How would you define success for Macdonald’s first season?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
you expect 11 wins? Dayum.

I don't expect it, but that's what I would define as a successful season in and of itself. If we have a losing season, fair enough, give the new staff time to get things going, but I'm not going to call a repeat of last year's record or worse a "success".

The way I see it, we largely have the same roster as last year. The safety position should be better (how could it get any worse?), the defense overall should be better, too. So shouldn't we have a shot to improve upon last year's record?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Do you anticipate the team being worse in certain ways? Or is it a matter of a tougher schedule?
We have a whole new coaching staff on both sides of the ball implementing completely new schemes. There are a lot of variables here and some may not go our way. I think stating 11 wins is a little too expectant even with the same or improved talent. I'm more focused on seeing what the new system looks like and signs that it's starting to be successful at some point in the season. It may take 6 games for this to start clicking and that's ok as long as it does.

Uk HD Seahawk

Reaction score
Along with improvements in Offense, Defense and Special Teams (when was the last time a Hawk player returned a kickoff or a punt for a TD?) I'd like to see improvements in coaching and coaching decisions - clock management, use of challenges, etc.

Uk HD Seahawk

Reaction score
Quite a tough schedule this season
Cardinals will improve if Kyler fit for season, Marvin Harrison could be quite exciting

Hawks have enough firepower but is Geno the man, or even Sam Howell
Also expect the Defense to improve with the new Head Coach

Possibly sneak a Play Off berth

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Pete took over a 5-11 team and improved them to 7 wins and a playoff win in his first year. I want Macdonald to have a similar improvement, and the situation he's inheriting isn't nearly as bad as what Pete walked into.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
A few things that we knew about 2023:
  1. Old Carroll lost his fastball as a XO guy, heck his defense sucked for a few seasons.
  2. We had substandard OC and DC, especially DC.
  3. Players quitted on Old Carroll, remember Adams? etc.,
  4. Quite a few players we cut couldn't find new jobs.
A few things that we know about 2024:
  1. Young Macdonald is an XO genius, the best in the league!
  2. The roster turned over with players picked to play Macdonald ball.
  3. The key offense players all returned, especially skill position players.
  4. We drafted the best defense player.
I couldn't accept why Hawks '24 wouldn't be better than '23.

Go Hawks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Personally, I very much doubt that coaching will be our problem this year defensively. That's coming from somebody who didn't think that coaching was our problem last year either.

If we do start off poorly, then I would hope that many of the more vocal coaching critics here would use that as an opportunity to reconsider their own biases about coaching holding the team back. Blaming coaching is the easy road compared to looking at poor roster construction, key injuries, randomness (plays or officiating), or lack of personal accountability on the part of the players.

We had one of the worst defensive rosters in the NFL last season with Adams/Woolen/Nwosu's injuries, Wagner/Diggs over the hill, and poor interior DL play dependent on rookies and Williams having to integrate into the unit mid-season. Our personnel looks much improved on paper, but that's just theoretical improvement for now. If we do struggle then the hot seat should be the front office first, but it could still be for many reasons beyond poor talent evaluation. Key injuries, a couple of plays that we just didn't make, growing pains with learning a completely new system, and so forth.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Pete took over a 5-11 team and improved them to 7 wins and a playoff win in his first year. I want Macdonald to have a similar improvement, and the situation he's inheriting isn't nearly as bad as what Pete walked into.
That season, ie 2010, was an anomaly. We were one of the few teams, if not the first, to qualify with a losing record. Our division the worst in the league, with 4 of those 7 wins coming from NFC West teams. The majority of losses we lost big time. We also have to keep in mind that Pete got dealt some pretty high draft picks that year, two in the top 15.

I wouldn't expect Macdonald to make a two-game improvement based on what Pete was able to do in his first season. Besides, it's mathematically easier to make a two-game improvement coming off a 5-11 season than coming off a 9-8 year.

Having said that, I'm not going to be surprised if 11 or more wins happens, just that I'm not expecting it. There is some logic in what you're saying. Although we have plenty of warts, it's not as bad of a situation that Pete inherited back in 2010.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Wins and loses wouldn’t matter to me, what matters is being competitive and making progress on consistency and efficiency in the new system. It will take players coaches and play calling to adjust but disciplined repetitions and keeping opponents guessing should be the progress we should always look for. An early draft pick could be considered a blessing if it comes to that. Success for me is to be the best in the division within the first 3 seasons. If there is one thing I want to continue Pete’s tradition is don’t make an excuse for 10 am games and dominate under the lights prime time games. Let’s be relevant

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
11 wins. Better defense.

Can't think of any reason why the team should regress.
I see a possible breakout season for JSN with a year of experience and better use of his skills in the offense.

Two factors on defense (1) better coaching, and (2) Byron Murphy as strong candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

This adds up to a better season with 10-11 wins.

AlbaHawk

Reaction score
9+ wins woudl do it for me, especially if there are signs that we are getting better towards the end of the season.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
-The Defense gets off the field on third down.

-Seahawks make a tackle.

Latest posts