Intelligent-ish writeup of our Offense -

cymatica

Reaction score
They have no identity because they refuse to stick with what works. Waldron has no effing rhythm or patience, at all. He abandons the run even if it is working. They've had some damn good run plays that barely get used. I've seen them have damn good success on toss plays or outside runs in general, yet they keep hammering k9 up the gut.

He also went completely away from the heavy tight end sets, which were working. That should be their identity until someone stops it. They should be consistently running 2 or 3 TE sets with some 2 and 3 WR sets sprinkled in. That could easily be their identity, but for some reason their's no discipline and patience to stick with what works. Waldron has a reliable vehicle to drive around but instead insists on using the unfinished hot rod that breaks down every 10 miles.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
They have no identity because they refuse to stick with what works. Waldron has no effing rhythm or patience, at all. He abandons the run even if it is working. They've had some damn good run plays that barely get used. I've seen them have damn good success on toss plays or outside runs in general, yet they keep hammering k9 up the gut.

He also went completely away from the heavy tight end sets, which were working. That should be their identity until someone stops it. They should be consistently running 2 or 3 TE sets with some 2 and 3 WR sets sprinkled in. That could easily be their identity, but for some reason their's no discipline and patience to stick with what works. Waldron has a reliable vehicle to drive around but instead insists on using the unfinished hot rod that breaks down every 10 miles.
Since this same exact trend happens with every offensive coordinator we have had through the Pete Carroll era, I don't think the string of OCs are really the heart of the problem.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Since this same exact trend happens with every offensive coordinator we have had through the Pete Carroll era, I don't think the string of OCs are really the heart of the problem.
I was JUST THINKING OF THAT overnight.

I was like Bevell, Schotty, Waldron.......... hmmmmm..... Didn't they all eventually meet the same-ish fates on the playcalling road?

It's an unavoidable point. Especially considering that Waldron DIDN'T START BROKEN ;) He started pretty amazingly.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I think a certain WR will throw a tantrum if the offense consistently goes to the 3 TE set.
Could you be a little more specific? I'm racking my brain, but I honestly can't think of who you might even be referring to?

</sarcasm>

knownone

Reaction score
The most glaring problem in our offense is the offensive line, particularly RT. In games with limited pressure, we're one of the most efficient passing and rushing offenses. Against teams with elite front 7s, we've been near the bottom of the league. What's concerning is it's not clear how the coaching staff can fix these issues without getting Lucas back or the guys we have playing significantly better.

Waldron's offense is all about volume. He needs to establish specific looks to create explosive plays down the field. It's similar to a technician in boxing, using jabs and feints to create an opening in the opponent's defense, distract them, or get them to move in ways that make them vulnerable to counters. That's the same underlying philosophy with McVay and Shanahan's offenses. It's all about starting fast and giving defenses multiple variations of the same look while using motion to create openings. Consequently, if Waldron can't dip into his bag, the offense is not going anywhere.

That's not an identity issue. The Seahawks know precisely who they want to be. They just aren't capable of being that consistently against elite defenses.

nwHawk

Reaction score
What's concerning is it's not clear how the coaching staff can fix these issues without getting Lucas back or the guys we have playing significantly better.
I made a comment about this a few days before this game and got some pushback from a few posters (not you). It should be a surprise to those paying attention.

Vesuve

Reaction score
From OP Calgary Fan's article in the Athletic.

Running yards this game. I missed a lot of the game. Will have to see the 40 minute version on Gamepass:

Seattle had season lows in total yards (151) and points. Smith turned the ball over twice; once via interception, another on a fumble while being sacked. The Seahawks’ running backs combined for 24 yards on 13 carries, and the team finished with a season-low (by far) 28 yards on the ground.

Xxx

Reaction score
Uh, have you consistently watched most/all of our games since Pete Carroll has been our head coach? My statement is really not speculation.
I have watched and Pete’s offense always kinda looks similar eventually. No short passes and power run. No short blitz beating passes whatsoever. No screens, when have you ever said Seattle was good at screens, but we sure get beat by them. Even the crossing drag routes and slants where the quarterback can throw it quick or run for his life right away rolling with the receiver. Lockett is great at that. But the ingenuity stuff I never think that about Pete’s offense no matter the coordinator. I have seen some cool screens this year though. The red zone touchdowns against Cleveland were both like screens, Bobos wasn’t a true screen but his play smarts made it like one and Jsn’s was a beautiful play in the red zone to win the game. Where was that against Baltimore. That’s how you beat the blitz and then you run and then you can throw deep like Pete wants to.

cymatica

Reaction score
I have to agree, seems like things are always ending up with us running up the gut into a brickwall or trying to throw to receivers who's routes take to long to get open.
Hard to believe Pete insists that he calls runs up the middle

HawkinNY

Reaction score

Yea go back to the 2 TE sets. Seems like they want 4 WR’s out there and have zero movement before the snap. Very predictable offense. Waldron also seems to call bad games. Doesn’t do well in the second half. Adjustments are never seen. I blame him more than anyone else. Receivers were not getting open at all.

mrblitz

Reaction score
that baltimore game was embarrassing. it looked like baltimore knew our offensive playbook, better than we did. they were always in position, before the seahawks were.

it would help to have a mobile qb like russell in his rookie contract. having a qb that can take off running for chunks of yardage, or run circles scrambling in the backfield; that takes the wind out of the defense, and gets the running plays to k9/zach working even better.

renofox

Reaction score
that baltimore game was embarrassing. it looked like baltimore knew our offensive playbook, better than we did. they were always in position, before the seahawks were.

it would help to have a mobile qb like russell in his rookie contract. having a qb that can take off running for chunks of yardage, or run circles scrambling in the backfield; that takes the wind out of the defense, and gets the running plays to k9/zach working even better.
Yep. If you have a good O-line then a pure pocket passer (luke Geno has pretty much become) is a good fit. If your O-line has issues then a scrambling QB is a must.

When has PC successfully built a capable O-line? He hasn't seemed to be able to do it in 13 years here. Prime RW was a great fit because he covered up PC's incompetence.

Geno + PC is not a good fit when facing teams with good defenses. Like, you know, the teams that make the playoffs.

One and done, yet again, seems to be about the limit for 9 years running.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Hush with your common sense replies. Pete is a God who should be retained as the head coach long after he has passed away. It couldn't possibly get any better.

Latest posts