers who are under sized. The draft is filled with fast under sized rushers . It takes a while to install a new scheme and get all the right personnel.
I like Carter, if he's there at 5......Bresee, Ika and Dexter would be good space eaters in the middle as well.

u0087966

Reaction score
Skinner is going to have to be careful about leading with his helmet at the NFL level. Love the way he brings the thump though. Johnson is solid too.

love Branch as a replacement for Diggs if we can save money there.
Skinner is 6'4 220...he could play a hybrid safety/linebacker. I agree, he needs to quit leading with his helmet or he's gonna get kicked out of a bunch of games for targeting.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
How can you possibly talk this much smack on a defensive scheme that you outright refuse to learn the basics of?

A "3 man front" does not have you rushing 3 players every play. You've actually generally got more beef closer to the LOS than the 4-3 over you're thinking of does.

And, yet again, it's what they've run a ton of the entire time this FO has been in Seattle!

3 4 Look I

You can have opinions on the scheme, but at least deal in facts instead of outright falsehood. Just spend like 2 minutes earnestly putting forth the effort to understand what you're talking about here.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As others have said, nobody plays 4-3 or 3-4 these days. The buzzword is "multiple front" and on any given play if you look at the alignment we will have a probable 1t, hardly ever 2i (two gap), maybe 3t, often 4i tech (two gap), maybe 5 tech, probable 7 tech and probable 9 tech. Having one of your DL two gap on a play means that the LB behind them can react better to the play unfolding.

What matters is that you have a player assigned to each gap, because on defense you don't get to decide what the offense does. That part we always do (barring a huge gaffe). The difficulty comes in once the play is underway because the offense doesn't play fair - they will try to overload whatever gap they are targetting. The defense's job is to react quickly to the play unfolding and make the changes on the fly necessary to defend it, and that is the part we weren't very good at.

I would love to be able to blame it on the scheme, but Poona and Jefferson were both lined up at 3 tech quite a bit this season just like they were last season. They just flat out did not play well and the alignment doesn't excuse them. In the Carolina game Poona was getting manhandled one on one by the opposing guard (admittedly a good one) on every snap he was in the game.