Henley position?

BASF

Reaction score
I have been watching his highlights since he may be a decent off ball linebacker for us out of the third round. My question is that it seems he was used as an off ball linebacker and as a box safety that covered the slot quite a bit. Was the box safety stuff simply part of the scheme that they ran? Is it just that your guys slot corners were not that good in coverage? Was the rather deep set up for the linebackers something the coaching staff preferred because Henley was fast enough to attack the line of scrimmage? Was it to give him a little more time to recognize plays?

getnasty

Reaction score
I can't say for sure but i don't remember him playing safety much. Their linebackbacks do line up off the ball fairly deep but i think that just a coaching preference. I love Henley and would love to have him, explosive guy, great in coverage, great blitzer, great at attacking. For him to be successful comes down to how will his run defense be. I think you plug him into the defense last year with that DL your gonna hate him. You put him in space where he can fly and make plays he'll shine.

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
I can't say for sure but i don't remember him playing safety much. Their linebackbacks do line up off the ball fairly deep but i think that just a coaching preference. I love Henley and would love to have him, explosive guy, great in coverage, great blitzer, great at attacking. For him to be successful comes down to how will his run defense be. I think you plug him into the defense last year with that DL your gonna hate him. You put him in space where he can fly and make plays he'll shine.
Thanks for your input

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I have been watching his highlights since he may be a decent off ball linebacker for us out of the third round. My question is that it seems he was used as an off ball linebacker and as a box safety that covered the slot quite a bit. Was the box safety stuff simply part of the scheme that they ran? Is it just that your guys slot corners were not that good in coverage? Was the rather deep set up for the linebackers something the coaching staff preferred because Henley was fast enough to attack the line of scrimmage? Was it to give him a little more time to recognize plays?
Clemson did the same thing with Trenton Simpson. I remember hearing Clemson did it as much as 40% of the time