Is Marqise Lee the 2nd WR picked?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1qzpbre8 said:
cockeyhawk":1qzpbre8 said:
All I know is if we take the 8th receiver in the first round I will throw a tantrum. Oh I also know lee will not be on the board, I do know that!

You simply can't get so caught up in the "Nth best guy in the first round" talk.

It's really critical to understand that there often isn't a lot separating guys from the 15th through the 40th overall pick range. Every draft is entirely different. And as it pertains to WRs, there are major differences in WR types. The skills needed for an X receiver are widely different than that needed for a Z or a slot receiver.

Also, understand too, that a college player is going to get about as much instruction in his first offseason as he did in his college career. Players develop at widely varied rates due to a number of factors. What you see in May is not close to what you'll see in August. If that 8th best guy takes to your development program better, he'll be better.

No finer example to that reality, than Luke Willson v. Vance McDonald. Willson may have been close to the 30th best prospect on the outside. Yet one NFL season and he's caught nearly as many passes as the last 2 drafts of WR/RBs/TE combined that San Fransisco has brought in. He developed much faster and in all phases of his game.

Quality of coaching, no amatuer/NCAA limits on practice and development work, higher quality of QB play -- these things all contribute to massive changes between draft day and opening day. That 8th best guy may have a somewhat longer road to hoe. But that difference can be made up before training camp even starts in July.
:th2thumbs:

I wouldn't have been as thorough. Good post. I agree.

Latest posts