Hue Jackson heading to the 49ers?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
See Hue. See Hue leverage a crap organization to get a job that's actually decent.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Marvin49":3hx6sf60 said:
Laloosh":3hx6sf60 said:
Who wouldn't want to work for York?

Well, Mike Silver has been saying for awhile that the 49ers job is far more attractive than is publically percieved...

...but he is admittedly a bit of a homer. He loves the Bay Area and is a Cal grad. He's also been banging the Hue Jackson drum for some time.

I asked him today (via Twitter) if I was dreamin' in wanting Jackson to sign in SF and his one word answer was "no".

We'll see.

What is so attractive about the 49ers job?

I dont see it.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":111zth07 said:
Marvin49":111zth07 said:
Laloosh":111zth07 said:
Who wouldn't want to work for York?

Well, Mike Silver has been saying for awhile that the 49ers job is far more attractive than is publically percieved...

...but he is admittedly a bit of a homer. He loves the Bay Area and is a Cal grad. He's also been banging the Hue Jackson drum for some time.

I asked him today (via Twitter) if I was dreamin' in wanting Jackson to sign in SF and his one word answer was "no".

We'll see.

I dont see it.

How dare you. They won a super bowl 22 years ago, I'll have you know!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":182k5wby said:

I dont see it.

Lots of attractive things about it, just as there are some pretty major unattractive things about it.

I think the Eagles and Giants are the two best jobs available this year, then the 9ers 9ers, Bucs, and Titans all have major upsides and downsides, and the Cleveland job is clearly the worst one (as most people have noted, although I know the NFL link rated the 9ers lower).

UPSIDES TO 9ERS JOB:

Prestige NFL franchise; Major market that's going to get even bigger if the Raiders leave; New stadium; Recent success; Desirable location; Tons of draft picks; Recent history of willingness to spend in FA; No big and bad contracts on the books; Younger team more prone to being molded to the coach's vision; Kaepernick if you want him, no Kaepernick if you don't; More ancillary income money floating around locally than anywhere else in the U.S. right now (e.g. private corporate speaking gigs on leadership and other nonsense); Chances for increased power in the future should things not go well (GM will likely get fired before the next coach if the team doesn't improve).

DOWNSIDES TO 9ERS JOB:

An owner with an itchy trigger finger (this is just the worst) who if he hasn't learned could end up as the next Dan Snyder; Has to be okay with not having total control; A questionably talented roster; no clear QB in place; a fanbase with outsized expectations that's generally pretty resentful right now.

OVERALL:

IMO the Giants and Eagles are clearly the best two jobs in the NFL because they have owners who stick by their decisions and don't cycle through coaches. If you've been cycing through coaches you just can't compete with coach friendly ownership. The Eagles have a more talented roster overall but the Giants have Eli. They're a wash, and both great jobs, IMO.

Bucs and Titans have Jameis and Marcus, and the Bucs have some talent in addition to Jameis. Not much going for either of these gigs beyond that. The Dolphins don't have major upsides or downsides, depending on thoughts on if Tannehill is someone you're stuck with or is salvageable.

The only upside to the Browns gig is a chance at total control. Everything else about that job is a dumpster fire.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Nice post Popeye,another plus to the job..They have Marvin for social media relations

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1t3fd22p said:
FlyingGreg":1t3fd22p said:

I dont see it.

DOWNSIDES TO 9ERS JOB:

An owner with an itchy trigger finger (this is just the worst) who if he hasn't learned could end up as the next Dan Snyder; Has to be okay with not having total control; A questionably talented roster; no clear QB in place; a fanbase with outsized expectations that's generally pretty resentful right now.

Agree with everything else you said but the the total control and itchy trigger finger are what jump out at me.

Itchy trigger finger also translates to an owner who seems deeply in bed with the GM and no signs point to that changing especially when you factor in he chose him over Harbaugh. If I'm a coaching candidate that one is real bothersome.

Total control is the real issue when you will be asked to develop an offense with players that Ballke drafts and his history of offensive talent is pretty sparse. Outside of the injury grab of Hyde (that is still a big question mark) and a full back conversion has he drafted one starter on that offense? WR has been a colossal miss along with O-line and Kaep (most blame on Harbaugh) is his only QB. He even traded multiple picks to move up in front of Seattle to take Vance who he thought we were targeting and allowed us to wait until the 5th to take Luke Willson who even though hasn't become a stud has grossly outperformed Vance.

Defensively he seems to do OKish but I think the first draft looks more and more like McClouhan's draft analysis than Balkke's.

How long will it take for trouble to brew if he isn't able to produce and wants more say in the offensive draft process?

Or do you think they will use FA exclusively to fill the offensive side of the team?

The fan base has been pretty brutal also. How long before they turn on him like they have on Balkke and York?

I agree with your upside points but I really think you are downplaying the downside a bit.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The ninny job is very undesirable. The GM is on the hot seat.

You get hired, the season doesn't go well, the GM gets fired.

New GM comes in and hires his own guy. We've seen it time and time again in the NFL.

Coaches who take a job with a team that has a sketchy front office is a recipe to get fired. I'd run away from that job.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1pxldcwi said:
Nice post Popeye,another plus to the job..They have Marvin for social media relations
Better yet, he works for free. 8)
I always thought he should get paid for the hard work he does though. 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
As a proven coach you don't want the 49er job, Harbaugh goes to a Super Bowl, puts a winning product on the field and gets undercut by the front office and let go, Tomsula hired and let go. Balke want's to call all the shots and is now coaching players, Bad JUJU situation for a HC unless you can get control and be able to tell Balke to stay in his office, and that when you need something you will call him and want to have a say in all personel transactions.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3ral209m said:
The ninny job is very undesirable. The GM is on the hot seat.

You get hired, the season doesn't go well, the GM gets fired.

New GM comes in and hires his own guy. We've seen it time and time again in the NFL.

Coaches who take a job with a team that has a sketchy front office is a recipe to get fired. I'd run away from that job.

That's actually a great point that no one has brought up.

kearly

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":11q8n5mn said:

I dont see it.

It's a head coaching job in the NFL and a team with some past history. It's a relatively mellow media market compared to the Eastern US. And while the owner is a doofus, at least he and his doofus GM are on the same page, which creates good job security for any *competent* coach that comes in and is willing to take marching orders.

I just can't see York firing Baalke any time soon. York and Baalke are both partners in crime and York seems too young and stubborn to admit mistakes. York chose Baalke over one of the NFL's very best coaches in Harbaugh, which should tell you a lot about how tight-knit York and Baalke are.

Jackson was hustled out the door after just one season at his previous HC job due to a new GM taking over. So I can see how having both the owner and the GM being locked down would be appealing to Jackson. I think it would be a good hire for SF, and if he accepts, I'd expect Jackson to last at least 4 years in SF.

Jackson is a native of L.A., so it's a job close to home as well.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If Niner fans really want Hue, they better be rooting for Cincinnati tonight. On one of the talking head shows today they mentioned that if Cincy loses in the first round again Marvin might be fired, with Hue possibly named his successor.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Good god.

Why would anyone want anyone from the Bengal staff?

The entire staff is neutered.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2x7x0tp5 said:
If Niner fans really want Hue, they better be rooting for Cincinnati tonight. On one of the talking head shows today they mentioned that if Cincy loses in the first round again Marvin might be fired, with Hue possibly named his successor.
And speak of the devil. After tonight's debacle it could get real interesting real fast for him.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
RichNhansom":217jnx9n said:
Popeyejones":217jnx9n said:
FlyingGreg":217jnx9n said:

I dont see it.

DOWNSIDES TO 9ERS JOB:

Agree with everything else you said but the the total control and itchy trigger finger are what jump out at me.

Itchy trigger finger also translates to an owner who seems deeply in bed with the GM and no signs point to that changing especially when you factor in he chose him over Harbaugh. If I'm a coaching candidate that one is real bothersome.

Total control is the real issue when you will be asked to develop an offense with players that Ballke drafts and his history of offensive talent is pretty sparse. Outside of the injury grab of Hyde (that is still a big question mark) and a full back conversion has he drafted one starter on that offense? WR has been a colossal miss along with O-line and Kaep (most blame on Harbaugh) is his only QB. He even traded multiple picks to move up in front of Seattle to take Vance who he thought we were targeting and allowed us to wait until the 5th to take Luke Willson who even though hasn't become a stud has grossly outperformed Vance.

Defensively he seems to do OKish but I think the first draft looks more and more like McClouhan's draft analysis than Balkke's.

How long will it take for trouble to brew if he isn't able to produce and wants more say in the offensive draft process?

Or do you think they will use FA exclusively to fill the offensive side of the team?

The fan base has been pretty brutal also. How long before they turn on him like they have on Balkke and York?

I agree with your upside points but I really think you are downplaying the downside a bit.

^^^Absolutely this, "No Cred Jed," & Baalke are totally the downside of the Forty-Niners Franchise in its current state.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
After watching Cincy's 2-pt conversion last night... I take everything positive I said about Hue Jackson back!

:lol: :lol: