Hawks release C, promote WR from PS to 53

seabowl

Reaction score
Walters had great chemistry with Russell in camp. A very poor mans Largent at this point but he can make plays and get open.

ivotuk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zr9m035 said:
FlyingGreg":1zr9m035 said:
He is also a one trick pony (9 route).

One trick pony > no trick pony? What has Walters shown in pre-season or otherwise? Also, if he's not returning kicks, I'm pretty skeptical of what he's contributing to special teams. All I'm saying is that Williams is a better #5 option than Walters. I think 32 NFL teams would agree.

You mean 31? Because i know one that would disagree. And are you saying that just because 31 other teams think something, that it's smarter than what our team thinks? 31 other teams also passed on half our roster. So I'm thinking citing the other 31 teams makes for a poor argument.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Guys, Stephen Williams is a better wide receiver than Bryan Walters. Period. I think even John Schneider would agree. Why are you guys pushing so hard against this point? No one's talking about Kearse here. Williams vs. Walters only. Williams wins.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1smvx47u said:
Guys, Stephen Williams is a better wide receiver than Bryan Walters. Period. I think even John Schneider would agree. Why are you guys pushing so hard against this point? No one's talking about Kearse here. Williams vs. Walters only. Williams wins.

And you're wasting your time complaining about the guy who is going to get cut to make room for Percy Harvin.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1jojyf06 said:
DavidSeven":1jojyf06 said:

And you're wasting your time complaining about the guy who is going to get cut to make room for Percy Harvin.

Lol, all I said was I'd rather have Williams as a depth receiver over Walters. What's wrong with that? I never bashed our FO. In fact, I was the one who explained why they had to do it.

McGruff

Reaction score
Williams didn't want to play ST's . . . Walters did.

I suspect that this is as much about getting Kearse on the field as it is about Walters and Williams.

McGruff

Reaction score
Walters alsa has a better repertoire of routes. He may not kill you on the fly, but he's tough across the middle. I remember him really impressing that last PS game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":wozsse4f said:
Great! Maybe we now have a kick return guy! Kearse was doing okay, but he seemed hesitant and isn't a real threat to go shook the way. Hopefully Walters kick return TD wasn't just a preseason aberration.

Doubt Walters sees the field as a return man. Likely will be Tate/Kearse still

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":362r3s4y said:
Apparently John Schneider didn't get your memo Dave, cuz he KEPT Walters and let Williams go.
Just maybe having the "Special Teams" gig on your side, ranks pretty high with PC & JS.
Only they can answer as to why they decide to keep players, that we fans would just as soon let walk.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
seabowl":1xbicxpl said:
Walters had great chemistry with Russell in camp. A very poor mans Largent at this point but he can make plays and get open.

I agree he was on my training camp watch list as Pretty good hands, excellent routes and wasn't afraid to block in the run game.
he also returned punts/kicks if you call it that in training camp. and he's fast.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3jxc5twg said:
DavidSeven":3jxc5twg said:
Apparently John Schneider didn't get your memo Dave, cuz he KEPT Walters and let Williams go.
Just maybe having the "Special Teams" gig on your side, ranks pretty high with PC & JS.
Only they can answer as to why they decide to keep players, that we fans would just as soon let walk.

Well, it didnt really work out like that. Walters was on the practice squad when the team had to cut Williams to keep an extra center. If Walters was on the active roster, he probably would've been the one who was cut.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Stephen Williams was cut for the exact same reasons Ricardo Lockette was. He's a one-trick pony and doesn't contribute on ST.

chris98251

Reaction score
Walters can run more then one route, he can play on special teams, he can catch the ball in traffic and has good burst out of his routes. Williams had good straight line speed and had height. Didn't play special teams, didn't use the whole field to make plays. Williams is great for jump balls but as a player willing to be a gunner or return guy and give up his body Walters brings more to the table for right now. Harvin will take his place and he will go back to practice squad, but in the event we don't sign Golden he would be a quick replacement short term.

iigakusei

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3rahxm4h said:
Stephen Williams was cut for the exact same reasons Ricardo Lockette was. He's a one-trick pony and doesn't contribute on ST.

Can someone explain to me why a player like Williams wouldn't play special teams? Is it really that difficult. I realize you have to be fearless and positionally sound, is there other strengths that go into it? He must know that is his best chance of making the team - so he should be working at it. Do some players just not "excel" at special teams?

chris98251

Reaction score
He has a history of injuries, also his body type lanky and thin and so tall plays against him, he is not very broad in the shoulders so tackleing would be harder, as a gunner he needs to be able to fight through blocks and his lankiness and height would make it easy for someone to take him out. He never looked very physical even going for the ball more then being able to out reach them.

I liked when we threw deep to him, but as teams know his game and thats all he does it's so easy to defend.

drdiags

Reaction score
rsm650":25mrq9vk said:
Also how come I can't delete posts in this forum when there is a delete button?

Once others have posted after you in a thread you cannot delete your post. Only mods have the ability at that point. Only choice you have is to edit the post and clear all the content and leave at least one character in it. Maybe the newly re-factored forum will allow you this option? You could send a message to [email protected]